Dear Portal friends: Do you enjoy having history at your fingertips?
We’ve appreciated your support over the years, and need your help to keep history alive.
Here’s the deal: we’ve received a Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Now it’s time to keep our word and raise matching funds for the Cathy Nelson Hartman Portal to Texas History Endowment.
If even half the people who use the Portal this month give $5, we’d meet our $1.5 million goal immediately!
donations are tax-deductible and support Texas history: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
You limited your search to:
Private Collection of Howard and Brenda McClurkin
Texas History Collection
- [Bill of sale for the slave "Joe" to William Murrell by D.S. Wade, May 1854]
Bill of sale for the slave "Joe" to William Murrell from D.S. Ward. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36150/
- [Lien for purchase of land by L.H. Stuckey to George Burkhart, March 15, 1881]
Note with Vendor's Lien for purchase of 140 10/11 acres from George Burkhart by L.H. Stuckey, for land located in the Charles D. Ball survey in Montague County. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36151/
- [Letter to William Murrell regarding taxes, October 3, 1862]
Letter from tax assessor E.B. Hicks to William Murrell. Taxes of $32.72 assessed on 27 slaves and 17 horses. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36152/
- [Letter to Mr. Young from Thomas Ward, November 28, 1859]
Letter to Mr. Young from Thomas Ward, regarding acceptable terms of sale for land in Cooke County Texas. Discusses abolition and the potential dissolution of the Union. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36154/
- [Letter regarding a loan for William Murrell, January 12, 1861]
Letter to a "cousin" from J. Thompson and Giles Thompson, introducing William Murrell and discussing acceptable terms for a loan to Murrell with slaves as collateral. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36153/
- [Bill of sale for slaves, William Murrell to the Estate of Samuel Blair, April 2, 1845]
Receipt of payment for slaves from William Murrell to the estate of Samuel Blair. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36157/
- [Bill of sale for three slaves to William Murrell, September 20, 1849]
Bill of sale for the slaves Anderson, Henry, and Maloina to William Murrell by Samuell Murrell, September 20, 1849 for $1500. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36156/
- [Bill of sale for the slave "Joe" to William Murrell by D.S. Wade, May 15, 1854]
Bill of sale for the slave "Joe" to William Murrell by D.S. Wade, May 15, 1854 for $835. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36155/