This system will be undergoing maintenance Tuesday, May 5, 2015 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM CDT.

  You limited your search to:

  Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Grayson College]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Grayson College in Whitewright, Texas. Text: Original Campus Site. Founders: H.L. Piner - F.E. Butler, J.F. Anderson - J.L. Truett. Erected by Ex-students' association. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256777/
[Photograph of Fort Johnson]
Photograph of the site of Fort Johnson in Pottsboro, Texas. The area is an empty field with a gate blocking a dirt path. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256770/
[Photograph of Grayson College]
Photograph of the original site Grayson College. The site is now a field with two houses in the background. The historical marker is visible in the picture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256778/
[Photograph of George R. Reeves' Grave]
Photograph of George R. Reeves' tombstone in Pottsboro, Texas. The tombstone reads: Honorable George R. Reeves, born January 3, 1826, died September 5, 1882. Aged 56 years 8 months & 2 days. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256774/
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Grayson County]
Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Grayson County in Sherman, Texas. Text: In the mainstream of the Texas history for more than a century, this area was, in 1837, the site of Colonel Holland Coffee's Trading Post, a landmark structure at the Preston Bend Crossing of the Red River. It was a focal point beginning in 1842 for settlers of the important Peters Colony. In 1846 the county was created from part of Fannin County by the 1st State Legislature. It was named for Peter W. Grayson, who immigrated to Texas in 1830, served in the Texas Revolution, and was attorney general in the Republic. Also in 1848 the county was organized and Sherman was made county seat. The original town site was 5 1/4 mi. W. of here. It was moved to its present location, 1848. Honoree of the town name was Colonel Sidney Sherman, a hero of the Battle of San Jacinto. The place is distinguished for having had at least five courthouses and for its superior schools of the 19th century. It was once known as the "Athens of Texas". In 1858 the famous Butterfield Trail crossed the county and in the same period and later, a number of cattle trails and early railroads traversed the area. Today Lake Texoma, created 1939-1944, is a county tourist attraction. The Sherman-Denison region was named a standard metropolitan statistical area, 1967. (1969) texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256779/
[Photograph of Grayson Bible Baptist Church]
Photograph of Grayson Bible Baptist Church in Sherman, Texas. The building has one story, and there is a black tower at the front of the church with three white, large crosses on top of it. On either side of the tower is a covered entrance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256776/
[Marker: George R. Reeves]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for George R. Reeves (January 3, 1826 - September 5, 1882) in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Man for whom 2600-Sq. Mi. West Texas County was named. Born in Tennessee, married Jane Moore in 1844 in Arkansas, came to Texas about 1845, was Grayson County tax collector, 1848-1850; Sheriff, 1850-1854. Served as state representative, 1855-1861, commissioned Confederate Army officer, 1863, participant in Battle of Chickamauga and Hundred Days Atlanta Campaign. Returned to legislature, 1873, Speaker of the House, 1881-1882. Recorded - 1967. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256773/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Sherman Opera House]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Site of Old Sherman Opera House in Sherman, Texas. Text: Formerly a 3-story Victoria structure with twin cupolas. Built by Capt. L.F. Ely, who made the bricks in his city factory. Lavish interior had carpeted aisles, Damask curtains and red plush seats. Benches in economy section were called the "buzzard roost". From its completion (1881) until closing (1918), it helped make Sherman a cultural center. First show was operetta "The Mikado". Also given here were Shakespearean plays, musical reviews, temperance lectures and trained animal acts. Remodeled (1961) for commercial use. Original bricks remain. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256865/
[Photograph of Old Bass Home]
Photograph of Old Bass Home in Denison, Texas. The two-story building is white with a balcony above the front door. The windows are tall and narrow and there are short shrubs along the front of the house. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256862/
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Old Bass Home]
Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for the Old Bass Home in Denison, Texas. Text: Oldest extant house in city. Erected in 1850's, by Dr. R.L. Bullock. Built around typical "dog run" or entry hall. Had first window glass in county. Family home of Confederate Col. T.C. Bass since 1867. His daughter Netti, born here 1868, lived in home 97 years. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1968. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256861/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Town of Cannon]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Old Town of Cannon in Van Alstyne, Texas. Text: Founded 1852 by Elijah Cannon, who came from South Caroline with his children and slaves to develop 700 acres of land. Family established a church, cotton gin, grist mill, wagon factory. By 1885 town had an academy and 400 people. Bypassed by Houston & Texas Central Railroad, it declined rapidly in the 1890s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256867/
[Photograph of Odd Fellows Hall]
Photograph of Odd Fellows Hall in Sherman, Texas. White plastered stone covers the front of the building, with a recessed door visible near a Texas Historical Marker. A sign hangs off of the building advertising the lodge. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256860/
[Photograph of Old Town of Cannon]
Photograph of Old Town of Cannon. The Texas Historical Marker is visible in the picture. It is a large grassy area with several trees on the side. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256868/
[Photograph of Old Sherman Public Library]
Photograph of Old Sherman Public Library in Sherman, Texas. The brick building has a stairway bifurcated by a dark metal handrail that leads up to the double doors. Stone columns on either side of the doorway rise up to a stone pediment above. Windows on the main floor are framed in white. A lower floor is visible behind a hedgerow. This lower portion of the building is not brick, but white stone. The building currently houses the Sherman Museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256864/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Olive Ann Oatman Fairchild]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Olive Ann Oatman Fairchild (1837-1903) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Captured in Arizona at age 13 (1851) by Yavapai Indians, who massacred 6 members of family. Sold to Mojave Indians, she was treated kindly but bore mark of a slave - blue, cactus needle tattoo on skin - for rest of life. Ransomed by Army at Fort Yuma, 1856. Lived in California, then New York. There she married J. B. Fairchild in 1865. About 1872 moved to Sherman, where husband founded city bank. Resided in Sherman until death in 1903. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256869/
[Photograph of Old Sherman Opera House]
Photograph of the Old Sherman Opera House in Sherman, Texas. Columns of brick support the upper floors of the structure, with glass windows and doorways visible in between. Furniture, rugs, and a hardwood floor are visible through the windows. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256866/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Sherman Public Library]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Old Sherman Public Library in Sherman, Texas. Text: A subscription library was established in Sherman in 1901 and housed in a rented room. In 1911, the city submitted a request to the Andrew Carnegie Foundation and received $20,000 for a library. This lot was purchased in 1912 for $2500 and plans were drawn for a structure of simplified Beaux-Arts styling by local architect John Tullock (1860-1947). The building served as a library from 1915 until 1973. Of note are the three interior murals, completed in 1934. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -- 1986. Entered in the National Register of Historic Places -- 1990. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256863/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Grayson Bible Baptist Church]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Grayson Bible Baptist Church in Sherman, Texas. Text: On the evening of Monday, June 22, 1931, John R. Rice began a revival service on the Grayson County Courthouse Square. The revival took place where the 1870s courthouse had stood. That building was burned to the ground in May 1930 during mob violence that caused the death of an African American man who had been accused of a crime. Businesses and homes of African American residents were also destroyed. The revival's location - in the center of Sherman - was a perfect one. Large crowds of people attended, and the revival lasted for over a month. When rice asked attendees to present themselves to organize a new church, forty people answered the call, and on July 16, 1931, the fundamentalist Baptist Church was organized. On the evening of July 28, a tank was constructed on the courthouse lawn and a baptismal service was conducted. The congregation soon built a tabernacle at the corner of south Montgomery and East Cherry, and the first service in the building was held on Sunday, September 12, 1931. The church has changed locations several times through the years, and the current structure was constructed in 2004 on East Highway 82. During the late 1940s the church's name changed to Central Baptist Church, and again changed in 1973 to Grayson Bible Baptist Church. The church has actively supported mission work and outreach. During the 1950s a church bus was sent to nearby Perrin Air Force Base to bring soldiers to church services. Grayson Christian Academy was established in 1973 as an outreach ministry of the church. Marker is property of the state of Texas. (2009) texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256775/
[Photograph of First United Methodist Church]
Photograph of First United Methodist Church in Sherman, Texas. The church has large pillars supporting an awning. There is a steeple with a small cross at the top of it. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256772/
[Photograph of the Grave of Mattie Davis Lucas]
Photograph of the gravestone of Mattie Davis Lucas (1869 - 1936). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256845/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: 1924 Masonic Temple]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for 1924 Masonic Temple in Sherman, Texas. Text: Travis Lodge No. 117, A.F. & A.M., was chartered in 1852. This site was acquired in 1916, although this classical revival temple was not built until 1924. Designed by local architects John Tulloch and the firm of Clyce & Rolfe, the building features giant order columns and portico, fifteen over fifteen windows, and a segmental arch entry pediment. It remained the headquarters for the masonic lodge until 1985. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256842/
[Photograph of Mary Florence Cowell]
Photograph of Mary Florence Cowell's house. The house is a one-story white house with red trim and shutters. There is a screened-in porch at the front of the house. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256841/
[Photograph of Merchants and Planters National Bank]
Photograph of Merchants and Planters National Bank, now inhabited by Chase Bank. This is a multistoried stone structure with its windows arranged in sets of twos and threes in the floors above the entryway. A Texas Historical Marker is visible upon the ground floor wall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256847/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mary Florence Cowell]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Mary Florence Cowell (November 10, 1860 - July 13, 1940) in Whitesboro, Texas. Text: Mary Florence (Tinsman) Cowell and her husband S. B. Cowell came to Texas from Missouri in 1900. Mrs. Cowell was a member of the P.E.O. Sisterhood, a philanthropic educational organization founded in 1869 at Wesleyan College in Iowa and dedicated to educational opportunities for women. Her friend Dora Hallock, P.E.O. Supreme Chapter Organizer, visited Whitesboro in 1902. Together they organized Chapter A, the first P.E.O chapter in Texas, in the Cowell home on this site. Mary Florence Cowell was elected president of Chapter A and was instrumental in the organization of the Texas State chapter of the P.E.O. in Whitesboro in 1928. Elected the first Texas State president of the organization, she eventually became known as "the mothers of P.E.O. in Texas." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256840/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Metz House]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Metz House in Sherman, Texas. Text: Edward Metz (1854-1913) came to Texas from Michigan as a young man to join his brother, Charles, in a leather goods business. In the 1870s, they built a profitable trade, buying buffalo hides and other furs from Indian tribes in Oklahoma to sell to eastern markets. Metz is credited with helping keep peace between the Indians and settlers in Grayson County. In 1883 he built this house, with Victorian fish scale siding, as a present for his bride, Lillian (Craycroft). Occupied from 1909 to 1939 by prominent local physician Dr. J. D. Meadow, it was restored in 1975-76 by Byron Rice (b. 1957). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256848/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mattie Davis Lucas]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Mattie Davis Lucas (January 12, 1869 - October 27, 1936) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Martha Ora "Mattie" Davis was born in Mississippi and moved to Texas as an infant. She earned a teaching certificate in 1884, and in 1889 married William H. Lucas. Active in civic organizations and women's clubs, Mattie spearheaded many civic improvements in Grayson County, including the establishment of a Carnegie Library, home front war work, and the collection and preservation of local history. Her efforts to commemorate the Texas Centennial resulted in the placement of several historical markers. She co-authored the first history of Grayson County, published just days after her death in 1936. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256844/
[Photograph of Metz House]
Photograph of Metz House in Sherman, Texas. Largely obscured by the foliage of a tree, what is visible is a two story wooden building with greenish blue siding, darker blue trim, and posts with flaking white paint. Rocking chairs sit along the front porch of the building. In the foreground, the rounded top of a metal fence is visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256849/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Merchants and Planters National Bank]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Merchants and Planters National Bank in Sherman, Texas. Text: One of the oldest banks in North Texas. Replaced Sherman's "Pecan Tree Bank"; for 22 years traders hung saddlebags filled with gold on tree's branches. Bank was founded in 1872 with $150,000 capital when city was 26 years old. Promoted growth of Sherman and was hub of North Texas area and Indian Territory serving ranchers, farmers, traders. Became National Bank in 1884. First president was C. C. Binkley; first directors, J. P. Dumas, Silas Hare, Sr., J. M. Lindsay, J. H. Slater, G. Van Winkle, C. A. Andrews. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256846/
[Photograph of 1924 Masonic Temple]
Photograph of the 1924 Sherman Mason Temple building. This multistoried building with beige brick, columns, and a stone pediment is currently home to the Sherman Jazz Museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256843/
[Photograph of Hendrix Cemetery]
Photograph of Hendrix Cemetery in Sherman, Texas. The area has no visible grave markers and is overgrown with trees and plants. A wire fence with an entrance constructed of wooden posts demarcates the area. There is a ruined sign above the entrance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256795/
[Photograph of Andrew Hanson's Grave]
Photograph of Andrew Hanson and his wife's, Anna's, tombstone in Sherman, Texas. Andrew was born in 1855 and died in 1940 and Anna was born in 1855 and died in 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256792/
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Andrew Hanson]
Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Andrew Hanson in Sherman, Texas. Text: Owned Sherman's first bakery for 35 years. Born in Schleswigholstein, Denmark. Came to United States, 1872, and to Texas, 1878. With F.W. Boedeker (whose interest he soon bought) started the Star Bakery, 1879. Had first delivery service, first commercially made ice cream in town. Built family residence at two midtown sites. Married (1880) Anna Lundorf; had 4 children. His father, mother, and brothers came from Denmark to join him. All are buried here. Recorded - 1972. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256791/
[Photograph of Hiram Lodge No. 433, A.F. & A.M.]
Photograph of a side view of Hiram Lodge No. 433, A.F. & A.M in Collinsville, Texas. The front of the buildings is made of stone. On the sidewalk is a sign for the lodge. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256797/
[Photograph of Hall Furniture Building]
Photograph of Hall Furniture Building in Sherman, Texas. It is a multistory building with Christmas decorations in the windows. In the large window on the first floor it reads "Antiques Visitor Center." There is a sign for the Hall Furniture Company on the wall and an electronic sign for the Antiques Visitor Center. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256790/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Hopewell Baptist Church]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Hopewell Baptist Church in Denison, Texas. Text: In 1874 this church was founded to serve the black community of this growing railroad town. Ministers from several Baptist churches in the county helped organize the new fellowship some of the charter members transferred from St. John Baptist church in Preston Bend. In 1877 fire destroyed the congregation's first meeting place. A frame building erected at this site was replaced in 1891 by a brick edifice. The present church was begun in 1915. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall spoke here in 1950. When Hopewell was host to the NAACP Regional Convention. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256798/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Hendrix Cemetery]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Hendrix Cemetery in Sherman, Texas. Text: A native of North Carolina, John Hendrix (1798-1893) came to Texas in 1846 with his wife, Ruth (Stradef) (1804-1882), their children, and seven other families. Their first camp in the area is marked by a large boulder in this cemetery. Hendrix ran successful farming and nursery operations and became a prominent and influential citizen of Grayson County. Shortly after his arrival, Hendrix established this cemetery, located on land he acquired after his settlement here. The one-acre burial ground eventually was deeded to Grayson County. The first known burial, that of the infant son of M. and D. Perdue, took place in 1848. John and Ruth Hendrix are buried here as is their son Josiah Tompkins and daughter Nancy Hendricks Jennings. There are approximately forty-five marked graves in the Hendrix Cemetery, many date from the last half of the nineteenth century and some display illegible inscriptions. An unmarked section in the Northwest corner of the graveyard was reserved for slave burials. Used for more than one hundred years by Hendrix family relatives and descendants. Close friends and associates, the cemetery is a significant reminder of early Grayson County history. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256794/
[Photograph of Tom Randolph]
Photograph of Tom Randolph's memorial. It is a large granite structure with columns and a statue in the middle. The sun is setting behind the memorial in this photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256938/
[Photograph of Tioga United Methodist Church]
Photograph of Tioga United Methodist Church. It is a small white building with concrete stairs leading up to the building. There is a steeple on top of the building with a cross at the top. There is a sign outside for the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256934/
[Marker: Trading Post of Holland Coffee]
Photograph of the marker for the Trading Post of Holland Coffee in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Established about 1837 for trade with the Indians of the Red River region and the Western Plains. Here many white captives of the red men were redeemed. From its vicinity, the Snively Expedition set out for New Mexico on April 25, 1843. Abandoned after Coffee's death in 1846. Erected by the State of Texas 1936. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256939/
[Photograph of Thomas Jefferson Shannon]
Photograph of Thomas Jefferson Shannon's gravestone. There is a symbol of the masons on his headstone. The stone is so old that the text is almost unreadable. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256936/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga United Methodist Church]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Tioga United Methodist Church in Tioga, Texas. Text: Services began in homes of the Shiloh community, two miles to the east of here. In 1887, the worshipers organized the Shiloh Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mr. Allen as pastor. After Tioga was founded, the congregation moved here and erected original building on this site in 1893. Additional rooms and facilities have since been added to the central structure. This church has faithfully served Tioga. One of its members, Olan R. Van Zandt, was a representative, then senator, in the Texas legislature for 16 years, 1926-1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256933/
[Photograph of Terrell High School]
Photograph of Terrell High School in Denison, Texas. The field is empty with a chain link fence surrounding it and buildings can be seen in the distance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256925/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: St. Patrick's Catholic Church]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Denison, Texas. Text: St. Patrick's parish was founded in 1872 by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Galveston, Claude Dubuis. The first church building at this site, designed by noted architect Nicholas J. Clayton, was completed in 1898. Destroyed by fire in 1911, the structure was rebuilt, incorporating much of Clayton's original design into the new facade. Completed in 1914, the Gothic revival building features fine patterned brickwork and lancet arches. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1983. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256922/
[Photograph of St. Mary's Catholic Church]
Photograph of St. Mary's Catholic Church. It is a large brick building. The middle of the building is tall because of the bell tower. There are many stained glass windows. There is a sign outside for Saint Mary's Catholic Church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256921/
[Photograph of Home of Thomas V. Munson]
Photograph of the home of Thomas V. Munson to Denison, Texas. The two-story house has narrow windows with shutters. There is a fence around the yard and a paved path leading to the entrance and around the house. There a sign out front that reads: Vinita 1887. Thomas Volney Munson historic home. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256927/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: St. Mary's Catholic Church]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for St. Mary's Catholic Church in Sherman, Texas. Text: The first recorded mass in Sherman took place in 1872, and three years later Bishop Claude Dubuis of the Diocese of Galveston created a parish here and sent the Rev. Louis Granger to serve as first pastor. A wooden chapel housed worship services until this church's building was completed in 1906. St. Mary's is an excellent example of the work of noted Galveston architect Nicholas Clayton, who included Gothic and Romanesque elements in his design. Built by contractor William Cornish & Sons, the church is a significant part of Sherman's architectural heritage. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256920/
[Marker: Thompson House]
Photograph of the marker for the Thompson House in Denison, Texas. Text: Built by Judge James G. Thompson in the early 1840's on the south bank of Red River at Preston Road. In 1942 it was bought by Ms. Nellie Chambers and moved east of Denison to save it from the advancing waters of the newly formed Lake Texoma. Upon her death, her heirs donated the home to the village. It was moved to its present location and restored in 1986. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256928/
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Terrell High School]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Terrell High School in Denison, Texas. Text: Churches and private schools provided early education training for African American students in Denison until 1886, when Anderson Public High School opened at 530 W. Bond Street. To meet the need for improved and centralized facilities, district trustees opened a new school at this site in 1927. William R. Wims served as the first principal for Terrell School, named in honor of Augustus H. Terrell (d. 1929), noted educator, respected civic leader and first principal of Anderson High. The original school building served all grades and included four classrooms and a small auditorium. Prominent principals Wims, Mason S. Frazier and Evans Tyree Hardeman directed the school's expansion in its formative years to serve a growing community and provide increased educational opportunities. Early teachers received low salaries, but in 1946 Sammye Taylor Savage, elementary teacher at Terrell, successfully sued for pay equalization throughout the district. Terrell students set high standards in academics, the arts and athletics. The school produced many accomplished civic, business, and professional leaders, as well as performing artists and athletes. The winning traditions of Terrell's maroon and white Dragons, including state football championships in the 1940s, were a source of community pride and identity. With the implementation of integration came the close of Terrell High School, and the last class graduated in May 1967. Later used for middle and elementary school classes, the campus was razed in 2000, the year a new Terrell Elementary School opened nearby (200 yds. se). Today, the history of the high school, in existence for forty years, continues to live on in the Terrell name and in the memories of its alumni. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256924/
[Photograph of Thompson House #1]
Photograph of information for Thompson House in Denison, Texas. Text: The James G. Thompson house was moved to Grayson County Frontier Village in 1990 having been moved from Nellie Chambers property on PawPaw Hill east of Denison. Mrs. Chambers moved the house to her property from Preston Bend but never got the whole structure. Thompson, Grayson County's first County Judge, also served as postmaster. Thompson being a cabinet maker, with the help of his family and possible slaves, built the "log frame" home using white oak logs. A wide hall in the center of the house leads to a back porch with small rooms on each end. One room served as a kitchen and the other Judge Thompson's office and post office. The hall gives the house the impression of a dog trot. It is noted that perhaps transients along the Thompson Ferry Road might have slept in the post office room without being taken into the family quarters. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256929/
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Home of Thomas V. Munson]
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Home of Thomas V. Munson (1843-1913) in Denison, Texas. Text: World famed grape culturist. Earned second degree ever given at Kentucky A.&M. College (1870). Moved to Denison 1876; became a civic leader and had nurseries for wide varieties of plants. In 1880's helped France save vineyards from root disease, and became second American ever named to French Legion of Honor. His scientific papers filed in Washington, D.C., are still used by horticulturists. He and his wife built this home 1887. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1967. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256926/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST