You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. This photo was taken from the street, looking up the front walk toward the house; the front yard is open and there are planters near the start and end of the front walk as well as large trees on either side of the house.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[839 N. Tennessee]

[839 N. Tennessee]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: Photograph of a one-story, white, L-plan frame house located at 839 N. Tennessee in Palestine, Texas. It has a large bay window on the left side of the house and Queen Ann-style embellishments along the roofline and the porch.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[920 W. Swanitz - Lincoln School]

[920 W. Swanitz - Lincoln School]

Date: April 1991
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Lincoln School" located at 920 W. Swanitz in Palestine, Texas, taken from the northwest corner. It is a two-story brick building that served as a school for African-American students from 1923 until integration in Palestine during 1965. This building was demolished after a 1999 fire. A sign on the corner says: "Anderson County Community Council community Center, 723-5101, Our One Constant: Service to Humanity."
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[921 N. Perry - McReynolds House]

[921 N. Perry - McReynolds House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: In its present configuration, the McClure-McReynolds-fowler House has a U-shaped plan; however, it originally was a center-passage dwelling similar to the George & Cornelia Howard House at 1101 N. Perry. Additions during the late 19th century changed the overall appearance and reflect the property’s architectural evolution. The house retains its historic character and integrity and is among the most significant examples of vernacular architecture in the city. Tennessee-native Judge Alexander Ewing McClure (1815-1870) built this house in 1849. After arriving in Texas in 1840 and residing for several years in Fort Houston, Judge McClure moved to Palestine, becoming the first district clerk for Anderson County, co-owner of the “Trinity Advocate” (the region’s first newspaper), and one of the area’s most prominent lawyers. Zachariah Aycock McReynolds (1846-1928), a native of Georgia and a Confederate veteran, purchased the house in 1884. He held several local elected offices during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, including district clerk, county clerk, county judge, tax collector, and postmaster. He remodeled this house around 1890, reusing the original timber. In 1934 Colonel Godfrey Rees Fowler (1876-1958) retired to this house with his wife, Ella Sue McReynolds (Z.A. McReynold’s daughter). A grandson of John H. Reagan, ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[925 N. Link - Edwin W. and Eva Link House]

[925 N. Link - Edwin W. and Eva Link House]

Date: March 1991
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: Photograph of the southeast corner of the "Edwin and Eva Link House," located at 925 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Major Alfred Morris Jr.]

[Major Alfred Morris Jr.]

Date: December 1945
Creator: Forward, George L.
Description: Taken by Lt. Geo. L. Forward of Texarkana, Ark. at the Liba Staging area, Philippines, December 1945, of Maj. Alfred Morris, Jr. sun bathing. From the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Kenneth Gordon Linesey]

[Kenneth Gordon Linesey]

Date: unknown
Creator: Frenette Studio
Description: Photograph of Kenneth Gordon Linesey (not sure of the spelling of the last name) Age 5 years. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
Charter and Digest of the General Ordinances (Civil and Criminal), of the City of Palestine, Rules of City Council, etc.

Charter and Digest of the General Ordinances (Civil and Criminal), of the City of Palestine, Rules of City Council, etc.

Date: 1904
Creator: Gardner, B. S. & Campbell, W. C.
Description: "General Laws of Eighteen Hundred and Ninety-Five, and Subsequent Enactments, Up to Date, Regulating Incorporation of Cities and Towns" (from page 3).
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Unidentified Woman]

[Unidentified Woman]

Date: unknown
Creator: Giddings Studio
Description: Photo of Unidentified Woman - Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library