You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Decade: 1930-1939
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Apple Growers and the Apple Shed]

[Apple Growers and the Apple Shed]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Two Photos of unidentified Apple Farmers and the Apple Shed.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Avenue A - Palestine]

[Avenue A - Palestine]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of Aveune A from what appears to be the top of courthouse looking west.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Palestine's O'Neill Hotel was located at 313 Spring Street but was actually the third hotel to sit on the site. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built there, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill, maiden surname of Burkitt's Irish born mother, was constructed on the site. The O'Neill boasted not only hot and cold running water in its guest rooms, it was also equipped with an electric Otis elevator and a radio receiving set on the mezzanine for entertainment of the hotel's guests. When Texas Gov. Ross Sterling declared martial law in the East Texas Oil Fields and ordered the National Guard to take it over and shut-in all wells, the O'Neill became the staging center where the command ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[International and Great Northern Train]

[International and Great Northern Train]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: I&GN Train at the Palestine Depot.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[McKnight Plaza - Palestine]

[McKnight Plaza - Palestine]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of McKnight Plaza taken during the 1930s. This business district was the primary area for businesses owned and operated by African-Americans in Palestine, and was located in the 100 block of Avenue A, on the south side of the street next to what is now United Realty (the former First National Bank Building). The building was demolished in 1945.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Palestine Airport]

[Palestine Airport]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the hangers at the Palestine Airport.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[St. Phillips Episcopal Church - 106 E. Crawford]

[St. Phillips Episcopal Church - 106 E. Crawford]

Date: 1930~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the St. Phillips Episcopal church, which was built c. 1870 on the corner of Crawford and Sycamore Streets in Palestine. It was moved across Sycamore Street about 1909, which is where it sits today. This is more how it appears today than in the past.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Sycamore Trees on S. Sycamore Street]

[Sycamore Trees on S. Sycamore Street]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of a postcard showing the Sycamore trees that once lined S. Sycamore street in Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST