You limited your search to:

  Partner: Irving Archives
 Resource Type: Photograph
Model T Ford

Model T Ford

Date: 1915~
Creator: unknown
Description: Model T Ford Pickup. In the vehicle are W. D. Lucas's sons Howard and Ray, c. 1915
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House

Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House

Date: 1933~
Creator: unknown
Description: This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service

Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service

Date: 1915~
Creator: unknown
Description: Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Musicians in the Union Bower Community

Musicians in the Union Bower Community

Date: 1910~
Creator: unknown
Description: This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Myrtle Story White and Jim White, 1919

Myrtle Story White and Jim White, 1919

Date: 1919
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Myrtle Story White and husband Jim White, 1919. They are standing on a dirt road in front of a a white picket fence. The Story family was one of the pioneer families of northwest Dallas County.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association

The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association

Date: 1931~
Creator: unknown
Description: A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd. The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Old Gilbert Home

Old Gilbert Home

Date: 1882/1955
Creator: unknown
Description: The D. W. Gilbert home stood from 1882 to 1955 near the northwest corner of Story and Grauwyler Roads. Dr. D. W. Gilbert was one of the first physicians to practice in the Irving area. In addition to his work as a physician, he operated a 1,500-acre farm and orchard and a dairy. He also owned farmland in Euless, Shady Grove, and Bear Creek.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Otis Brown's First House in Irving

Otis Brown's First House in Irving

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: Otis Brown built the first house in Irving in 1903. He and his wife Netta lived there until they built a larger home in 1905. Brown sold this home to Chaney Miller. Miller had it enlarged, and he or a member of his family lived in the house until it was torn down in the 1970s.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Pet Dog of the Railroad Survey Crew, c. 1902

Pet Dog of the Railroad Survey Crew, c. 1902

Date: c. 1902
Creator: unknown
Description: A dog sitting on a chair in front of a tent. The dog was a pet of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas, they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. Two of the crew members remained in the area and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Pierce and Ramsey Store - Interior

Pierce and Ramsey Store - Interior

Date: 1920~
Creator: unknown
Description: Grover Pierce and Hershel Ramsey operated a grocery store along Irving's Main Street. In this photo, Grover Pierce is behind the counter wearing a white hat. Hershel Ramsey is in the chair on the right. The woman in black in the center of the photo is Fannie Tompkins Haley, the wife of Tom Haley.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives