You limited your search to:

  Partner: Irving Archives
 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Date: 1959
Creator: unknown
Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank

Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank

Date: 1947
Creator: unknown
Description: Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
PTA Officers, 1936

PTA Officers, 1936

Date: 1936
Creator: unknown
Description: PTA officers for the Irving public school system in 1936. Seated left to right: Mrs. F. N. Broach, Mrs. H. W. Simmons, Mrs. W. H. George, Mrs. Edgar Davis, Mrs. Ralph Barr, Mrs. Clyde Kirkpatrick, and Mrs. W. R. Duckworth; standing left to right: Mrs. A. C. Bolden, Mrs. R. L. Kirkpatrick, School Supt. A. S. Johnston, Mrs. Johnston, and Mrs. Ben Hurwitz.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Lucas Children in Front of Car

Lucas Children in Front of Car

Date: 1929
Creator: unknown
Description: Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Irving High School Football Team, 1924

Irving High School Football Team, 1924

Date: 1924
Creator: unknown
Description: Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Irving High School Girls' Basketball Team, 1922

Irving High School Girls' Basketball Team, 1922

Date: 1922
Creator: unknown
Description: Irving High School girls' basketball team, 1922. Left to right are: Mae Mitchell, Exie Cunningham, Delma Crowe, Wilma Harkey, unidentified, Lillian Embree
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
W. D. Lucas Store - Interior

W. D. Lucas Store - Interior

Date: 1919
Creator: unknown
Description: W. D. "Doug" Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. In this photo, he is seen behind the counter.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Irving High School Graduating Class of 1916

Irving High School Graduating Class of 1916

Date: 1916
Creator: unknown
Description: Graduating class of Irving High School, 1916. First row, front to back, are: Osten Cushenberry, Frank Haley, and Roy Lively. Second row, front to back, are: Theo Dehaes, Inez Moore, Homer Duckworth. Third row, front to back, are: Susie Clark, Velma Duckworth, and Roy Miller.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Wedding Picture of Joe and Essie Keeling

Wedding Picture of Joe and Essie Keeling

Date: 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: Essie Jones and Joe Keeling's wedding picture. Essie Jones and Joe Keeling were married in 1910. Both lived most of their lives in Irving. They had three children: Helen, Weldon and Clyde.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
West Fork of the Trinity River in Flood Stage

West Fork of the Trinity River in Flood Stage

Date: 1908
Creator: unknown
Description: Irving was established between the Elm and West Forks of the Trinity River. Flooding was a common occurrence along the river prior to its re-channeling and the construction of a levee system. During Irving's early decades, the primary route from Irving to Dallas was across the West Fork. In 1908, a major flood washed out the bridges and isolated Irvingites until the waters receded.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST