You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 County: Anderson County, TX
[900 Block N. Sycamore]

[900 Block N. Sycamore]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photograph of the 900 block of North Sycamore street in Palestine, Texas, taken from the intersection of Kolstad and N. Sycamore streets, facing north. The address for the large white house (on the left side of the picture) is 901 N. Sycamore and the one next to it is 911 S. Sycamore.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[100 Block W. Kolstad]

[100 Block W. Kolstad]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photo of the 100 block of W. Kolstad. Houses from the left to right are 119, 117, and 115 W. Kolstad.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[800 Block N. Fowler]

[800 Block N. Fowler]

Date: February 1989
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: This photo was taken fro the intersection of E. Kolstad and Fowler streets in the northern section of Palestine. The camera is looking north up Fowler street. The address of the houses shown are (from left to right) 115 E. Kolstad, 805 N. Fowler and 807 N. Fowler.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[925 N. Link - Edwin W. and Eva Link House]

[925 N. Link - Edwin W. and Eva Link House]

Date: March 1991
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: Photograph of the southeast corner of the "Edwin and Eva Link House," located at 925 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. This photo was taken from the street, looking up the front walk toward the house; the front yard is open and there are planters near the start and end of the front walk as well as large trees on either side of the house.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photograph of the front and west side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[209-211 W. Kolstad - Grace Methodist Church]

[209-211 W. Kolstad - Grace Methodist Church]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story brick building located at 301 W. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has Classical Revival features; the most notable architectural element is the elliptical archway in the brickwork façade. There are two sets of stairs leading to the front entrance and the sign over the doors says "Grace United Methodist Church."
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1101 N. Cedar - Alamo School]

[1101 N. Cedar - Alamo School]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the Palestine Public Library (previously the Alamo School), a two-story brick building located at 1101 N. Cedar in Palestine, Texas. There are brick accents around the windows and some other points. Several cars are parked in the parking lot and part of a second building is partially visible on the left.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[921 N. Perry - McReynolds House]

[921 N. Perry - McReynolds House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: In its present configuration, the McClure-McReynolds-fowler House has a U-shaped plan; however, it originally was a center-passage dwelling similar to the George & Cornelia Howard House at 1101 N. Perry. Additions during the late 19th century changed the overall appearance and reflect the property’s architectural evolution. The house retains its historic character and integrity and is among the most significant examples of vernacular architecture in the city. Tennessee-native Judge Alexander Ewing McClure (1815-1870) built this house in 1849. After arriving in Texas in 1840 and residing for several years in Fort Houston, Judge McClure moved to Palestine, becoming the first district clerk for Anderson County, co-owner of the “Trinity Advocate” (the region’s first newspaper), and one of the area’s most prominent lawyers. Zachariah Aycock McReynolds (1846-1928), a native of Georgia and a Confederate veteran, purchased the house in 1884. He held several local elected offices during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, including district clerk, county clerk, county judge, tax collector, and postmaster. He remodeled this house around 1890, reusing the original timber. In 1934 Colonel Godfrey Rees Fowler (1876-1958) retired to this house with his wife, Ella Sue McReynolds (Z.A. McReynold’s daughter). A grandson of John H. Reagan, ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST