Mesquite Public Library
About this Partner
Mesquite was established as a depot town by the Texas and Pacific Railway in May, 1873. Located in east central Dallas County, the newly created town began to grow. Citizens incorporated the town in 1887. These photographs offer a glimpse into everyday life in Mesquite and some of its surrounding communities during these first formative decades. Family life with its weddings, news babies, and homes; commerce and even the interruption of war were captured in still photography.
Signs of increasing civilization are evidenced in the number of growing school children, the variety of businesses and the establishment of churches. Even though Mesquite only had a population of 687 in 1910, these photographs reveal that a solid foundation had already been established for the city it would become in the future.
The Mesquite Public Library was founded in 1963 with the North Branch opening in 1981. The library has over 376,000 visitors per year with checkouts exceeding 425,000.
The library has a collection of over 200,000 items including books, audio cassettes, videos, dvd's, compact discs, and reels of microfilm..