You limited your search to:

  Partner: Irving Archives
 Language: No Language
 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Early Irvingites on the Road
Early Irvingites take to the road, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3261/
Elm School Student Body
The Elm school served the farming community know as Elm which was located just north of Irving. Pictured in the back row left to right are: teacher Mrs. Holland, Lee Metker, Mary Farine, Ruth Holt, Lucy Parker, Sadie Watkins, Henry Farine, and Maudie Carroll. Next row: Lucy Farine, John Farine, Gus Story, Clyde Allen, Arthur Farine, Lillian Works, and Lela Toler. Next row: Ora Seat, Bill Metker, Foy Holt, Irene Nichols, Thelma Works, and Ann Carroll. Front row: Howard Parker, Fred Story, Milton Holt, Roy Bailey, and Bertha Farine. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3276/
Essie and Joe Keeling Family
Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3270/
First St. Luke's Catholic Church
First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3290/
Hawks Chapel Methodist Church
The Union Bower community was settled during the 1880s. It was located about north and east of the town site of Irving, which was founded in 1903. The Reverend W. E. Hawks of Dallas, who had been preaching in the Union Bower area since 1887, directed the building of a church in the community. In 1907, Hawks Chapel Methodist Church opened. In this photo, members of the congregation pose in front of the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3234/
Helen Keeling Sale on Her Wedding Day
Helen Keeling Sale on her wedding day. Helen Keeling, daughter of early Irvingites Joe and Essie Keeling, is pictured on the day she married Robert Sale. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3269/
Henry Britain Home
The home of Henry W. Britain, the rancher who sold eighty acres to J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown for the original Irving townsite. The land sold for $30 an acre. This home was located near Nursery and Perry roads. Further to the south, Britain watered his livestock at the pond near the intersection of Nursery and Irving Blvd. The Britain family came to this area in 1859. Dave, Lee, Eunice, and Henry W. Britain are among those in the photo. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3264/
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story. The Story family came from Illinois to the area that would later become Irving in 1855. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3238/
Hezekiah Story Family
The Story family was one of the pioneer families to the region. Here Hezekiah Story is pictured with his family. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3236/
Irving Cotton Gin
The cotton gin, located at Irving Boulevard and Britain, was dismantled about 1916. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3263/
Irving High School Football Team, 1924
Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3248/
Irving High School Graduating Class of 1916
Graduating class of Irving High School, 1916. First row, front to back, are: Osten Cushenberry, Frank Haley, and Roy Lively. Second row, front to back, are: Theo Dehaes, Inez Moore, Homer Duckworth. Third row, front to back, are: Susie Clark, Velma Duckworth, and Roy Miller. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3249/
Irving Index Workshop
This building served as the home of the "Irving Index" in Irving. It was built behind the home of the newspaper's owner, R. M. Hudson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3272/
Irving Motoring Enthusiasts
Early Irvingites prepare for a motor outing, c. 1912. On the left is the Schulze family automobile and on the right is the Robinson family car. The boy on the running board is Joe Williamson. Behind the wheel is Percy Schulze and next to him is his wife, Virginia. In the other vehicle, in no particular order are, Mr. T. G. Robinson, Mr. Williamson, May Williamson, Mrs. T. G. Robinson, Ward Robinson, and Mrs. Marsh. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3268/
Irving School's Third Grade Class, c. 1930s
Mrs. White's third grade class, c. 1930s. The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The building in this photograph was a three-story red brick building that was constructed in 1913. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3258/
Irving Student Body at the Water Tower
The student body of the Irving Independent School District gathers at the water tower, which was in the middle of the intersection of Main and First streets (Irving Blvd.), to celebrate growing to a district of 500 students, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3242/
J. B. Howard House
A lady standing on a porch at the Howard home at 318 Iowa (now O’Connor Rd.), believed to be Irving's oldest existing house, built in 1904. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3298/
Jerry and Della Story
Jerry and Della Story. When the post office moved from the Kit community to the town of Irving in 1904, Jerry Story served as temporary postmaster. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3226/
Lloyd Smith and Brother
Lloyd and Bertie Smith, sons of William and Virginia Smith, area pioneers in the Union Bower community, c. 1894. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3233/
Lucas Children in Front of Car
Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3284/
Lucas Family
Lucas family left to right: Mahala Williams Lucas Roberts, Henry Lucas, Doug Lucas, Charlie Lucas, Jack Lucas, and Etta Williams Roberts texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3250/
Main Street, Irving, Texas
This photo is taken looking north up Main Street. The town's water tower was over a well in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and First Street (today Irving Blvd.). Main Street dead-ended into the railroad depot. The depot can be seen behind the water tower. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3252/
Main Street Irving, Texas, c. 1904
West side of Main Street, Irving, Texas, shortly after the founding of the town in December 1903. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3283/
Model T Ford
Model T Ford Pickup. In the vehicle are W. D. Lucas's sons Howard and Ray, c. 1915 texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3239/
Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House
This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3254/
Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service
Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3246/
Musicians in the Union Bower Community
This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3232/
Pierce's Jitney Service
Prior to Irving receiving bus service in 1930, several Irvingites operated jitney services to transport locals from Irving to downtown Dallas. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated one of the first of these services. In this photo, she posed around the jitney with her customers, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3245/
PTA Officers, 1936
PTA officers for the Irving public school system in 1936. Seated left to right: Mrs. F. N. Broach, Mrs. H. W. Simmons, Mrs. W. H. George, Mrs. Edgar Davis, Mrs. Ralph Barr, Mrs. Clyde Kirkpatrick, and Mrs. W. R. Duckworth; standing left to right: Mrs. A. C. Bolden, Mrs. R. L. Kirkpatrick, School Supt. A. S. Johnston, Mrs. Johnston, and Mrs. Ben Hurwitz. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3224/
R. M. Hudson Home
R. M. Hudson began publishing the "Irving Index" in December 1903. He worked from his home in Dallas for five years. In 1908, he moved into this house in Irving. Hudson and his wife Mary had four children. Youngest son Tom can be seen at the fence in this photo. R. M. Hudson published the "Irving Index" from 1903 until 1916. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3274/
R. M. Hudson Home and Family
R. M. Hudson operated Irving's first newspaper the "Irving Index." He ran the paper from 1903 until 1916. His home was on the northwest corner of Fourth and Jefferson streets. He is pictured here in front of his house with his wife Mary and daughter Veda. Not pictured are their sons Robert, Andrew, and Tom. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3273/
Rock Island Survey Crew, c. 1902
In the fall of 1902, a Rock Island Railway survey crew was working a stretch of line between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth when two of the members decided to found a town along the route of the track. J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown finished their work with the railroad and remained in the area, where they founded the town of Irving in December 1903. C. P. Schulze, Jr, brother of J. O. Schulze is on the far left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3259/
Seiber Store - Interior
Henry Alvis Seiber owned this general store along Main Street in Irving, Texas, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3297/
Sunday Afternoon at the River
Irving was founded where the West Fork and the Elm Fork converge to form the Trinity River. During the early part of the twentieth century, the locals made day trips and weekend jaunts to enjoy nature along the forks of the river. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3291/
Tom Haley Home
William Haley and his family moved to the area during the late 1850s. They settled northwest of the future town site of Irving in what became known as the Estelle community. Tom Haley, William's son, farmed a large piece of land his father had given him as a wedding gift. When his children became of school age, he decided that it would be more convenient for his wife and kids to stay in Irving during the school year. This is a photo of the home the family rented in town. At the fence on the left is Vera Haley (Anderson) and one of her sisters Bertha Haley (Gleghorn), c. 1911. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3255/
Train at the Irving Depot
Train at the Irving Depot. Completed in 1903, the site of the Chicago Rock Island & Gulf railroad depot also served as the location of the 1903 lot sale that founded Irving. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3299/
W. D. Lucas with Children
W. D. "Doug" Lucas poses with his three children: Howard, Roy (baby), and Lorene. W. D. Lucas owned a general store on Main Street in Irving from 1906 to 1931. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3260/
Wedding Picture of Joe and Essie Keeling
Essie Jones and Joe Keeling's wedding picture. Essie Jones and Joe Keeling were married in 1910. Both lived most of their lives in Irving. They had three children: Helen, Weldon and Clyde. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3271/
West Fork of the Trinity River in Flood Stage
Irving was established between the Elm and West Forks of the Trinity River. Flooding was a common occurrence along the river prior to its re-channeling and the construction of a levee system. During Irving's early decades, the primary route from Irving to Dallas was across the West Fork. In 1908, a major flood washed out the bridges and isolated Irvingites until the waters receded. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3279/
West Side of Main Street, c. 1908
Main Street, Irving, Texas, c. 1908. West side of Main St. between First St. (Irving Blvd.) and Second St. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3294/
William Smith Home in Union Bower
William Smith, area pioneer, built this house in the Union Bower community in 1888. It stood along what would become Maryland Street in Irving until it was torn down in the 1980s. Seen in this 1906 photo are L. G. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Hood, Mrs. Mattie Smith, Bert Smith, Mrs. Jennie Smith, William Hood, and Frank and Charlie Voirin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3231/
William Smith House - Side View
This photo, made in 1906, shows a side view of the William Smith home in the Union Bower community. The house was built in 1888. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3230/