Date: February 1992
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This house, located at 805 S. Sycamore Street, was once the home to George Edward Dilley and family, owners of the Dilley Foundry. Mr. Dilley and his father, George Mansfield Dilley established the Lone Star Iron & Brass Works, which was renamed the George M. Dilley & Son Foundry in 1873. The house was finished in late August 1880 and is located on S. Sycamore Street, which was once referred to as 'Silk Stocking Road'. Mr. Dilley was a bachelor when the house was finished, but evidentially he built it for his future bride. He was married to Mae Shepherd on February 10, 1881, and they resided in the house until her unexpected death from pneumonia on 19 January 1883, which occurred while he was out of town on business. He married Lucy Van Deursen on 10 June 1884 and they had two children, Edna May Dilley and Clarence Van Deursen Dilley. After his father’s death in 1910, George Edward changed the name of the foundry to Geo. E. Dilley and Son to include his son Clarence. Three generations of Dilley men operated the Dilley Foundry from the beginning until it closed about 1940. The house has a mansard roof ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library