You limited your search to:

  Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Walnut Street Church of Christ]

[Photograph of Walnut Street Church of Christ]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Walnut Street Church of Christ building. It is a large brick building with stained glass windows. There is a flight of stairs leading up to the building. There are two stories, and another lower story that appears to be partially underground. There are two columns at the entrance to the church.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Vittitoe Cemetery]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Vittitoe Cemetery]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Vittitoe Cemetery in Whitewright, Texas. Text: This graveyard was begun as a family burial plot by Samuel and Ellen Vittitoe, who settled on land surrounding this site in 1852. Their son, Frank, probably was the first to be buried here sometime before the outbreak of the Civil War, although his headstone is undated, the Vittitoes made it known to the residents of Kentucky Town (1 mi. N.) that their plot was open for burials outside the family, but the cemetery was not used as a public burial ground until it was legally established as such in 1885. More than 700 graves have been recorded in the Vittitoe Cemetery, most of them bear tombstones with legible inscriptions, but others are marked only by stakes or pieces of stone or rock, included among those buried here are early settlers such as Andrew Thomas, who brought his family to the area in 1837; numerous Civil War veterans; the Rev. Isaac Teague, Pastor of the Kentucky Town Baptist Church during the early 1900s; and Benjamin Earnest, who helped establish a general store soon after settling in Kentucky Town in 1859. Vittitoe Cemetery, which is cared for ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Van Alstyne Cemetery]

[Photograph of Van Alstyne Cemetery]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Van Alstyne Cemetery. There is a brick sign and several large trees near the sign. Several headstones are visible, and many of the graves have flowers.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Washburn Cemetery]

[Photograph of Washburn Cemetery]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the front of Washburn Cemetery in Bells, Texas. The gate leading into the cemetery has lettering above it spelling out "Washburn." Scattered among the graves are trees.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Van Alstyne Cemetery]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Van Alstyne Cemetery]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Van Alstyne Cemetery in Van Alstyne, Texas. Text: Established 1846 Historic Texas Cemetery 2005
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: L.A. Washington, Jr. and Wife Martha A.]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: L.A. Washington, Jr. and Wife Martha A.]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for L.A. Washington, Jr. and Wife Martha A. in Denison, Texas. Text: Grandnephew of George Washington, who had been guardian of L.A.'s father was a doctor; came to Texas 1849 with inaugural suit. Personal letters of George Washington. Wife came from noted West Virginia family. Recorded - 1968.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Walnut Street Church of Christ]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Walnut Street Church of Christ]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Walnut Street Church of Christ in Sherman, Texas. Text: Completed in 1920, this classical revival sanctuary first served the congregation of the Walnut Street Church of Christ. Known as Travis Street Church of Christ since 1963, when it moved to a new site, the congregation has ties to the 1850s. Members built this edifice to serve as their third sanctuary. The chapel is a two-story raised structure with a central stairway, grand portico, and 48 stained glass windows.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Washburn Cemetery]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Washburn Cemetery]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Washburn Cemetery in Bells, Texas. Text: Samuel and Mary Washburn and their family moved to Texas from Missouri in 1836. Washburn was granted 1280 acres of land in 1838. As more settlers moved into the area, a burial site was needed and a portion of land on the south edge of the Washburn survey was set aside for a cemetery. The oldest marked grave is that of infant Mary Gentry in 1867. However, many graves marked only with rocks or Bois D'Arc posts are believed to be from the 1850s. The 2.5-acre cemetery contains about 300 graves. The Washburn Cemetery Association maintains the site.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Vittitoe Cemetery]

[Photograph of Vittitoe Cemetery]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Vittitoe Cemetery in Whitewright, Texas. There is a brick sign that reads "Vittitoe Cemetery". Several headstones are visible and there are several trees in the cemetery.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mame Roberts]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mame Roberts]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Mame Roberts (August 19, 1883 - December 24, 1976) in Howe, Texas. Text: The daughter of James M. and Martha Sue (Baxter) Roberts, Mame Roberts lived her entire life in or near the community of Howe. Largely self-taught, she worked as a substitute teacher in the lower grades at the Howe public schools in the early 1900s before turning to her life's work-promoting civic improvements and beautification. As the writer of a weekly column in the Howe Messenger, Mame Roberts promoted her hometown and encouraged its beautification. Her campaign to make Howe the "Prettiest Little Town in Texas" motivated other small Texas towns to take similar action. A series of articles in the Dallas Morning News provided step-by-step instructions for carrying out beautification efforts, and she was in great demand as a speaker at garden club gatherings throughout this part of the state. Mame's work attracted the attention of Life magazine and Reader's Digest, and she was named "Woman of the Day" on May 14, 1949, on Eleanor and Anna Roosevelt's National Radio Program. Her leadership positions included: President of the Grayson County Federation of Women's Club; President of the Texoma Redbud ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West