You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Decade: 1990-1999
 Language: English
[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[100 W Oak]

[100 W Oak]

Date: c. 1990
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This building is located at the corner of Oak Street and Sycamore in downtown "New Town" Palestine. It once housed the Kolstad Jewelry Store, which operated in Palestine for over 100 years.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[G.E. Dilley Building - 501 W. Main]

[G.E. Dilley Building - 501 W. Main]

Date: 1992
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The Redlands Hotel is a Two-Part Vertical Block building at the northeast corner of N. Queen Street and W. Oak Street in Palestine’s historic district. The hotel, which has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, displays architectural elements indicative of the Renaissance Revival style. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets. The Redlands Hotel is in good condition and has changed only minimally on the exterior since completion in 1914. During the mid-1910’s, the Young Men’s Business League (which later became the Palestine Chamber of Commerce) recognized the need for a downtown hotel that would attract visitors and businesses to downtown Palestine, as well as confirm the city’s growing status as an important regional center of commerce and transportation. The burning of the tree story Commercial Hotel in 1914 intensified the need for a new hotel. Members of the organization formed the Palestine Hotel Company, a consortium of private citizens and financial institutions, to raise funds, purchase suitable land, and oversee construction of the new building. In 1914, the Palestine Hotel Company purchased three downtown lots facing W. Oak at the corner of N. ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Blue House in Palestine]

[Blue House in Palestine]

Date: c. 1990
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: One story blue cottage located in Palestine, Texas
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Anderson County Courthouse]

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The Anderson County Courthouse is the largest historic institutional building in Palestine and arguably the most prominent architectural landmark. Sited atop a hill that overlooks the central business district to the southwest, the courthouse retains its historic integrity and character. The original architects, C.H. Page and Brother incorporated Classical Revival elements in the design, which bears a resemblance to the firm’s courthouse design for Williamson County, Texas. Legislators designated Palestine the county seat of Anderson County in 1846, the year of the county’s creation. This is the county’s fourth courthouse, and the third to be erected on this site. It was designed in 1913-1914 by the noted Austin architectural firm of Charles Page and Brother. B.P. Garvey of Gainesville, Texas, served as the contractor. The building’s formal dedication ceremony was held December 20, 1914. Billy Bean documented the courthouse in his 1980 survey. The building was extensively remodeled in 1986. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 - Building #92001256
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Eilenberger Baker - 512 N. John]

[Eilenberger Baker - 512 N. John]

Date: 1992
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The remodeling for the storefront on this 2-story brick building detracts from the property’s historic character, but the second floor is relatively unaltered. The structure lacks much stylistic ornamentation, but is a good and mostly intact example of a Two-part Commercial Block building in Palestine’s historic downtown. German immigrant Frederick H. Eilenberger (1878-1959) moved his highly successful American Home Bakery to this site in 1918. Founded in 1898, the bakery was originally located at the corner of John and Oak Streets. Eilenberger sold the business to his two sons and his son-in-law in 1949; the bakery continued to sell baked bread throughout East Texas until 1968. Today the business is known as Eilenberger’s Bakery, and is famous for its fruit and pecan cakes, which it markets worldwide.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Courthouse Square - Palestine]

[Courthouse Square - Palestine]

Date: November 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Photo of the west side of the courthouse square in the old section of Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Mule Barn - Crawford Street - Palestine]

[Mule Barn - Crawford Street - Palestine]

Date: 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Mule Barn located on Crawford Street. This building is actually built on top of Town Creek (AKA Wells Creek), which runs through the town of Palestine. At one time it housed mules, a feed and seed store, an antique store, but now is home of the Wells Creek Saloon.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Date: November 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The old Reagan School is a premier example of Tudor Revival style and is among the city’s most outstanding architectural landmarks. In July 1915 Palestinians voted for a $100,000 bond issue to cover construction costs for this building, which replaced an earlier high school in the city’s business district. Prominent Fort Worth architects Marshall R. Sanguinet and Carl Gordon Staats designed the building, while A.W. Flynt, also of Fort Worth, served as general contractor. Completed in the spring of 1916, the new school was designed for an enrollment of 300 students. From 1939 through 1966 the building served as the city’s junior high school. It was officially renamed the John H. Reagan Junior High School in 1955. From 1966 until 1976 the building housed elementary grades. After that time it was abandoned and stood vacant for several years. In 1981 a local preservation group rehabilitated the school and converted it into a museum. It remains the “Museum for East Texas Culture” today.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST