You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[Freedmens First Vote - Anderson County Courthouse]

[Freedmens First Vote - Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: 1869
Creator: unknown
Description: This photo shows the military presence protecting African American's when they came to the Anderson County courthouse to vote for the first time in 1869.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Date: 1875~
Creator: unknown
Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Date: 1875~
Creator: unknown
Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Spring Street - Palestine]

[Spring Street - Palestine]

Date: 1879~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of Spring Street in Palestine with a view of the railroad tracks and a wooden depot.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring Str & N. Sycamore]

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring Str & N. Sycamore]

Date: 1880~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a two-story building complex at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets in Palestine, Texas. There is a two-story wrap-around porch on the corner; the suites on the left side of the building have entrances only on the first floor. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. There are people standing in the street and around the entrances.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Photo - Drawing of Heards Hotel]

[Photo - Drawing of Heards Hotel]

Date: 1880~
Creator: Briggs, Osjetea
Description: Adjusted photograph of a drawing of Heards Hotel, which was later called the Stern Hotel, Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Side view Firehouse #1, Palestine Fire Department]

[Side view Firehouse #1, Palestine Fire Department]

Date: 1880
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the side of firehouse #1 that housed the Palestine Fire Department, the home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Spring Street - Palestine]

[Spring Street - Palestine]

Date: 1880~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of an Spring Street (once Front Street) in Palestine, Texas. Railroad tracks are visible, as well as the original wooden depot.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Letter written on stationery from the International Hotel - Palestine]

[Letter written on stationery from the International Hotel - Palestine]

Date: August 21, 1881
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of a letter written on letterhead from the International Hotel, which was once located on Spring Street in Palestine. This hotel later became the O'Neill Hotel.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: 1885 - 1916
Creator: unknown
Description: In 1885, Palestine, like most of the country, was in the midst of a depression, complicated by a series of railroad strikes, so there was little new construction. However, Anderson County had to have a new courthouse because the old one was literally falling down. And they were determined to have the finest and most up-to-date building that could be constructed. The Architect that was hired was William C. Dodson of Waco and building commenced in June of 1885 after demolition was completed on the old building. It was completed in May 1886 at a cost of $40,000 and was indeed impressive looking with it's tall three story dome and clocktower. The life of the building was cut short when a couple of incendiaries set fire to it on the night of January 6, 1913, in order to destroy evidence against one of them. The plan failed because the actual court records were housed in fireproof rooms, which were not damaged.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST