You limited your search to:

  Partner: Irving Archives
 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Sunday Afternoon at the River

Sunday Afternoon at the River

Date: c. 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: Irving was founded where the West Fork and the Elm Fork converge to form the Trinity River. During the early part of the twentieth century, the locals made day trips and weekend jaunts to enjoy nature along the forks of the river.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Seiber Store - Interior

Seiber Store - Interior

Date: c. 1915
Creator: unknown
Description: Henry Alvis Seiber owned this general store along Main Street in Irving, Texas, c. 1915.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
First St. Luke's Catholic Church

First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
J. B. Howard House

J. B. Howard House

Date: c. 1904
Creator: unknown
Description: A lady standing on a porch at the Howard home at 318 Iowa (now O’Connor Rd.), believed to be Irving's oldest existing house, built in 1904.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
West Side of Main Street, c. 1908

West Side of Main Street, c. 1908

Date: c. 1908
Creator: unknown
Description: Main Street, Irving, Texas, c. 1908. West side of Main St. between First St. (Irving Blvd.) and Second St.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Train at the Irving Depot

Train at the Irving Depot

Date: c. 1905
Creator: unknown
Description: Train at the Irving Depot. Completed in 1903, the site of the Chicago Rock Island & Gulf railroad depot also served as the location of the 1903 lot sale that founded Irving.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Howard-Beaufford House

Howard-Beaufford House

Date: c. 1904
Creator: unknown
Description: Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Cotton Gin

Cotton Gin

Date: c. 1910 - 1915
Creator: unknown
Description: Cotton gin, Irving, Texas
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Sowers School, 1906

Sowers School, 1906

Date: 1906
Creator: unknown
Description: The Sowers School served the Sowers community, located about a mile west of Irving, near the present-day intersection of Pioneer and Belt Line Road. The teachers pictured are John Roberts (later Dr. John Roberts) and Miss Mary Ruth Wespey. The school was one large room, and the boys carried in drinking water from a well a quarter of a mile away. Classes were held from 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. Top row: Allie Lanotte, Etta Eaton, unknown, Bess Kimble, Sally Haley, Ethel Barton, unknown, Ruby Slater, Nancy Slater, Mary Ruth Wespey, Ethel Tompkins, Jeanie Barton, John Roberts, unknown, Mabel Gilbert, Sam Mitchell, unknown, Thurston Jernigan, Hayde Gilbert, Kimble, Clay Gilbert, Tom Taylor, and Charlie Wilson Middle row: Nora Lusk, unknown, Marie Lanotte, Claudie Barton, Lillie Williams, Stella Slater, Minnie Moore, Moore, Jettie Rucker, Sitton, George Wilson, unknown, Fannie Slater, Grider Taylor, N. Jernigan, Bill Bietendorf, Paul Gilbert (with white glove), Ed Avrett, Jess Moore, Oscar Tompkins, Allen Avrett, Willie Smith, Arthur Smith, Carrie Lusk, Pauline Isadore, Ernestine Isadore, and Alice Lusk Bottom row: Most are unidentified, but some are Lawrence Ranft, Sidney Ranft, Dan Barton, Dan Gilbert, Floyd Eaton, Winnie Eaton, Adolph Bietendorf (with bat), W.B. “Bill” Gilbert (holding catcher’s ...
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Irving Index Workshop

Irving Index Workshop

Date: c. 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: This building served as the home of the "Irving Index" in Irving. It was built behind the home of the newspaper's owner, R. M. Hudson.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives