You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[100 W Oak]

[100 W Oak]

Date: c. 1990
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This building is located at the corner of Oak Street and Sycamore in downtown "New Town" Palestine. It once housed the Kolstad Jewelry Store, which operated in Palestine for over 100 years.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[116 N. Sycamore - Colley Wright Building]

[116 N. Sycamore - Colley Wright Building]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the Colley Wright building, that once sat at the east side of the intersection of Spring street at Sycamore. This building was removed when Spring Street was widened and extended down to Crockett Road.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[201 E. Kolstad]

[201 E. Kolstad]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This house is a noteworthy example of the Queen Anne style. The corner tower, with its conical roof, is perhaps the single most distinctive architectural element. The earliest known occupant of this house was James E. Copeland and his wife Trudie Ezell, who lived here from as early as 1902 through at least 1936. At that time, Mr. Copeland was the proprietor of the Copeland Jewelry Store, located downtown at 301 W. Oak. Mr. Copeland was also the official time keeper for the railroad. By 1937 the house was owned and occupied by L.J. Bilberry, a son-in-law of the Copelands, and by the early 1940s the house was vacant.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[202 W. Reagan - Grant House]

[202 W. Reagan - Grant House]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Two story house known locally as the "Grant House", which was built before 1900.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[202 W. Reagan - Grant House]

[202 W. Reagan - Grant House]

Date: c. 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: Two story house known locally as the "Grant House", which was built before 1900.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[210 Crawford - J.H. Silliman Home]

[210 Crawford - J.H. Silliman Home]

Date: c. 1898
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the J.H. Silliman Home, located at 210 Crawford. A Mississippi native, J.H. Silliman was the proprietor of Silliman and Company – a Palestine business founded in 1871, and one of the largest hardware stores in the region. Silliman married Laura Brook, the architect’James Frith Brook's, daughter, in 1920. The family later moved to 638 S. Magnolia.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[212 S. Magnolia]

[212 S. Magnolia]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The 200 block of S. Sycamore is a densely developed residential area containing a significant concentration of 2-story frame houses erected in the 19th century. This house is noteworthy because it survives as a good and relatively intact historic dwelling in this neighborhood. The house has a 2-story porch with ornate jigsawn trim. This house was originally known as 107 Magnolia. The house was built for District Judge William H. Gill in 1893, who lived here until December 1903, when the property was purchased by Mrs. Lula K. Kestler. City directories, however, note that, by 1926, the house was owned and occupied by D.W. and Lula K. Gillespie (perhaps the same woman), and that by 1933 her husband had died and Mrs. Gillespie lived here alone. Directories further reveal that John L. Johnson, an oil field worker, and his wife Lillie lived here during the early 1940s. Katherine L. Mead, acquired the property in 1959, but the property has since changed hands once again.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[216 S. Magnolia]

[216 S. Magnolia]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This is a two story house located at 216 S. Magnolia, Palestine, Texas. It was built in the late 1800's. It is located almost directly across the street from the Bailey-Foster Funeral Home.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, including a gazebo near the back of the house and a fountain in the front of the yard.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST