Date: February 1992
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This residential neighborhood south of Palestine’s central business district contains many majestic 2-story residences of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This dwelling is an intact and relatively unaltered example. The dominant architectural feature is the front porch with its classically inspired detailing. The low-pitched roof and extended eaves, however, are more indicative of the Prairie School, an architectural movement that was marginally popular in Palestine during the early 20th century. Contractor J.S. Hale built this house in 1904-05 for $2,500. The original owners and occupants were Thomas M. and Laura Sterne Haynes. Mr. Haynes was a local druggist. Later owners included Mrs. J.L. Crain in the mid-1920s; Robert H. Wright, a conductor for Missouri Pacific, and his wife Mattie, in the mid-1930s; and Robert L. Moore, a switchman for Missouri Pacific, and his wife Margaret, in the early 1940s.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library