This system will be undergoing maintenance Tuesday, May 5, 2015 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM CDT.

  You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Resource Type: Photograph
[Tobacco Plants in a Growers Shed]

[Tobacco Plants in a Growers Shed]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of some Tobacco plants inside a growers shed in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[House at 1248 S. Royall]

[House at 1248 S. Royall]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, Four Square-style frame house located at 1248 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a wrap-around porch with double columns on red-brick piers. A tree is in the foreground, to the right of the front walk.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for the "William and Caroline Broyles House" outside the front entrance. Text: A native of Huntsville, Alabama, William Broyles came to Texas following the Civil War. Traveling by boat to Shreveport, Louisiana, he continued his journey to Texas on foot, finally settling in Palestine. Broyles worked as a carpenter and later opened a mercantile store near the Anderson County courthouse. Following the arrival of the railroad and the subsequent relocation of the town, he opened the first store in the new townsite. In 1878 he established a lumber business which eventually included a lumberyard, saw mill, and cabinet shop. A real estate investor as well as merchant, Broyles played an important role in the economic development of Palestine. He had this home built for his wife, Caroline, in 1895. Designed by local architect Luther McKlemurry, the home is a fine example of 19th-century eclecticism, exhibiting influences of Italianate, Queen Anne, and Second Empire styles. Outstanding features include its tower, roof cresting, and fine milled woodwork crafted by workers at Broyles' lumber company. Landscaping originally surrounding the home included elaborate flower gardens and an adjacent pecan orchard.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1211 S. Sycamore]

[1211 S. Sycamore]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story house with blue accents, located at 1211 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including an angled, two-story tower on the northwest corner.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1103 S. Sycamore]

[1103 S. Sycamore]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front and side of a white, one-story house located at 1103 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has a green roof and Queen Anne-style details, including Doric-like columns along the porch, and the front gable end with jigsawn bargeboard, turned pedant, and shingled siding.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[House at 408 S. Sycamore]

[House at 408 S. Sycamore]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front and part of the south side of a blue, one-story frame house with white accents, located at 408 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. The house has some Queen Anne-style details, including cut-away corners on the side bay and decorative woodwork around the front porch; it also has stained-glass windows in the upper, dormer window. Part of a neighboring house and a stone fence are visible on the right of the image.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[716 S. Sycamore]

[716 S. Sycamore]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of a yellow, two-story, Victorian-style house with a wrap-around porch located at 716 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Cunningham House]

[Cunningham House]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, Victorian-style house painted yellow with white trim, located in Palestine, Texas. It was once occupied by the Cunningham Family.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Historical Marker: Palestine High School]

[Historical Marker: Palestine High School]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Palestine High School in Palestine, Texas. Text: A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government, the first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the institute site on Avenue A. In 1915 voters passed a $100,000 bond issue for a new high school. The city council chose this site in newly created, 22-acre Reagan Park for the campus. Fort Worth architects Sanguinet & Staats were chosen for the design, which features Tudor Gothic -- or Jacobethan -- detail in brick, limestone, and occasional tile panels. The 2-story structure, on a raised basement, is framed with reinforced concrete, allowing ample window space for air and light. The original plan included eight lecture rooms, a library, a gymnasium, laboratories, and an auditorium. A principal and 10 teachers comprised the first faculty, and the first graduating class in 1917 contained 38 students. This building became a junior high in 1939, and was named in 1955 for John Henninger Reagan (1818-1905), Texas statesman and Palestine resident. Elementary grades were assigned here from 1966 to ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of the Reagan School located at 400 S. Michaux in Palestine, Texas. The three-story brick building has Tudor Revival-style architectural features and served as a school for various grades between 1916 and 1976, later becoming a museum.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST