Nicholas P. Sims Library and Lyceum
About this Partner
The Nicholas P. Sims Library and Lyceum was constructed during 1903-04 after Nicholas P. Sims, local farmer and investor, left the bulk of his estate for the establishment of a library for the people of Waxahachie and Ellis County, Texas. The Library was built on land given to the city of Waxahachie by its first Mayor, Captain W. H. Getzendaner. The Library opened on April 26, 1905 and was one of the first ten public libraries in Texas and certainly one of the first privately owned libraries.
During the latter half of the 20th century, the Library expanded to provide additional wings, accommodating the extensive collections for children and adults. The Library provides a variety of library services and programs for all ages, as well as an extensive collection of materials, both print and electronic. The Library currently houses over 140,000 books, magazines, newspapers, audio and visual materials, as well as microfilm and limited access collections.
The Nicholas P. Sims Library and Lyceum remains today in its original location.