You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[616 S. Sycamore]

[616 S. Sycamore]

Date: 2000~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front of a 1 ½-story Tudor Revival-style house located at 616 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive characteristics on this house include the cross-gabled roof, decorative half-timbered woodwork in gable ends, and windows with small diamond-shaped panes of glass.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[House in Palestine]

[House in Palestine]

Date: November 1992
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: One story house with white trim located somewhere in Palestine, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, including a gazebo near the back of the house and a fountain in the front of the yard.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, including a gazebo near the back of the house and a fountain in the front of the yard.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[601 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone / Maier House]

[601 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone / Maier House]

Date: February 1992
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The residential neighborhood south of the city’s historic downtown contains many late 19th and early 20th century houses; however, a substantial number of 1920s dwellings were built as infill. Most of the residences of this later period are relatively small frame bungalows. This house deviates from the pattern because of its scale, materials, and design. The 2-story house with brick veneer is also one of the city’s few examples of the Spanish colonial Revival style. Few alterations detract from its historic character, and the building retains much of its integrity. German immigrant Solomon Maier and his Texas-born wife Lucy had this house built in the mid-1920s. Mr. Maier came to Palestine in 1882; his various endeavors included operating a wholesale tobacco company, a saloon, and working at a bank. He was vice-president, and later the second president of the Palestine Salt & Coal Company, which mined half a million tons of salt and 25,000 tons of lignite west of Palestine during the first half of this century. After her husband’s death, Mrs. Maier continued to live in the house through the 1940s. Mr. and Mrs. Lamar Hamilton were later owners of the house. Mr. Hamilton was a son of the ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[611 S. Sycamore]

[611 S. Sycamore]

Date: February 1992
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This 2-story frame dwelling represents the kind of late 19th and early 20th century houses that prevail in the neighborhood south of Palestine’s historic downtown. Alterations on the porch and the placement of synthetic siding over the original exterior finish diminish the building’s historic character. According to one owner, D.J. and Lillian Price had this house built in 1890, and they continued to live here through the early 1930s. Mr. Price was a general passenger agent for the I&GN Railroad. By 1935 the house was occupied by renter Henry B. Bovy, a timekeeper for Missouri Pacific. Later, during the early 1940s, renters William S. and Ina V. White lived here. Mr. White was a salesman for the Texas Power & Light Company.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[715 S. Magnolia]

[715 S. Magnolia]

Date: February 1992
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of 715 S. Magnolia taken from the road. One of the most popular building types in Palestine is the modified L-plan house. This dwelling is a good example. With its distinctive hipped roof and gabled extensions, the house displays some Queen Anne and Classical Revival architectural embellishments. The use of shingles in the gable ends and the dormer are indicative of the Queen Anne style, while the small Doric-like columns and simple balustrade on the porch reflect an influence of the Classical Revival style. In good condition and with few alterations, the house retains its integrity to a high degree. Prominent local architect John S. Moad designed this house in 1902 for James A. and Mathilda Caldwell. Mr. Caldwell was the chief dispatcher for the I&GN Railroad. Later owners included E.M. Burrell, owner of Murrell’s Variety Store (located at 115 W. Main), and his wife Odis, who lived here during the mid-1920s. From as early as 1935 through at least 1941, the house was owned and occupied by Walter S. and Ellen Miller.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[717 S. Sycamore]

[717 S. Sycamore]

Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front and part of the south side of a two-story frame house located in 717 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style details on the porch woodwoork and gable ends with Italianate-style influences (including round-arched upper sashes on the second floor windows, and pedimented architraves).
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[805 S. Sycamore - George Edward Dilley House]

[805 S. Sycamore - George Edward Dilley House]

Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the northeast corner of the "George Edward Dilley House" located at 805 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. The two-story house is painted white and has decorative woodwork around the front porch, as well as a mansard roof and a widow's walk with cast iron handrails. There is a decorative metal fence enclosing the yard.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST