You limited your search to:

  Partner: Marshall Public Library
[Library Assistant Checks out Books to a Patron]
At Marshall Public Library, a library assistant checks out books to a library patron. Both women are unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17609/
[RIF Program at the Library]
Children select books at the RIF distribution which Marshall Public Library has hosted since the beginning. The Reading Is Fundamental program is a matching grant which provides free books to elementary-age children through public libraries. Children in the photo are unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17606/
[Library Assistant Tends Circulation Desk]
A library assistant, unidentified, tends the circulation desk at the new Marshall Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17604/
[Playing the Piano for Story Time]
A library assistant (unidentified) plays the piano in the Gold Auditorium at Marshall Public Library. Music is a frequent activity during storytime at the library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17636/
[Officials Announce Challenge Grant for New Library]
Supporters of a new library for Marshall, Texas announced the offer of a challenge grant from the Andrew Norman Foundation. Shown are Mrs. Audrey Kariel and Kenneth Abney. The sign overhead marks the site of the old Marshall Public Library at the corner of West Austin and Franklin streets. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17679/
[Truck Transports Library Books]
When Marshall Public Library was built, a truck was used to transport materials from one site to another, c1973. The load here consisted of bags and boxes of donated items which the community was encouraged to contribute. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17610/
[Library Staff Member]
Library clerk Mrs. K. Parker assisted at Marshall Public Library during the 1970's decade. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17645/
[Listening Stations in Library's Children's Area]
The children's area at Marshall Public Library, c1973, featured a round table with floor cushions where children could listen to stories. In the left background is a special reading table with benches and dual-sloped tabletop. In the right background are bookstacks and a range for display. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17647/
[Charles R. Aber's Violin]
The violin displayed on the library's cabinet, center, was played by local musician-of-note Charles R. Aber. Mr. Aber also had a considerable collection of music tapes which his mother donated to the Marshall Public Library following his death. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17651/
[Filmstrip Projector]
A filmstrip projector (35mm) was a standard piece of audio-visual equipment in schools and libraries, beginning c1965. This model belonged to Marshall Public Library, which was built in 1973. The filmstrip projector was replaced by videocassette and VHS player-recorder technology. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17612/
[Children Play Games at Summer Reading Program]
At the end of the summer reading program by Marshall Public Library during the late 1970's, the activity was a picnic and play day. In this photo, unidentified children gather in a circle to begin a game. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17630/
[Library Assistant Gives Snacks to Children]
A library assistant gives snacks to children as part of a Marshall Public Library program. The assistant and children are unidentified. The library has maintained active children's programming since its beginning. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17608/
[Friends of a Public Library Gives Bookmobile to the City of Marshall]
Marshall, Texas, Mayor William Huffman (center) accepts the keys to the new bookmobile from Dr. A. F. Veau, (right), president of the Friends of a Public Library as City Manager Ray Jackson (left) looks on. In the background, W.C. Wallace, bookmobile driver, supervises a tour of the vehicle. Caption and photo from the Marshall News Messenger newspaper, Wednesday, April 12, 1978. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17683/
[Grave of Mary E. Langston, Marshall]
The grave of Mary E. Langston is located in the Powder Mill Cemetery in north Marshall on FM 1997. It is a traditionally African-American cemetery. The dates for Langston are 3-1-1890 - 8-31-1976. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17693/
[Library Stacks]
Reference stacks in the new Marshall Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17662/
[Old Harrison County Courthouse]
The old Harrison County Courthouse is the fourth, erected in 1900 to replace the third one which burned in 1899. This view is of the north and east facades, during the 1960's or 1970's. Houston St., which circles the square on its east-west route, is in the foreground. Three parking lots adjoin the square on the north, east, and west sides of the courthouse, which accounts for the large number of automobiles. At the extreme left edge of the picture, the corner of the seven-story Hotel Marshall can be seen. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18128/
[Dr. Everett H. Leach, Harrison County Physician]
Dr. Everett H. Leach, African-American physician, was born in Marshall in 1879 or 1881 (tombstone date). He entered Bishop College at age twelve. He received his medical degree from Flynt Medical College in New Orleans. Later he studied at Illinois Post-Graduate School in Chicago. He settled in the rural Leigh community east of Marshall, where he built a practice, erected a drug store and office, and owned two farms. Later he moved to Marshall and commuted to Leigh by automobile. According to his tombstone, he died March 31, 1946. He was interred in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in north Marshall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18150/
[African-American Woman in Harrison County]
An unidentified African-American woman of Harrison County wears the hairstyle and clothing of the late nineteenth or early twentieth century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18154/
[Downtown Street Scene, Marshall]
As the sign attests, N. Wellington Street runs one way to the south in Marshall. The street intersects with Houston (right foreground) after crossing W. Austin Street one block to the north. Businesses located along the section of N. Wellington shown in the picture would have included the Marshall National Bank motor branch, Birmingham Shopping Mart, Paxtons Appliances, Blairs TV Service, River's Seed Bin, McKay's Furniture Co., City Finance So., and Denney Cleaners. Along W. Austin Street right to left, were Marshall Barber Shop, Mays Studio, the Blalock Building, Joe Woods Radio & TV Service, Stacy Shoe Repair, Blue Bonnet Beauty Shop, Desota Imports-Exports, Austin Furniture Co., McGibbon Watch Repairing, Barkett Shoe Repairing, Parish Taxi Stand, and finally Marshall Public Library at the extreme left side of the picture. The picture likely dates from 1978 or later. The blue Oldsmobile vehicle on the left is a 1978 model. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18111/
[Bungalow in Marshall]
An unidentified bungalow in Marshall. The architecture is craftsman, with the front-facing gable, simple brackets, and columns set on brick piers. The house was occupied, clearly by someone who enjoyed plants. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18141/
[N. Wellington Street Marshall]
The 200 block of N. Wellington Street, Marshall, Texas, included two taxi services during the period 1975-1982. They were Hurd's Taxi at #203 and Safeway Taxi at #205 N. Wellington. Hurd's Taxi is still in existence. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18139/
[Cottage in New Town Neighborhood, Marshall, Texas]
The New Town neighborhood in Marshall, Texas was a self-sufficient African-American community containing schools, stores, churches, a college, and many bungalows and cottages. This cottage is typical of the neighborhood. New Town has been selected as a model for preservation under Marshall's Historic Preservation Action Plan. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18165/
[N. Wellington Street, Marshall]
A view of the 200 block of N. Wellington St. in Marshall, Texas, where Hurd's Taxi and Birmingham's Department Store were located from 1975-1999. Hurd's Taxi is still in business. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18135/
[Claudia (Lady Bird) Johnson]
Mrs. Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady and native of Harrison County. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17481/
[Dorothy Morrison, First Director of Marshall Public Library]
An early library logo depects Mrs. Dorothy Morrison, first director of Marshall Public Library, 1970-1984. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17487/
[Library Supporter Speaks at Dinner]
A library supporter speaks at a dinner celebrating the opening of Marshall Public Library in 1973. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17497/
[Dr. Ernest S. Rambo, Community Leader]
Dr. Ernest S. Rambo was featured in this article from the Marshall News Messenger newspaper. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17482/
[Night View of the New Marshall Public Library in 1973]
Night view of the new Marshall Public Library in 1973. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17489/
[Group Examines Marker]
A group examines a stone commemoration marker. At left is Judge Ben Z. Grant. The other man and woman are unidentified. The marker is also not known; but the word "ESTABLISHED" is clearly on the bottom of the engraving. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17496/
[Mrs. Sutphin, Library Workshop Presenter]
Mrs. Sutphin presented a workshop about literature that can be found in libraries. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17486/
[Marshall Library Supporter Displays Dedication Program]
In 1973 the Marshall Public Library received the "Library Project of the Year" award from the Texas State Library Association. The dedication ceremony for the new library was held on Sunday, October 21, 1973. At a reception on the Saturday night before, Nancy Kariel displays the dedication program. The program cover shows the artist's rendering of the architect's concept. Inside is the history of the drive from 1969-1972 to construct a new library; the order of ceremony; lists of officers, boards, and committees; and two pages recognizing the individuals and organizations which contributed substantially to the project. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17491/
[Dr. H. D. Bruce, Educator and Library Supporter]
Dr. H. D. Bruce of East Texas Baptist College was a supporter of the drive to build a new public library in Marshall, as this article explains. The new building was completed in 1973. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17480/
[Bill Moyers, Young Journalist]
A young Billy Don Moyers smiles from the pages of a yearbook. Starting as a teenage newspaper reporter in his home town of Marshall, Texas, Moyers rose to national prominence as a high-level aide in Lyndon B. Johnson's administration. He later changed from print to television journalism, broadcasting news commentary and creating special subject documentaries. Now he is known simply as Bill Moyers; but he has never forgotten his roots. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17494/
[Musicians Recognized in Newspaper]
Musician John Grigsby was recognized in this picture from the Marshall News Messenger. The accompanying text also mentions Doice Grant of Longview. The two men performed on a recital sponsored by a local music group in the Gold auditorium of the Marshall Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17498/
[African-American Woman in Harrison County]
An unidentified African-American woman in Harrison County history. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18158/
[Continental Trailways Depot, Marshall]
The Continental Trailways Bus Line served Marshall from the mid-1950s through the late 1980s, when the franchise passed to the Greyhound Bus Company. The depot was built during the mid 1960s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18103/
[Section of Downtown Square, Marshall]
Houston Street (foreground) in Marshall encloses the courthouse square on four sides. At the time of this picture (1970's), there was a parking lot on the north side of Houston. Here a sign advertises Marshall National Bank which is located nearby. Christmas decorations on the light poles reveal the season. During business hours, the empty parking lot would have been full of vehicles because the square was the downtown governmental and commercial hub of the city. In the distance at right center are businesses on W. Austin Street. In the center and left are businesses on N. Wellington Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18107/
[Ward Chapel AME Church in Marshall]
View of Ward Chapel AME Church in Marshall, Texas. AME is the African Methodist Episcopal denomination. The church is located at 501 S. Allen Street in the historic "New Town" neighborhood. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18169/
[Crafts Class]
Unidentified African-American students in a crafts class display their handiwork. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18136/
[N. Wellington Street, Marshall]
Hurd's Taxi has been a part of Marshall commerce since 1975. At the time of this picture, it was located at 203 N. Wellington Street, Marshall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18122/
[Bishop College Chapel, Marshall]
This building was erected to be a temporary chapel for Bishop College when the campus was located in Marshall. Bishop was a historic Baptist college for African-American students that was established in 1881. In 1961 the campus relocated to Dallas. Falling upon hard times, Bishop closed in 1988. None of the original Marshall campus remains. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18100/
[Marshall High School]
View of the north facade of Marshall High School, which became Marshall Junior High School in 1988. On the left side of W. Houston St., which passes in front of the school, are several old residences which are common to the area. The red brick of Trinity Episcopal Church is visible in the far distance. The white spire of First Baptist Church is also visible in the left center of the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18175/
[Residential Street, Marshall]
A street in Marshall has homes with three different architectural styles from the early decades of the twentieth century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18120/
[Montgomery Home in Marshall]
This ranch house in Marshall was the home of Dorothy Vance Montgomery, music teacher. Mrs. Montgomery's career spanned 46 years. It included teaching in the Marshall public schools, 1930-1976, maintaining a private studio, teaching adjunct classes at Wiley College, and music ministry at her church. Her house is located at 1501 Grafton Street within the "New Town Neighborhood," which is an area significant to local African-American history. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18123/
[Marshall High School]
The north facade of Marshall High School viewed from W. Houston Avenue. The building housed the high school grades from 1939 -1988. Then it became Marshall Junior High School. The southeast part of this acreage is the former site of Marshall University, now designated with a Texas historical marker. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18177/
[Tombstones in Nichols Cemetery, Marshall]
Photo of the tombstone of Thomas Brooks in Nichol Cemetery, Marshall. This cemetery is at the north end of Merrill Street inside the city limits. The street is two blocks long, proceeding north from US 80 E. The cemetery is African-American. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18144/
[Barber and Beauty School]
Valerie Hurd's Barber and Beauty School, located at 304 Noland St. in Marshall, Texas, was a long-time business, c1955-c2001. It was first located on Park School St. and relocated to this address c1959. The building burned about 2001. This picture may date from early 1960's. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18173/
[African-American Church, Harrison County]
A historic African-American church in Harrison County. An unidentified man stands in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18164/
[Bishop College Dormitory, Marshall]
Bishop Hall was a women's dormitory at Bishop College in Marshall. A historic Black college that was established in 1881, it relocated to Dallas in 1961, eventually fell upon hard times, and closed in 1988. During the institution's life, Bishop educated men and women who became citizens of note in the professions of education, religion, law, and medicine. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18105/
[Phillips Bungalow in Marshall]
This bungalow in Marshall is just one of the many bungalow styles to be found in the city. The location is 1401 Herndon Street at the intersection with Evans Street. Until 1952 it was the home of Dr. Oliver Wendell and Mayme Adams Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a dentist; Mrs. Phillips taught school. She died in 1952; Dr. Phillips died in 1955. The house was vacant for several years until O. W. Phillips Jr. moved there, occupying it until the late 1990's. The house has been unoccupied since then. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18117/