You limited your search to:

  Partner: Marshall Public Library
[Grave of Annie Mae Powell, Marshall]
The grave of Annie Mae Powell is in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates on this headstone are Dec. 11 1885 - May 19 1916. The name Powell is in large raised block letters on the middle of the stone. Scroll lines decorate the top edge. Other graves are visible nearby. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18823/
[Club Women in Marshall]
Club women are recognized in this newspaper photo. The women are not identified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18810/
[Cemetery Cleanup, Marshall]
The Powder Mill Cemetery in Marshall was an overgrown woodland site when a group organized to rescue it. The picture shows the cleanup effort. Piles of posts are in the center. A truck with ladders on the side pulls a utility trailer with a chipper on it. A man feeds brush into the chipper. Two other men work in the distance. None are identified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18822/
[First Librarian of Marshall Public Library, Dorothy Morrison]
Mrs. Dorothy Morrison was the first director of the Marshall Public Library from 1970 to 1984. Here she is shown with the library's bookmobile in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18808/
[African-American Woman in Harrison County]
An unidentified African-American woman of Harrison County. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17757/
[Library Director]
Mrs. Dorothy Morrison, Library Director from 1970-1984, in her office at the new Marshall Public Library. She was the city library's first director, commuting from her home town of Hawkins. Following her death, the newspaper-on-microfilm collection was dedicated to her memory. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17631/
[Library Volunteer Tends Circulation Desk]
A library volunteer, unidentified, tends the circulation desk at Marshall Public Library during the 1970's. At that time, libraries used book cards, due date cards, and charging machines to check items in or out. The process required considerable time to sort and file the book cards by date. In addition, patron cards had to be made. Volunteers gave countless hours to the library to tasks like these. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17632/
[Librarian Demonstrates Equipment]
Steve Horton, Marshall Public Library Director(at center), demonstrates equipment to interested visitors. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17660/
[Children Register for RIF Distribution at the Library]
Children register their choices after selecting books at RIF distribution day. The Marshall Public Library has participated in the Reading Is Fundamental program since its beginning. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17618/
[Children's Storytime at the Library]
Children's storytime at Marshall Public Library usually includes a story with crafts or music. In 1978 the story was occasionally presented by slides, filmstrip, or 16mm film, if licensing permitted. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17602/
[Library Display Showcases Liberty]
Mrs. Dorothy Morrison, Marshall Public Library Director, shows off a display about Liberty. In the center of the display is a replica of the Liberty Bell, given by Marshall National Bank in 1976. Mrs. Morrison holds a reproduction of a liberty document. Books, small flags and a model cannon round out the display. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17687/
[Shelving Duty at the Library]
An unidentified library assistant performs her shelving duty at Marshall Public Library during the 1970's. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17627/
[Children's Summer Reading Activity at the Library]
The 1980 summer reading program at Marshall Public Library finished with a picnic for the children. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17613/
[Buard's Phillips 66 Service Station in Marshall]
Buard's Phillips 66 Service Station in Marshall was located at 1301 University where it intersects with Sanford Street. Therefore it was located within the historic "New Town Neighborhood," which is an African-American community of homes, businesses, professional offices, schools, and churches grouped around the Wiley College campus. The owner of the station, Polete Buard, was a self-made businessman. He was born and educated in Marshall. In 1929 he married Rebecca Drayden, whose biography is in the Texas History Portal. Buard first worked for the Texas and Pacific Railroad in the freight office. After retiring in 1970, he began operation of this service station, which he had purchased earlier. He was also active in his church and the Masonic Lodge. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18110/
[Singleton's Cafe in Marshall]
Singleton's Cafe in Marshall dates at least from the 1940's to 1975. It was owned by African-American businessman A. J. Singleton. There were two cafes during the early years: one located on N. Wellington in the downtown area, and this building located at 1203 W. Grand (Hwy 80). By 1957, there was only the W. Grand cafe pictured here. The building is a one-story structure either built of concrete block or faced with composite siding. Lettering on the window at right appears to be "CAFE." Other windows have printed matter in them. A wing extends from the left side. Both facades are shaded with metal awnings. The building appears as though unoccupied at the time of this picture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18145/
[Dr. Theopolus Caviness Makes an Address in Marshall]
Dr. Theopolus Caviness prepares to give an address during a visit to Marshall. The event and date are unknown. He is wearing the traditional doctor's academic robes. A microphone dangles in front of his tie. Dr. Caviness is married to Jimmie Pitts Caviness, singer and vocal teacher, who also has an entry in the Texas History Portal. The Caviness couple lived in Cleveland, Ohio at the time of this picture, c1970-1984. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18147/
[Dr. Everett H. Leach, Harrison County Physician]
Dr. Everett H. Leach, African-American physician, was born in Marshall in 1879 or 1881 (tombstone date). He entered Bishop College at age twelve. He received his medical degree from Flynt Medical College in New Orleans. Later he studied at Illinois Post-Graduate School in Chicago. He settled in the rural Leigh community east of Marshall, where he built a practice, erected a drug store and office, and owned two farms. Later he moved to Marshall and commuted to Leigh by automobile. According to his tombstone, he died March 31, 1946. He was buried in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in north Marshall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18151/
[Continental Trailways Depot, Marshall]
Continental Trailways gave intercity bus service to Marshall from the mid-1950s until the late 1980s, when the franchise passed into the ownership of Greyhound Bus Lines. This depot, built during the mid-1960s, is located at 201 S. Bolivar Street in the downtown area. The picture likely dates from that time. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18112/
[Marshall Downtown Square]
The north area of the Marshall downtown square from the perspective of the E. Houston-Bolivar street intersection. The stores to the right of the image front on Austin street, which runs east-west. Behind the commercial bank sign is a parking lot also known as the McPhail block. The old courhouse is out of view to the left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18179/
[Historic Home, Marshall, Texas]
Marshall, Texas has many Victorian-era homes still in existence. Some are in good condition, others are being restored. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18167/
[Children at Play]
A group of African-American children play a jumprope game. Five girls and two boys are in the group. A man and woman at the left, and a woman at the right look on. One girl holds the rope, while another at the left runs to jump into the game. The person at the other end of the rope is not visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18146/
[Bethesda Baptist Church, Marshall]
An old photograph, date unknown but likely prior to 1897, depicts Bethesda Baptist Church of Marshall. Originally known as "Colored Baptist Church," the members renamed it about 1887 and then added the word "Missionary" during the 1980's to make the official name "Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church." Bethesda is one of the oldest African-American congregations in Harrison County, being founded in 1867 by 450 souls led by Rev. William Massey with the assistance of Rev. A. E. Clemmons, the pastor of the white First Baptist Church. The members met in Rev. Massey's home at 601 Massey St. until the construction of this one-story wooden structure, probably between 1867 and 1875. The plan included a veranda leading to the vestibule, three aisles, and colored glass in the arched Gothic windows. There was an organ, the first in Marshall, and a belfry. Outside facilities included a baptistry and a well. During 1897-1901, this structure was razed and replaced by a larger brick structure of Gothic style which later burned and was itself replaced. However the front facade of the wooden structure was incorporated into the new buildings as a link with the past. The site at 801 W. Grand (Hwy 80) has been owned continuously by this congregation since the deed was acquired in 1867. It is now listed on the "Buard History Trail" as a site significant to Marshall's African-American heritage. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18161/
[N. Wellington Street, Marshall]
Street scene in Marshall, Texas shows Hurd's Taxi Service, a long-time business, and Birmingham Department Store in the 200 block of N. Wellington Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18171/
[Dr. G. T. Coleman Home in Marshall]
This bungalow in Marshall, possibly Craftsman in its original form, has several later additions. It is located at 606 Sanford Street in the "New Town Neighborhood," a historic African-American community that developed around Wiley College from 1910-1950. The home was the residence of Dr. George T. Coleman. The physician also had a structure across the street at 607 Sanford that he used as a hospital for his patients. Some of his patients went to the Sheppard-Watts Sanitarium on S. Carter Street. Dr. Coleman's office was located first on W. Houston and later on S. Wellington. According to Dr. Coleman's obituary, he was born in Ft. Worth to Mr. and Mrs. P. Coleman. He received his early education in El Paso. He completed his college and professional training in Illiinois. In 1910 he moved to Marshall and began a practice that lasted 53 years. He performed numerous professional, church and civic duties; but notable was his involvement in establishing the first tuberculosis hospital in Kerrville. His first wife, Edith, died in 1949. He later married Willia, a union which lasted until his passing on June 10, 1963. He is presumed to be buried in the Powder Mill Cemetery, in a plot with a Coleman family marker having no individual names or dates. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18106/
[Section of Downtown Square, Marshall]
The intersection of Houston and N. Washington streets, Marshall, frames a parking lot on the north side of the downtown square. The Marshall National Bank sign announces the presence of the bank a block away. The commercial brick buildings in the center right line the 200 block of W. Austin Street. In the distance of the left center are visible the spire of the First Baptist Church and some historic homes which are numerous in Marshall. The picture probably dates from the late 1960s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18104/
[Peoples Funeral Home, Marshall]
Peoples Funeral Home is located at 1301 W. Grand Ave. in Marshall, Texas. Owned by three generations of the Williams family, it has served the African-American community since 1927 (as listed in the city directories). It is still in operation. It was established by Milton Williams, Sr. Born and reared in Harrison County, he became a mortician. He married Josie P. Campbell and they established six funeral homes in East Texas. He also started the Peoples Funeral Service Insurance Company. He died in 1966, and is buried with his wife in the Powder Mill Cemetery of Marshall. Milton Williams, Jr. continued in the family business. He graduated from Bishop College of Marshall and the Texas School of Mortuary Science in Ft. Worth. He was also a certified insurance underwriter. Active in professional, church, and civic matters, he was the first Negro to run for public office in Marshall. He is deceased. His widow, Rubye Adams Williams, is still active. They produced two children: a daughter, Dr. Rubye Jo Williams Jones (see Texas History Portal entry) and Milton Herschell Williams, III. This son has also continued in the family business. Educated at Wiley College of Marshall and the University of North Texas, he served in the U. S. Air Force before entering banking. He later entered the Dallas Institute of Mortuary Science before returning to Marshall. He is married to Julia Ann Frilot, occupational therapist. They are parents of two adult daughters who have entered professional careers. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18138/
[Modern House in Marshall]
A modern ranch house in Marshall, from the 1950-1970 era. The house is brick, with a low brick wall at the front of the yard. The house has a hipped roof on the visible portion, a one-car garage, and a "picture" window near the entrance, which is shaded by a shed porch attachment. A Ford Mercury automobile sits in front of the garage. A lamp post and some other decorative objects are in the yard and around the entrance. Some bare tree suggest the winter season. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18137/
[Bishop College School Song]
This is a partial copy of the lyrics for "Bishop Blue," the Bishop College school song. Bishop College was founded in Marshall in 1881. It educated many African-American students before relocating to Dallas in 1961. In 1988 the school closed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18109/
[Old Tombstone]
An old tombstone in a Harrison County cemetery, unidentified, has the following inscription: "E. B. --------- Born January 7, 1831 Deceased May 5, 1858" The stone lies where it fell amid the vegetation. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18153/
[Early Grave in Harrison County]
An old tombstone in Harrison County is engraved "Mother Bessie." A cherub's head with wings adorns the stone. The cemetery is unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18156/
[Bungalow in Marshall]
This unidentified bungalow in Marshall has the Craftsman architecture, with the decorative brackets and exposed rafter ends under the eaves, and the trio of small windows in the front-facing gable which covers a porch supported by square half-columns set on brick piers. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18126/
[Downtown Street Scene, Marshall]
Marshall's N. Wellington Street (center) intersects with Houston (foreground), then crosses W. Austin Street on its way north. Businesses shown on N. Wellington during the late 1960s included Tip Top Cleaners, Blair's TV Service, Marshall National Bank Motor Branch, Rives Seed Bin, McKay's Furniture Co., City Finance Co., and Denney Cleaners. From right to left on W. Austin, one can see Marshall Barber Shop, Mays Studio, Blue Bonnet Beauty Shop, Joe Woods Radio & TV Service and Stacy Shoe Repair Shop. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18114/
[African-American Church, Harrison County]
Church with traditional African-American roots in Marshall, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18172/
[Sutton Home in Marshall]
The Sutton bungalow in Marshall has been adorned with wrought iron columns and railings. It is located at 704 W. Grand. The house was first the home of Charles H. and Eva Patterson. He owned the Palace Pharmacy on the Marshall Square. By 1949 both the house and the pharmacy were owned by A. S. and Addie L. Jackson. From 1957 to the current year, the home's owners have been listed as Walter L. Sr. and Sammie Sutton, teachers in the public schools. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18134/
[Cheerleaders]
A group of African-American cheerleaders, unidentified, posed for this photograph, possibly for their yearbook. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18148/
[Residential Street, Marshall]
This residential street in Marshall shows some of the varying architecture of its older homes. The location is unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18101/
[Oldest Nursing Home Resident, Mrs. Izoria Malone]
Mrs. Izoria Malone was listed as 113 years old on records at the Harrison County Nursing Home when she was admitted there on January 29, 1974. She was possibly the second oldest resident in a United States nursing home at that time, and was certainly the oldest in the county. She died June, 1976 at the of 115. Article from The Marshall News Messenger newspaper, no date, reprinted in book, The Black Citizen and Democracy: Black Culture in Harrison County, Past, Present, and Future. Marshall Public Library, 1976, p. 86. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18142/
[Old Harrison County Courthouse]
This building is the old Harrison County Courthouse, the fourth one to serve as the seat of county government and the centerpiece of Marshall. Designed by architect J. Riely Gordon, it was erected in 1900. It has a cruciform plan with an embellished rotunda. Exterior embellishments include pedimented porticoes, pilasters with capitals, and a dramatic dome with eagles and a statue of Lady Justice. In 1926, an addition was constructed. A 21st century renovation has restored the building to its 1926 condition. It will continue its existence as the seat of county government and a museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18162/
[Grand Avenue West, Marshall]
Marshall 's W. Grand Avenue (Hwy 80) at intersection with Grove St. The highway has been widened from two lanes to six since the early days. At one time, stately Victorian homes lined the avenue; only a few remain, and now it is primarily commercial. Turning right on Grove will put the driver on FM 1997 north, as the sign indicates. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18130/
[W. Houston Street, Marshall]
Looking east along W. Houston St. toward the center of Marshall. In the middle distance, the red brick structure is Trinity Episcopal Church. The many round-arched windows of the new Harrison County Courthouse are in the far distance. The dome of the old county courthouse can be seen on the top right between the fork of a tree. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18178/
[Clyde and Mrs. Kilpatrick, Library Supporters]
Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Kilpatrick were the first in Harrison County to get memberships in the newly formed Friends of Marshall Public Library. The membership drive was the beginning of community support for building a new library in marshall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17483/
[Library Benefactors at a Library Function]
Library benefactors Virginia Gold Olinsky, second from left, and Bernice Gold Kranson, right, are shown with other library supporters at a reception during the opening weekend of the Marshall Public Library, October, 1973. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17493/
[Library Display Honors the Nation's Bicentennial]
Mrs. Dorothy Morrison, Marshall Public Library Director, presents a display to honor the nation's Bicentennial in 1976. The Liberty Bell replica was donated to the library by Marshall National Bank on July 1, 1976. The librarian holds a copy of the Declaration of Independence. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17492/
[Friends of the Library Inspect the New Bookmobile]
Lou Gaw, left, and Audrey Kariel, right, inspect the Marshall Public Library's new bookmobile. The Friends of a Public Library group acquired a motor home for the purpose. It was refurbished and re-constructed inside for library books. It was ready for use by April, 1978. According to the caption, Hallsville was the first stop on the schedule. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17499/
[Two Public Library Supporters Celebrate Library Opening]
Max Lale (left), local historian and author, chats with another library suppporter at the reception for the opening of the new Marshall Public Library in October, 1973. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17485/
[Virginia Gold Olincy Toasts New Library]
Mrs. George (Virginia Gold) Olincy, Trustee of Andrew Norman Foundation, toasts the new Marshall Public Library at the reception for its opening on October 20, 1973. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17495/
[Library Supporters at Gala Reception for Library Opening]
Fenn Lewis, center, Mrs. George (Virginia Gold) Olincy to his right, and Mrs. Audrey Kariel, to his left, chat at the reception to celebrate the opening of the new Marshall Public Library in October, 1973. These three were key constituents in the drive to get the library constructed. Others in the picture are unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17488/
[Celebrating Marshall's Bicentennial]
Two Marshallites present "Uncle Sam" to celebrate Marshall's designation as an All-America City during the nation's bicentennial celebration in 1976. At left is Connie Ware. The woman at right is unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17484/
[Music System at the Library in the 20th Century]
A sound system awaits use at Marshall Public Library, c1973. The equipment includes a dual reel-to-reel tape deck, a turntable, receivers, and amplifiers, as well as a panel in the wall with various jacks. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17638/
[Technology at the Library c1980]
A library assistant (unidentified) used a filmstrip projector at Marshall Public Library, c1980. Libraries change with technology. The filmstrip projector was a common piece of audio-visual equipment before the advent of the video player/recorder. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17637/