You limited your search to:

  Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
 Collection: Texas History Collection
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga Cemetery]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga Cemetery]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Tioga Cemetery in Tioga, Texas. Text: In November 1881, settlers established the community of Tioga on the eastern edge of the East Cross Timbers, and it incorporated as a city in 1906. For the first decades of Tioga's history, residents buried their loved ones on private land in family cemeteries. In February 1906, W.R. and Sally J. Gillespie deeded five acres of their farmland to the local Woodmen of the World camp for use as a burial ground; the first grave dates to that year. Many of the early headstones are Woodmen of the World markers. The community continued using and improving the cemetery over the years, adding a pavilion in 1924 for funeral services. Today, the burial ground is a tie to generations of Tioga area residents, and is the final resting place for veterans of military conflicts dating to the Civil War, including both Union and Confederate soldiers. Other notable persons interred here are Texas Senator Olin. R. Van Zandt and the Rev. H.G. Ball, a primitive Baptist preacher who presided over the funeral service for U.S. Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn. An association maintains the burial ground for ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tom Randolph]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tom Randolph]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Tom Randolph (Nov. 13, 1854 - Jan. 8, 1918) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Tennessee native Thomas Randolph came to Grayson County with his family in 1859. Groomed to be a businessman, he was invited at age 19 to join C.C. Binkley at the Merchants and Planters Bank, which grew into a very prosperous and influential financial institution. Randolph served as bank president from 1886 until his death. In that capacity, he helped attract new industry and business to Sherman, and worked to establish the city's first hospital. He also served as chairman of the board of the National Bank of Commerce of St. Louis, Missouri, but always considered Sherman his home.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Thompson House #2]

[Photograph of Thompson House #2]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Thompson House in Denison, Texas. The house is one-story tall with chairs on the porch and an awning.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Tom Randolph]

[Photograph of Tom Randolph]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Tom Randolph's memorial. It is a large granite structure with columns and a statue in the middle. The sun is setting behind the memorial in this photograph.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Tioga United Methodist Church]

[Photograph of Tioga United Methodist Church]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Tioga United Methodist Church. It is a small white building with concrete stairs leading up to the building. There is a steeple on top of the building with a cross at the top. There is a sign outside for the church.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Marker: Trading Post of Holland Coffee]

[Marker: Trading Post of Holland Coffee]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the marker for the Trading Post of Holland Coffee in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Established about 1837 for trade with the Indians of the Red River region and the Western Plains. Here many white captives of the red men were redeemed. From its vicinity, the Snively Expedition set out for New Mexico on April 25, 1843. Abandoned after Coffee's death in 1846. Erected by the State of Texas 1936.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Thomas Jefferson Shannon]

[Photograph of Thomas Jefferson Shannon]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Thomas Jefferson Shannon's gravestone. There is a symbol of the masons on his headstone. The stone is so old that the text is almost unreadable.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga United Methodist Church]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga United Methodist Church]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Tioga United Methodist Church in Tioga, Texas. Text: Services began in homes of the Shiloh community, two miles to the east of here. In 1887, the worshipers organized the Shiloh Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mr. Allen as pastor. After Tioga was founded, the congregation moved here and erected original building on this site in 1893. Additional rooms and facilities have since been added to the central structure. This church has faithfully served Tioga. One of its members, Olan R. Van Zandt, was a representative, then senator, in the Texas legislature for 16 years, 1926-1942.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Photograph of Terrell High School]

[Photograph of Terrell High School]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of Terrell High School in Denison, Texas. The field is empty with a chain link fence surrounding it and buildings can be seen in the distance.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: St. Patrick's Catholic Church]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: St. Patrick's Catholic Church]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Denison, Texas. Text: St. Patrick's parish was founded in 1872 by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Galveston, Claude Dubuis. The first church building at this site, designed by noted architect Nicholas J. Clayton, was completed in 1898. Destroyed by fire in 1911, the structure was rebuilt, incorporating much of Clayton's original design into the new facade. Completed in 1914, the Gothic revival building features fine patterned brickwork and lancet arches. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1983.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West