Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Description: Photograph of 101 W. Main taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. Most of Palestine’s historic commercial buildings have been severely altered, but this 2-story structure retains much of its historic character. Ground floor changes detract from the property’s integrity. Noteworthy architectural features include the corbelled brickwork above the second floor windows and in the parapet. The history of this commercial building is difficult to trace, due to address changes. The building, which Sanborn maps show was constructed in 1896, was believed to have been originally known as 202 Main. The first occupant confirmed by city directories was the T. Fadell Dry Goods Store, which occupied this building as early as 1926. Earlier, according to the Sanborns, the building had housed a drugstore and a hardware store. Prior to this building’s construction, the lot had been the site of the 2-story frame Watson Hotel. Mr. Fadell and his wife Addie lived nearby at 507 N. Queen. Their shop continued to operate at this location through the early 1940s.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library