Longview Public Library
About this Partner
Longview Public Library and Gregg County Historical Society presents its collection of photographs that document the development of Longview and the surrounding communities in East Texas. The Longview Public Library serves the residents of Longview and Gregg County. The Longview Public Library is located at 222 West Cotton Street in a spacious 35,000 square foot facility built in 1987.
Established in 1871, Longview's major industries were cotton farming, cattle ranching and oil production when East Texas became a leading producer during the oil boom of the 1930's. Most notably, in 1945 inventor and entrepreneur R. G. LeTourneau opened a large manufacturing plant for heavy machinery and earth moving equipment in Longview. Shortly after in 1946, he founded LeTourneau Technical Institute, which later became LeTourneau University.