You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Resource Type: Photograph
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: This house is one of three grand residences on the north side of Hodges Street and is among the finest local illustrations of the Queen Anne style. The corner tower with its conical roof dominates the façade, which has a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. The property retains its integrity to a remarkable degree and it remains a prominent local landmark. Born in Robertson County, Texas, John Randolph Hearne (1854-1930) moved to Palestine in 1876 after attending college in Virginia. An active local businessman, Hearne operated retail drug stores in both Palestine and Dallas, and helped organize (and served as president of) the Palestine National Bank. Hearne’s parents invested heavily in real estate along the Brazos River; the town of Hearne is named after the family, which donated the acreage upon which that town now stands. This house was built in 1896 on land given to Hearne as a wedding present by Colonel George R. Howard, when Hearne married Howard’s daughter Emma in 1883. Howard himself lived nearby at 1011 N. Perry. Hearne personally selected the pine and oak lumber used in the house’s construction; the red brick veneer was added in 1902. Prominent San Antonio (?) architect Luther McKlemurry ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[511 Royall - Reagan / Ferguson House]

[511 Royall - Reagan / Ferguson House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: This modest, center-passage dwelling presents another good illustration of how many late 19th century homeowners applied stylistic ornamentation to a vernacular house form. This 1-story frame residence has a front-facing gable extension and porch with turned-wood columns and jigsawn brackets, all of which are suggestive of the Queen Anne style. Rear additions are not only relatively unobtrusive to the building’s original appearance, but they also reflect the property’s physical evolution and are important architectural features. John H. Reagan built this house in the 1880s for his daughter, Bettie Reagan Ferguson, and his son-in-law, Alexander Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson was postmaster of Palestine from 1886-1890. The dwelling was later the home of the couple’s daughter, Bess Ferguson, who taught in the Palestine schools and was a librarian at the Palestine Public Library.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: When originally built, this house was one of three imposing Queen Anne-style residences on the north side of Hodges Street. Although the others have been left unaltered, this dwelling was changed substantially in the early 20th century when the pedimented portico was added to the front. This alteration changed the character of the property by imposing order and balance to an otherwise asymmetrical composition. In this regard, the property is similar to the Henry and Hypatia Link House at 1003 N. Link. This property was the site of the house of Judge James Perry, a lawyer and one of the area’s earliest settlers, who built his log cabin here around 1845. Prominent local businessman Adolphus Benson Hodges (1858-1913) built the extant house, known as “Elmwood”, in 1910-11; it was completed shortly before his death. The building was designed by James F. Brook. Along with his brother, Daniel, Hodges operated a chain of mercantile stores throughout Texas. In addition to their Palestine store, which was located in the still-extant building at the northwest corner of W. Oak and N. Magnolia, they had stores in Marlin, Cuero, Orange and Port Arthur. Hodges’ wife, Mollie Scarbrough Hodges, continued to live in the house ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: This 2-story dwelling is an excellent illustration of the Georgian Revival style, an early 20th century architectural form rarely found in Palestine. This house is further distinguished by its load-bearing walls, which are a contrast to the prevailing wood-frame construction used on most domestic buildings in Palestine. Noted architect and New Jersey-native James Frith Brook (who was responsible for numerous Palestine buildings, including the Redlands Hotel), designed this house for Dr. J. Calvin Silliman in 1911. C.S. Maffitt was the contractor, but some also believe that he was the architect, instead of Mr. Brook. The story goes that the foundation for the house was installed and had to stand for several months before construction on the dwelling could begin. The outside brick walls were constructed first and then the inside studs and walls were built. The carriage house, located in back, dates back to the first owners of the lot, a Dr. Swinney, whose home was moved to allow for the building of this home. Silliman sold the house to his cousin, John H. Silliman in 1915, when he moved his family to California. A Mississippi native, J.H. Silliman was the proprietor of Silliman and Company – a Palestine business ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[700 Block S. Sycamore]

[700 Block S. Sycamore]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Description: Photograph of the west side of the 700 Block of S. Sycamore from the intersection of S. Sycamore Street and Neches Streets, looking toward the north. The houses in the picture are (from left to right) 717 S. Sycamore and 713 S. Sycamore.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[805 S. Sycamore - George Edward Dilley House]

[805 S. Sycamore - George Edward Dilley House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photograph of the front (east side) of the "George Edward Dilley House" located at 805 S. Sycamore, in Palesine, Texas. The house is two stories and has a wrap-around porch with decorative woodwork, as well as a mansard roof and a widow's walk with cast iron handrails. The yard is enclosed by a decorative metal fence.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[814 S. Sycamore - Pennybacker Campbell House]

[814 S. Sycamore - Pennybacker Campbell House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Pennybacker Campbell House," a 2 ½-story, white, frame, Queen Anne-style house located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[839 N. Tennessee]

[839 N. Tennessee]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: This one-story frame residence is one of Palestine’s premier examples of an L-plan house. Like so many other L-plan houses, this property has Queen Ann-style architectural embellishments, but few other examples have such a high degree of craftsmanship and intricate woodwork. Particularly noteworthy elements include the bay window on the front and the bargeboard in the gable end. Rear additions detract somewhat from the property’s overall historic character, but their relative obscurity from the street minimizes their impact on the structure’s integrity. According to the current owner, this house was built in 1893. The earliest known owners were A.S. Grant, who lived here about 1905, and J.P. and Daisy Branch, who resided here around 1910. Mrs. Lucille K. Noblin owned the house from about 1915-1935, though it is believed she used it as a rental property. She was followed by Mrs. M.K. Helm, who owned the house from the late 1930s until about 1944. Arcala N. Herrington owned the house from 1944 through the 1970s.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[900 Block N. Sycamore]

[900 Block N. Sycamore]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photograph of the 900 block of North Sycamore street in Palestine, Texas, taken from the intersection of Kolstad and N. Sycamore streets, facing north. The address for the large white house (on the left side of the picture) is 901 N. Sycamore and the one next to it is 911 S. Sycamore.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library