You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Decade: 1870-1879
 Language: English
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: [1878..1955]
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Date: c. 1875
Creator: unknown
Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Date: c. 1875
Creator: unknown
Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Confederate States Loan]

[Confederate States Loan]

Date: July 1872
Creator: unknown
Description: A bond dated July 1872, guaranteeing "the sum of Fifty Dollars with Interest to be paid the the bearer of this bond, at the seat of government or such place of deposit as may be appointed by the Secretary of the Treasury". It has John H. Reagan, Postmaster General of the Confederacy's photograph on it.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Downtown Elkhart]

[Downtown Elkhart]

Date: c. 1870
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of downtown Elkhart made before the town burned down.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
The fall of the Alamo; an historical drama in four acts; concluded by an epilogue entitled, the battle of San Jacinto

The fall of the Alamo; an historical drama in four acts; concluded by an epilogue entitled, the battle of San Jacinto

Date: 1879
Creator: Nona, Francis
Description: A play about the Alamo in four acts, with music.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Gideon Gooch]

[Gideon Gooch]

Date: 1872
Creator: unknown
Description: Gideon Johnson Gooch was born on April 3, 1844 and served as Mayor of Palestine from 1872 until 1873. He died on January 31, 1906 and is buried in the East Hill Section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[A. Joost - Cheap Cash Store - 601 E Lacy]

[A. Joost - Cheap Cash Store - 601 E Lacy]

Date: c. 1875
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photograph of the first building constructed on the courthouse square. It was located where number 601 East Lacy is now located, but it extended over approximately halfway into the lot of the current number 603. This was Alexander Joost's store, known after the Civil War as the "Cheap Cash Store". Joost was an immigrant from France who had an earlier store at Fort Houston. As soon as the site was located for the county seat of the new Anderson County, he bought land there and prepared to moved. He rebuilt after the 1874 fire and again after the 1879 fire. Most of the conflagrations that were destroying entire blocks of the city of Palestine in the 1870s and 1880s were set by an incendiary who was eluding the police. Even though numerous merchants in New Town and Old Town suffered from these fires, Joost took them personally, especially when rumors were spread around town that he was having difficulty maintaining a good stock of merchandise. To combat this, he took out an ad in the Trinity Advocate to let his customers know he was still offering the best merchandise at the best prices. However, when his store ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Levi Hurbrough]

[Levi Hurbrough]

Date: 1871
Creator: unknown
Description: Levi Hurbrough served as Palestine’s first Mayor after the civil war, his term running from 1871 until 1872.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Main Street - Elkhart]

[Main Street - Elkhart]

Date: c. 1870
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of Main Street, Elkhart.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST