Date: c. 1880
Description: Engraving of the International Hotel, which was once located at 313 Spring Street, Palestine. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built on this site, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill Hotel was built here. After many years of use, the hotel was sold a number of times. Despite halfhearted attempts to restore it, the condition of the building went downhill. It was demolished in August 1983 and the property is remains vacant today.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library