You limited your search to:

  Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
 Collection: Texas History Collection
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Town of Cannon]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Town of Cannon]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Old Town of Cannon in Van Alstyne, Texas. Text: Founded 1852 by Elijah Cannon, who came from South Caroline with his children and slaves to develop 700 acres of land. Family established a church, cotton gin, grist mill, wagon factory. By 1885 town had an academy and 400 people. Bypassed by Houston & Texas Central Railroad, it declined rapidly in the 1890s.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Odd Fellows Hall]

[Photograph of Odd Fellows Hall]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Odd Fellows Hall in Sherman, Texas. White plastered stone covers the front of the building, with a recessed door visible near a Texas Historical Marker. A sign hangs off of the building advertising the lodge.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Old Town of Cannon]

[Photograph of Old Town of Cannon]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Old Town of Cannon. The Texas Historical Marker is visible in the picture. It is a large grassy area with several trees on the side.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Old Sherman Public Library]

[Photograph of Old Sherman Public Library]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Old Sherman Public Library in Sherman, Texas. The brick building has a stairway bifurcated by a dark metal handrail that leads up to the double doors. Stone columns on either side of the doorway rise up to a stone pediment above. Windows on the main floor are framed in white. A lower floor is visible behind a hedgerow. This lower portion of the building is not brick, but white stone. The building currently houses the Sherman Museum.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Olive Ann Oatman Fairchild]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Olive Ann Oatman Fairchild]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Olive Ann Oatman Fairchild (1837-1903) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Captured in Arizona at age 13 (1851) by Yavapai Indians, who massacred 6 members of family. Sold to Mojave Indians, she was treated kindly but bore mark of a slave - blue, cactus needle tattoo on skin - for rest of life. Ransomed by Army at Fort Yuma, 1856. Lived in California, then New York. There she married J. B. Fairchild in 1865. About 1872 moved to Sherman, where husband founded city bank. Resided in Sherman until death in 1903.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Old Sherman Opera House]

[Photograph of Old Sherman Opera House]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Old Sherman Opera House in Sherman, Texas. Columns of brick support the upper floors of the structure, with glass windows and doorways visible in between. Furniture, rugs, and a hardwood floor are visible through the windows.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Sherman Public Library]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Sherman Public Library]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Old Sherman Public Library in Sherman, Texas. Text: A subscription library was established in Sherman in 1901 and housed in a rented room. In 1911, the city submitted a request to the Andrew Carnegie Foundation and received $20,000 for a library. This lot was purchased in 1912 for $2500 and plans were drawn for a structure of simplified Beaux-Arts styling by local architect John Tullock (1860-1947). The building served as a library from 1915 until 1973. Of note are the three interior murals, completed in 1934. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -- 1986. Entered in the National Register of Historic Places -- 1990.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Grayson Bible Baptist Church]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Grayson Bible Baptist Church]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Grayson Bible Baptist Church in Sherman, Texas. Text: On the evening of Monday, June 22, 1931, John R. Rice began a revival service on the Grayson County Courthouse Square. The revival took place where the 1870s courthouse had stood. That building was burned to the ground in May 1930 during mob violence that caused the death of an African American man who had been accused of a crime. Businesses and homes of African American residents were also destroyed. The revival's location - in the center of Sherman - was a perfect one. Large crowds of people attended, and the revival lasted for over a month. When rice asked attendees to present themselves to organize a new church, forty people answered the call, and on July 16, 1931, the fundamentalist Baptist Church was organized. On the evening of July 28, a tank was constructed on the courthouse lawn and a baptismal service was conducted. The congregation soon built a tabernacle at the corner of south Montgomery and East Cherry, and the first service in the building was held on Sunday, September 12, 1931. The church has changed locations several times through the years, ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of First United Methodist Church]

[Photograph of First United Methodist Church]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of First United Methodist Church in Sherman, Texas. The church has large pillars supporting an awning. There is a steeple with a small cross at the top of it.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of the Grave of Mattie Davis Lucas]

[Photograph of the Grave of Mattie Davis Lucas]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the gravestone of Mattie Davis Lucas (1869 - 1936).
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West