Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Description: Photograph of 14 W. Dallas taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. Most of the city’s modified L-plan houses have Queen Anne-style features; however, this modest dwelling has a wrap-around porch with Doric columns that are suggestive of the Classical Revival style. The duplex has changed little since its construction and remains a good example of a vernacular house of the early 20th century. According to city directories, this houses were occupied by a rapid succession of renters during their early years. Some of these included G.S. Bryant, a superintendent at the Palestine Oil Mill Fertilizer Company, and his wife Sallie, in 1926; Webster H. and Ola Connor in 1935; and C.B. Blanakin, a brakeman for Missouri Pacific, and his wife Beatrice, in 1941.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library