You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1211 S. Sycamore]

[1211 S. Sycamore]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The residential neighborhood south of the historic downtown contains numerous late 19th and 20th century houses; however, this two-story frame dwelling is one of the best preserved. It displays elements associated with the Queen Anne style, most notably the angled two-story tower at the northeast corner. Contractor J.G. Winston built this house (the second on the site) for Oscar J. and Mattie Dugey in 1904. A Louisiana native, Mr. Dugey operated a sample store, and also was one of the founders of the Palestine Salt and Coal Company. From 1909 until 1930, the house served as the parsonage for the First Presbyterian Church; the Reverend J.C. Oehler was minister at that time, and he lived here with his wife Sarah. William L. and Martha Hoover owned and occupied the house from 1930-1941. William A. Morgan, a lineman for the Texas Power and Light Company, and his wife Winnie lived here from 1941 until 1945.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1103 S. Sycamore]

[1103 S. Sycamore]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: House located at 1103 S. Sycamore - Palestine
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Unidentified House - Palestine]

[Unidentified House - Palestine]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Photo of an unidentified house located in Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[716 S. Sycamore]

[716 S. Sycamore]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This house is located at 716 S. Sycamore. It is a large two story victorian.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Cummingham House]

[Cummingham House]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This two story victorian style house was once occupied by the Cunningham Family.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Historical Marker - Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

[Historical Marker - Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The old Reagan School is a premier example of Tudor Revival style and is among the city’s most outstanding architectural landmarks. In July 1915 Palestinians voted for a $100,000 bond issue to cover construction costs for this building, which replaced an earlier high school in the city’s business district. Prominent Fort Worth architects Marshall R. Sanguinet and Carl Gordon Staats designed the building, while A.W. Flynt, also of Fort Worth, served as general contractor. Completed in the spring of 1916, the new school was designed for an enrollment of 300 students. From 1939 through 1966 the building served as the city’s junior high school. It was officially renamed the John H. Reagan Junior High School in 1955. From 1966 until 1976 the building housed elementary grades. After that time it was abandoned and stood vacant for several years. In 1981 a local preservation group rehabilitated the school and converted it into a museum. It remains the “Museum for East Texas Culture” today.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The old Reagan School is a premier example of Tudor Revival style and is among the city’s most outstanding architectural landmarks. In July 1915 Palestinians voted for a $100,000 bond issue to cover construction costs for this building, which replaced an earlier high school in the city’s business district. Prominent Fort Worth architects Marshall R. Sanguinet and Carl Gordon Staats designed the building, while A.W. Flynt, also of Fort Worth, served as general contractor. Completed in the spring of 1916, the new school was designed for an enrollment of 300 students. From 1939 through 1966 the building served as the city’s junior high school. It was officially renamed the John H. Reagan Junior High School in 1955. From 1966 until 1976 the building housed elementary grades. After that time it was abandoned and stood vacant for several years. In 1981 a local preservation group rehabilitated the school and converted it into a museum. It remains the “Museum for East Texas Culture” today.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Dilley Foundry Office Bldg - 601 S. May]

[Dilley Foundry Office Bldg - 601 S. May]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the south side of the Dilley Foundry Office Building, located at 601 S. May in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story frame building, resembling a center-passage house There is a porch running the length of the south side of the house that has decorative jigsawn woodwork.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[814 S. Sycamore - Campbell - Pennybacker House]

[814 S. Sycamore - Campbell - Pennybacker House]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Pennybacker Campbell House," a 2 ½-story, white, frame, Queen Anne-style house located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Close-up photograph of the historic marker for the Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. Text: "Silk Stocking Row" Victorian residence built in 1890. Noted as family home of Mrs. Percy V. Pennybacker (1861-1938), teacher, author of widely-used school History of Texas, first Texan president General Federation Women's Clubs. Purchased 1900 by Thomas M. Campbell (1856-1923), famous lawyer, banker, governor of Texas in 1907-1911. Enlarged by Gov. Campbell, house is now property of great-grandson, Drew Wommack, Jr. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library