You limited your search to:

  Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
 Collection: Texas History Collection
[Marker: Fort Johnson]
Photograph of the marker for Fort Johnson in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Established by William G. Cooke in 1840 as a part of the defense of the military road from Red River to Austin, named in honor of Colonel Francis W. Johnson (1799-1888), commander of the Texas army at the capture of San Antonio, December 10, 1835. Place of rendezvous for the Snivley Expedition which set out April 25, 1843. The settlement in the vicinity was known as Georgetown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256769/
[Marker: George R. Reeves]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for George R. Reeves (January 3, 1826 - September 5, 1882) in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Man for whom 2600-Sq. Mi. West Texas County was named. Born in Tennessee, married Jane Moore in 1844 in Arkansas, came to Texas about 1845, was Grayson County tax collector, 1848-1850; Sheriff, 1850-1854. Served as state representative, 1855-1861, commissioned Confederate Army officer, 1863, participant in Battle of Chickamauga and Hundred Days Atlanta Campaign. Returned to legislature, 1873, Speaker of the House, 1881-1882. Recorded - 1967. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256773/
[Marker: Louis Wilmouth]
Photograph of the marker for Louis Wilmouth in Sadler, Texas. Text: A San Jacinto veteran - born in Kentucky, 1806 - died November 11, 1893. His wife Ellen Vittitoe Wilmouth died January 22, 1896. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256830/
[Marker: Thompson House]
Photograph of the marker for the Thompson House in Denison, Texas. Text: Built by Judge James G. Thompson in the early 1840's on the south bank of Red River at Preston Road. In 1942 it was bought by Ms. Nellie Chambers and moved east of Denison to save it from the advancing waters of the newly formed Lake Texoma. Upon her death, her heirs donated the home to the village. It was moved to its present location and restored in 1986. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256928/
[Marker: Trading Post of Holland Coffee]
Photograph of the marker for the Trading Post of Holland Coffee in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Established about 1837 for trade with the Indians of the Red River region and the Western Plains. Here many white captives of the red men were redeemed. From its vicinity, the Snively Expedition set out for New Mexico on April 25, 1843. Abandoned after Coffee's death in 1846. Erected by the State of Texas 1936. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256939/
[Photograph of 1924 Masonic Temple]
Photograph of the 1924 Sherman Mason Temple building. This multistoried building with beige brick, columns, and a stone pediment is currently home to the Sherman Jazz Museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256843/
[Photograph of Allison Cemetery]
Photograph of Allison Cemetery. There is a wire fence around the cemetery with a large sign that reads "Allison". There are several headstones visible in the cemetery and there are many trees near the headstones. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256668/
[Photograph of Andrew Hanson's Grave]
Photograph of Andrew Hanson and his wife's, Anna's, tombstone in Sherman, Texas. Andrew was born in 1855 and died in 1940 and Anna was born in 1855 and died in 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256792/
[Photograph of Andrew Hanson's Historical Marker]
Photograph of Andrew Hanson's historical marker in Sherman, Texas. The plaque is on a stone column and is located in a cemetery. Behind the column is the path that goes through the cemetery. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256793/
[Photograph of Andrew L. Randell]
Photograph of Andrew Lawrence Randell's grave marker in Sherman, Texas. He was born in 1880 and died in 1931 and was a Grandmaster of the Masons in 1921. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256671/
[Photograph of Antioch Baptist Church]
Photograph of Antioch Baptist Church, a one-story building with an angled roof over the entrance. On each side of the entrance are small benches and potted plants and in front of the name for the church is a large tree. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256673/
[Photograph of Austin College]
Photograph of the Austin College campus in Sherman, Texas. The photograph focuses on a square building with a parking lot beside it and trees and shrubs in front of it. The American and Texas flags are being flown in front of the building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256675/
[Photograph of B. H. Zauk]
Photograph of the headstone of B. H. Zauk. The marker states that he died in 1919. The marker has been overgrown with grass. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256983/
[Photograph of Barron Cemetery]
Photograph of the entrance to Barron Cemetery in Collinsville, Texas. The gate leading in is a short, simple chain link fence. A grave can be seen past the historical marker and trees and plants are overgrown in the cemetery. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256677/
[Photograph of Barron-Veazey House]
Photograph of the Barron-Veazey House. The house is two stories with several windows. There is a large porch that goes around the first floor of the house. There are tall bushes outside the house and a wreath next to the front door. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256679/
[Photograph of Bennett-Richardson House]
Photograph of Bennett-Richardson House. The house is two stories and white. There is a large porch with several white chairs sitting outside. There are snowflakes hanging in some of the windows. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256681/
[Photograph of Bethel Baptist Church]
Photograph of a brick wall that reads Bethel Baptist Church. There is a Texas Historical Marker on the wall along with another granite marker. There is a large bell behind the brick wall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256683/
[Photograph of Bethel Baptist Church #2]
Photograph of Bethel Baptist Church. The church is a one story building with stained glass windows and a tower over the entrance. There are several bushes outside the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256684/
[Photograph of Binion Homestead]
Photograph of the front of Binion Homestead in Pilot Grove, Texas. The home is two-stories with an attic, and a balcony spans the second story of the house. American and Texas flags are mounted on the pillars at the front of the house. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256686/
[Photograph of Binkley Hotel]
Photograph of the former location of the Binkley Hotel in Sherman, Texas. The building has been converted into a Chase bank and there is a sign out front advertising for office space. It is a small, one-story building and has the logo for Chase near the entrance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256688/
[Photograph of Birthplace of Dwight D. Eisenhower]
Photograph of the birthplace of Dwight D. Eisenhower in Denison, Texas. The building is two-stories with a balcony on the second floor that serves as a covering for the patio. The front door as a wreath with a red ribbon tied onto it and shrubs line the front of the patio. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256733/
[Photograph of Boy Scout Troop 1 (Troop 44)]
Photograph of Boy Scout Troop 1 (Troop 44) building. The building is made of stone and wood with a wooden door. This is a flag pole in front of the building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256690/
[Photograph of Cannon Cemetery]
Photograph of Cannon Cemetery. There is a sign that reads "Cannon Cemetery" with a white cross on top of the sign. There is a large tree in the cemetery and several headstones are visible. There are flowers on some of the headstones. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256693/
[Photograph of Captain John Henry LeTellier]
Photograph of Captain John Henry LeTellier's grave in Sherman, Texas. The simple marker reads: Capt. J.H. LeTellier 1842-1913. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256697/
[Photograph of Captain LeTellier's School]
Photograph of Captain LeTellier's School in Sherman, Texas. The school building has a slanted roof and a small bell tower. There is a sidewalk along the side of the building and parking nearby. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256699/
[Photograph of Captain N. A. Birge House]
Photograph of Captain N.A. Birge House in Sherman, Texas. The multistory house is painted white with a gray roof. The second story has a balcony over the house's porch and there is a brick chimney. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256695/
[Photograph of Carpenters Bluff Bridge]
Photograph of the front of Carpenters Bluff Bridge in Denison, Texas. The bridge has metal railing and a gate across the front of it. There is a sign attached to it that reads: Weight limit 8 tons. The path to the left of the bridge has a metal archway over part of it. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256701/
[Photograph of Central Christian Church]
Photograph of the front of the Central Christian Church in Sherman, Texas. The church is painted white and has blue stained-glass windows. There are a few stairs leading up to the entrances. The church's sign is at the foot of the steps. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256707/
[Photograph of City of First United Methodist Church]
Photograph of First United Methodist Church in Tom Bean. It is a large one-story brick building with a larger area in front for the sanctuary. There is a steeple with a cross at the top of it. There are wreaths on the door. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256754/
[Photograph of City of Tom Bean #1]
Photograph of City of Tom Bean. There is a metal building that reads "City of Tom Bean", but most prominent in the photograph are two brick signs that hold a Texas Historical Marker and another plaque. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256709/
[Photograph of City of Tom Bean #2]
Photograph of City of Tom Bean. A brick sign in front of a metal building reads "Tom Bean Est. 1887". A clock sits on top of the sign. Between the sign and the building there is a pole flying an American flag and a Texas flag. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256710/
[Photograph of Civilian Conservative Corps]
Photograph of the front of the Civilian Conservative Corps in Denison, Texas. The one-story building has an awning, a green, slanted roof, and a ramp leading up to the patio. The sign by the building reads: Frontier Village. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256712/
[Photograph of Coffman Cemetery]
Photograph of the front of Coffman Cemetery in Denison, Texas. Over the short, chain link fence that leads into the cemetery is a sign that reads: Coffman-Layne Cemetery. There are variety of grave markers, including an angel statue and headstones, and trees are scattered around the cemetery. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256714/
[Photograph of Cold Springs Log Cabin School]
Photograph of the front of Cold Springs Log Cabin School in Denison, Texas. The cabin is small with a metal, slanted roof. On the bottom of the wall by the door are a snowman and Santa decorations. There is a short wooden fence in front of the house and a post by it that has a red hat attached to the top. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256717/
[Photograph of Collin McKinney]
Photograph of Collin McKinney's gravestone. It appears to be made of marble and is tall and thin. There are several other headstones visible in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256719/
[Photograph of Courthouse of Grayson County]
Photograph of a courthouse of Grayson County in Sherman, Texas. The building is three stories tall, white, and has several windows. There are a few trees in front of the building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256721/
[Photograph of Dannel Funeral Home]
Photograph of Dannel Funeral Home in Sherman, Texas. The two-story building has a balcony and a covered pathway leading up to the entrance of the building. On either side of the stairs leading to the entrance, there are small statues of lions. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256724/
[Photograph of Davis-Ansley Log Cabin Home]
Photograph of the front of Davis-Ansley Log Cabin Home in Denison, Texas. The cabin is small and has a slanted roof. The front door is open and beside it are red flowers and a wheel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256726/
[Photograph of Diamond Horse Ranch #1]
Photograph of Diamond Horse Ranch. This photograph is of a marker for the Diamond Station Butterfield Overland Mail Stage Stop at the Diamond Horse Ranch. It reads "The Diamond Station was a stop along the nearly 700 mile stretch across the Lone Star State for the Butterfield Overland Mail Stage Line Company. The Butterfield Overland Mail Company held the U.S. Mail contract for the first cross-country trek from St. Louis to San Francisco. marked as the first intercontinental mail route, the Butterfield Overland Mail Stagecoach made its first stop at the Diamond Station on September 21, 1858. The complete route took 24 days and covered 2, 812 miles, carrying mail and passengers. At this location Waterman Ormsby witnessed "the operations of harnessing a wild mule." He estimated it took thirty minutes per mule (four were used). The Diamond Station was kept by John R. diamond from 1858-1861. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256728/
[Photograph of Diamond Horse Ranch #2]
Photograph of Diamond Horse Ranch. There is a metal fence surrounding the area and there is a large "D" painted onto the gate of the fence. The historical marker is visible in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256729/
[Photograph of Dorchester School]
Photograph of Dorchester School in Dorchester, Texas. The school building is in the background of the photograph and at the forefront is the historical marker for the site. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256731/
[Photograph of Elliot Cemetery]
Photograph of Elliot Cemetery. The Texas Historical Marker is visible in the picture. There are two gravestones visible - one of them is for the Elliot family and the other is partially blocked by the historical marker. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256736/
[Photograph of Everheart-Canaan Cemetery]
Photograph of Everheart-Canaan Cemetery. There is a wire fence surrounding the cemetery and a flag pole with an American flag in the foreground. There are several trees and headstones visible in the photograph, and the Texas Historical Marker for the cemetery is also visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256740/
[Photograph of Fink]
Photograph of the welcome sign to Fink, Texas. Behind the welcome sign is another sign with an advertisement for boats. On the right side of the photograph is a two story motel with several pairs of doors lining the wall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256744/
[Photograph of First Baptist Church of Bells]
Photograph of First Baptist Church of Bells in Bells, Texas. The church is a one-story building with a slanted roof and small, stained-glass windows around the side. Two wreaths with red flowers are hanging on the doors at the church's entrance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256746/
[Photograph of First Christian Church]
Photograph of First Christian Church in Van Alstyne. The church is a two-story brick building with several windows. There are stairs leading up to the entrance, and there are two white columns in front of the entrance. There is a marquee neat the entrance with two wreaths on it. Information for Christmas services is visible on the marquee. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256750/
[Photograph of First Christian Church of Howe]
Photograph of the First Christian Church of Howe in Howe, Texas. The church has steep roofs, and there is either a tower or steeple above the entrance. There are a few steps leading up to the entrance of the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256748/
[Photograph of First Methodist Church of Whitewright]
Photograph of First Methodist Church of Whitewright. The church is a large, white one-story building with a two-story tower on the right side. There are two wreaths on the doors to the church. There is a manger scene set up outside the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256752/
[Photograph of First Presbyterian Church and Manse]
Photograph of First Presbyterian Church. The church is a two-story brick building with stairs leading up to the door. There is a sign for First Presbyterian Church outside. There are two trees in front of the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256756/
[Photograph of First United Methodist Church]
Photograph of First United Methodist Church in Sherman, Texas. The church has large pillars supporting an awning. There is a steeple with a small cross at the top of it. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256772/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST