You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Decade: 1950-1959
[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees. One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: This 2-story dwelling is an excellent illustration of the Georgian Revival style, an early 20th century architectural form rarely found in Palestine. This house is further distinguished by its load-bearing walls, which are a contrast to the prevailing wood-frame construction used on most domestic buildings in Palestine. Noted architect and New Jersey-native James Frith Brook (who was responsible for numerous Palestine buildings, including the Redlands Hotel), designed this house for Dr. J. Calvin Silliman in 1911. C.S. Maffitt was the contractor, but some also believe that he was the architect, instead of Mr. Brook. The story goes that the foundation for the house was installed and had to stand for several months before construction on the dwelling could begin. The outside brick walls were constructed first and then the inside studs and walls were built. The carriage house, located in back, dates back to the first owners of the lot, a Dr. Swinney, whose home was moved to allow for the building of this home. Silliman sold the house to his cousin, John H. Silliman in 1915, when he moved his family to California. A Mississippi native, J.H. Silliman was the proprietor of Silliman and Company – a Palestine business ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front. The foreground of this image is blurred, obscuring part of the house.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Aerial View of Palestine]

[Aerial View of Palestine]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Aerial view of Palestine looking west.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Ambulance from the Hassell Foster Funeral Home]

[Ambulance from the Hassell Foster Funeral Home]

Date: c. 1953
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of an ambulance owned by the Hassell Foster Funeral Home.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Ambulance from the Hassell Foster Funeral Home]

[Ambulance from the Hassell Foster Funeral Home]

Date: c. 1953
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of an ambulance owned by the Hassell Foster Funeral Home.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photo of the Anderson County Campground. There is a Texas Historical Commission Marker at the site, which was dedicated on September 6, 1981. That same day a National Register of Historic Places designation was also given to the site. Commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor, Anderson Campground has a long and well known history. During the 1850's, the nearby area was settled with families, most of whom had come from a place called Brushy Creek, which was in Anderson County, South Carolina. By the 1870's a religious campground was constructed, with water provided from a nearby Artesian spring. Families came and stayed for days, bringing their own food, bedding, and supplies. Sermons were preached several times a day. Religious camp meetings were popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's, although there are few visible signs remaining. This arbor is one of the few that has survived intact for over 130 years. Both the church associated with it, Brushy Creek United Methodist, and the arbor itself have changed very little. The total area covers 5.6 acres. Although the last camp meetings were held in the 1930's, the arbor continued to be used for weeklong summer revivals into ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST