You limited your search to:

  Partner: Marshall Public Library
[Virginia Neely, Marshall Educator]
Mrs. Virginia Neely, Marshall educator, was recognized in this clipping for her achievements. She taught first grade at several MISD schools and participated in civic and professional organizations. She is now retired. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18775/
[Visitor Speaks to Library Supporters]
A visitor speaks to early library trustees during the drive to build support for a new library. The drive culminated with the opening of Marshall Public Library in 1973. The women pictured with the visitor (unidentified) were library trustees Audrey Kariel, seated; and standing left to right Sally Gullion, Elderleen Coker, and Lou Gaw. The place for this meeting was the old library building on Austin Street, now the Chamber of Commerce building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17598/
[Volunteer Tends Library Circulation Desk]
A volunteer, unidentified, tends the circulation desk at Marshall Public Library. Directly behind her is the library director's office. At left are the doors of the north entrance. The volunteer is checking in books using the card system which is now rarely found in public libraries. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17564/
[W. Houston Street, Marshall]
Looking east along W. Houston St. toward the center of Marshall. In the middle distance, the red brick structure is Trinity Episcopal Church. The many round-arched windows of the new Harrison County Courthouse are in the far distance. The dome of the old county courthouse can be seen on the top right between the fork of a tree. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18178/
[W. Houston Street Scene, Marshall]
Looking eastward along W. Houston Street toward downtown Marshall, the tower of Trinity Episcopal Church can be seen in the distance. At the right edge of the picture is the Marshall High School campus (Marshall Junior High School since 1980). On the north (left) side of the street are some of the many old victorian homes that are characteristic of old Marshall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18115/
[Walton Grave, Marshall]
The grave of Osborne and Augusta L. Walton lies in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997, Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates for Osborne Walton are 1887-1952. The one date for Augusta Walton is 1896, as the death date was not filled in at the time of this picture, c1984. Other symbols adorn the plate which is attached to a granite stone. An empty vase is at the top. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18797/
[Ward Chapel AME Church in Marshall]
View of Ward Chapel AME Church in Marshall, Texas. AME is the African Methodist Episcopal denomination. The church is located at 501 S. Allen Street in the historic "New Town" neighborhood. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18169/
[Ward Chapel AME Church, Marshall]
Ward Chapel AME Church is located at 501 S. Allen St. in Marshall. The address makes the church part of the "New Town Neighborhood" which has been a unique African-American community within the city. New Town has been the residence of many prominent individuals. It includes Wiley College, other schools, businesses, and churches as well as residences. In recent years a task force has presented a Historic Preservation Action Plan to the Texas Historical Commission as a first step in achieving recognition and preservation of this community. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18036/
[Ward Plaza Apartments, Marshall]
Ward Plaza Apartments in Marshall, Texas is located at 1603 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. The street is shown in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17599/
[Watching a Building Burn, Harrison County]
Flames and smoke appear to be coming from this building in Harrison County. A group of persons, including a woman and five men, are watching. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17863/
[Water Barrel and Pump]
A large wooden water barrel set on high posts receives water via a pump mechanism below it. A pump house is built around the well. To the left is a utility building which appears to have pipes going to the barrel. The time and place of this water utility are unknown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17750/
[Weisman-Hirsch-Beil House, Marshall]
The Weisman-Hirsch-Beil house is located at 313 South Washington Street in Marshall. Completed in 1901 by Joe and Lena Weisman to replace an earlier house that burned, the twelve-room Victorian plan is by architect C. G. Lancaster. Daughter Valrie Weisman married Joseph N. Hirsch and eventually inherited the property. Joe Hirsch died in 1966, and the house was maintained by a caretaker until it was bought by Dr. Greg and Gail Beil in 1972. The Beils continue to do restoration and maintenance on their home, as well as sharing it with Marshall in various events. The Weisman-Hirsch families are notable in East Texas history for longtime ownership of the Weisman Department Store, which at one time was the largest department store between Dallas and the Mississippi River. These families also contributed to local philanthropies, to civic affairs, and to the Jewish community. Dr. Beil is professor at East Texas Baptist University. Gail Beil is a writer/journalist, historian and participant in local restoration issues. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18062/
[Weisner Home, Harrison County]
The U. R. Weisner home is located in rural Leigh, northeast of Marshall in Harrison County. Mr. Weisner was a leader and property owner who contributed to the community good. He also gathered local African-American history which has been preserved. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17851/
[Welcoming Bill Moyers]
Journalist Bill Moyers returns to Marshall, his home town, to speak to a gathering about the value of libraries. He is greeted by Pat Bolger of the Marshall News Messenger newspaper as he steps to the podium. A television cameraman is at right. A group of unidentified persons waits to hear Moyers speak. The place is the Gold auditorium at Marshall Public Library. The date is unknown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17558/
[N. Wellington at W. Austin, Marshall]
This scene of downtown Marshall shows the intersection of N. Wellington Street and W. Austin Street, with businesses along N. Franklin Street in the distance. The businesses from left to right would have included Natural Gas Pipeline of America, Commonwealth Life Insurance Co., American General Life Insurance Co., Public Barber Shop, and Public Cafe-Hurd Taxi Co. The white frame house in the left distance is the historically-recognized Arnot House. The multi-story building at the extreme left edge of the picture is the Harrison County Courthouse, built in 1964. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18108/
[N. Wellington Street, Marshall]
Street scene in Marshall, Texas shows Hurd's Taxi Service, a long-time business, and Birmingham Department Store in the 200 block of N. Wellington Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18171/
[N. Wellington Street Marshall]
The 200 block of N. Wellington Street, Marshall, Texas, included two taxi services during the period 1975-1982. They were Hurd's Taxi at #203 and Safeway Taxi at #205 N. Wellington. Hurd's Taxi is still in existence. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18139/
[N. Wellington Street, Marshall]
A view of the 200 block of N. Wellington St. in Marshall, Texas, where Hurd's Taxi and Birmingham's Department Store were located from 1975-1999. Hurd's Taxi is still in business. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18135/
[N. Wellington Street, Marshall]
Hurd's Taxi has been a part of Marshall commerce since 1975. At the time of this picture, it was located at 203 N. Wellington Street, Marshall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18122/
[West End Pentecostal Church in Marshall]
West End Pentecostal Church in Marshall is located at 506 West End Blvd. The congregation has traditional African-American roots. Its history is unknown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17856/
[West Side Church of Christ in Marshall]
West Side Church of Christ is located on Hynson Springs Rd. in Marshall. It is an African-American congregation. Its history is unknown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17844/
[Wilbur A. Turner, Marshall Educator]
Mr. Wilbur A. Turner taught the Drivers Training course at Pemberton High School in Marshall. The photo is from a school yearbook, either 1953-54 or 1964-65. Pemberton no longer exists as a separate campus. It was merged with Marshall High School in 1988. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17713/
[Willia Dean Roberts, Marshall Educator]
Mrs. Willia Dean Roberts taught history at Central (later Pemberton) High School in Marshall from 1939-1972 when she retired. She was born in Scottsville near Marshall to educator parents, Williams and Mollie Kelly. She received her teaching degree at Bishop College in Marshall and her masters degree at Atlanta University. Her experience included Jarvis College, Longview, and Longridge Elementary School before beginning her tenure at Pemberton. She did not have any descendants. This photograph was her yearbook picture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18030/
[William M. Reed, Marshall Educator]
Mr. William M. Reed was Assistant Coach and Teacher of Physical Education. The photograph is probably from a Pemberton High School yearbook, possibly from 1950-53 or 1964. No further information is available. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18038/
[Willie A. Williams, Marshall Educator]
Mr. Willie A. Williams taught English courses at Pemberton High School in Marshall. The photo is from a school yearbook. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17715/
[Willie G. Stephens, Marshall Educator]
Mrs. Willie G. Stephens was a high school mathematics teacher in Marshall. Born in Denison, she spent her elementary school years in Texarkana. She completed her high school education at Bishop Academy and her teaching degree at Bishop College in Marshall. Later she studied at Chicago University. She taught summers and part time at Bishop; but her major career was at Central/Pemberton High School, spanning 48 years from 1919-1967. She was also active in church and civic organizations in which her services extended throughout the state. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18018/
[Willie M. Powell, Marshall Educator]
Miss Willie M. Powell taught mathematics at Pemberton High School in Marshall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17908/
[Willie Margarette Watson, Marshall Educator]
Mrs. Willie Margarette Watson taught music at Pemberton High School in Marshall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17910/
[Willie Marshall, Marshall Educator]
Mrs. Willie Marshall taught bookkeeping as a high school course in Marshall. Further information about her is unknown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17997/
[Willie R. Scott, Marshall Educator]
Mrs. Willie R. Scott taught English at Pemberton Junior-Senior High School in Marshall. Her dates and further identification are unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18034/
[Woman in Marshall]
An unidentified woman from Marshall stands in a curtained doorway. She wears a heavily printed or decorated gown. Her hair is a period style and she wears gold-rimmed glasses. Behind her is a paneled wall and a wicker object. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17824/
[Woman Operates Equipment]
A woman operates a piece of equipment. The identity of the woman, the location, and the equipment are not known. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17716/
[Woman Receives Award, Marshall]
A woman receives recognition for achievement at a meeting held at Marshall Public Library, c1973-1984. The women are unidentified. Library stacks are seen behind the two. Each woman wears a corsage, and the woman at left wears a banner. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18748/
[Woman Spinning Thread, Harrison County]
An unidentified African-American woman demonstrates the art of spinning thread from either wool or cotton on a spinning wheel, possibly in Harrison County. She holds the spinning material in her left hand as she turns the wheel with her right. She wears a light colored blouse and a skirt reaching to her shoe-tops. A patterned scarf is around her neck. Sacks of raw material wait at her feet. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17981/
[Women's Federation Club Building, Marshall]
A Craftsman style bungalow in Marshall sits low on the ground and has a porch which wraps around the side. An early model automobile sits at the curb. The house is located at 1402 Grafton Street. Its origin is unknown; but the Women's Federation Club purchased it during the late 1940's for a meeting house. It is currently owned by St. James 0112 Masonic Lodge. Located in the New Town Neighborhood of Marshall, the house is a historic site for the African-American community. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18113/
[Woodland Cemetery, Harrison County]
A woodland cemetery in Harrison County waits to be cleared. The site is unidentified, but may be the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in Marshall. Powder Mill has been slowly reclaimed from woods during recent years. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17691/
[Woodland Cemetery, Marshall]
This woodland area may be the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in Marshall. It was an overgrown site when a group organized to clean it. It is a traditionally African-American cemetery with graves more than 100 years old. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18821/
[Working a Cemetery]
Mr. Tim Brown inspects a marker in a traditionally African-American cemetery in Harrison County. The cemetery is unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17992/
[Working a Cemetery in Harrison County]
An unidentified man kneels behind a grave, also unidentified, during cemetery cleanup. The cemetery is unknown except that it is in Harrison County. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17701/
[Young Patron Tries Out Library's New Audio Equipment]
A young patron tries out the library's new audio equipment. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17527/
[Youth in Uniform, Marshall]
A group of youth are in uniforms that are like an early band style in this Marshall photo. They are accompanied by an adult man. The group's purpose and activity are unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17816/
[Zion Hill Baptist Church in Marshall]
Zion Hill Baptist Church is located on Hynson Springs Rd. in the western area of Marshall. Organized in 1893, it is a traditionally African-American Baptist congregation. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17867/
FIRST PREV 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT LAST