You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Language: English
[Engraving of Stephen F. Austin]

[Engraving of Stephen F. Austin]

Date: December 16, 1836
Creator: unknown
Description: Engraved picture of Stephen F. Austin.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Original Platmap of the City of Palestine, TX]

[Original Platmap of the City of Palestine, TX]

Date: 1846
Creator: unknown
Description: In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Palestine to serve as seat for the newly established Anderson County. James R. Fulton, Johnston Shelton and William Bigelow were hired by the first Anderson County commissioners to survey the surrounding land and lay out a town site, consisting of a central courthouse square and the surrounding 24 blocks.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Freedmens First Vote - Anderson County Courthouse]

[Freedmens First Vote - Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: 1869
Creator: unknown
Description: This photo shows the military presence protecting African American's when they came to the Anderson County courthouse to vote for the first time in 1869.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Levi Hurbrough]

[Levi Hurbrough]

Date: 1871
Creator: unknown
Description: Levi Hurbrough served as Palestine’s first Mayor after the civil war, his term running from 1871 until 1872.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Gideon Gooch]

[Gideon Gooch]

Date: 1872
Creator: unknown
Description: Gideon Johnson Gooch was born on April 3, 1844 and served as Mayor of Palestine from 1872 until 1873. He died on January 31, 1906 and is buried in the East Hill Section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Confederate States Loan]

[Confederate States Loan]

Date: July 1872
Creator: unknown
Description: A bond dated July 1872, guaranteeing "the sum of Fifty Dollars with Interest to be paid the the bearer of this bond, at the seat of government or such place of deposit as may be appointed by the Secretary of the Treasury". It has John H. Reagan, Postmaster General of the Confederacy's photograph on it.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[W. M. Lacy]

[W. M. Lacy]

Date: 1873
Creator: unknown
Description: W. M. Lacy served as Mayor of Palestine from 1873 until 1874 and then again from 1887 until 1889.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[S. N. Pickens]

[S. N. Pickens]

Date: 1874
Creator: unknown
Description: S. N. Pickens served as Mayor of Palestine from 1874 until 1878 and then again from 1880 until 1883.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Date: 1875~
Creator: unknown
Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Date: 1875~
Creator: unknown
Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST