Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Description: Photograph of 318 S. Sycamore taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. Fire severely damaged the building at the time it was initially identified in December 1989. This house nonetheless retained some of its Victorian Italianate detailing, including the 1-story bay window. According to a local historian, John Randolph Hearne and his wife Albina Reagan Hearn, a niece of John H. Reagan, began building this house around 1877. Mr. Hearne, for whom the town of Hearne, Texas, is named, was a druggist and prominent civic leader. Later owners/occupants of the house included the family of Nathaniel Wyche Hunter, Anderson County pioneers. Mr. Hunter was at one time the Grand Commander of the Knights Templar of Texas. A descendant, Mary Kate Hunter, occupied the house during the 1920s through at least the 1940s. A historian, musician, and suffragette, she was the first woman in Texas to make a lecture tour for women’s suffrage. She also founded the first local historical society, and left behind invaluable personal archives detailing the early history of Palestine and Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library