Date: c. 1940
Description: In contrast to the asymmetrical forms and eclectic character of many houses of the Victorian era, residences of the 1900s and 1910s typically had more balanced and orderly exteriors. This 2-story frame house provides a vivid illustration of this trend in residential architectural history. The property is virtually unaltered, with its historic character and integrity largely intact. This house was originally built as a small one-story dwelling in the 1870s by Albert A. Joost, the son of Palestine’s first merchant. Tennessee-native James Wisdom Ozment (1842-1918) bought the house about 1910 and hired builder William Kraus to move the original structure back from the street and substantially enlarge it into a grand two-story dwelling with a classical façade. Ozment was an extremely important figure in mid and late 19th century Palestine: a member of the first city council, he was instrumental in helping restore power to local citizens in the aftermath of the Civ8il War and the occupation of Palestine by the carpetbaggers. He was the first president of Palestine National Bank, which opened in 1890. Ozment operated a dry goods store on the courthouse square and had substantial real estate holdings; in addition, he expanded the city’s first telephone service ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library