Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This 2 ½ story frame dwelling, with its 3-story corner tower is one of the better illustrations of the popular Queen Anne style, although changes to the front porch and the addition on the south elevation detract somewhat from the house’s overall historic character and integrity. According to one owner, W.B. Johnson built this house in 1902-03 to plans by architect J.S. Moad. The original occupants were Barney and Lena Pearlstone, who lived her from 1903 until 1905, when Hyman and Mabel Pearlstone acquired the house. Mr. H. Pearlstone, who operated the Pearlstone Grocery at 108 S. Sycamore, resided here with his wife until 1924. The house is also prominently associated with William M. and Auba Hamilton, who owned and occupied the house from 1925 until 1972. During the 1920s Mr. Hamilton was owner and publisher of the Palestine Daily Herald; later, he was the proprietor of W.M. Hamilton & sons, which published several local and regional newspapers.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library