Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Description: Photograph of 100 S. Sycamore taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library