Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Description: Photograph of 107 E. Kolstad taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. This house is an anomaly among historic residences in Palestine and defies classification. Local contractor John H. Gaught built this house in the early 1910s, to plans by prominent architect James F. Brook. Gaught was responsible for the construction of some of Palestine’s most notable buildings, including the Redlands Hotel. According to deed records, Gaught sold the house to John R. Hearne, Jr., in January 1914. Hearne was a salesman at the Palestine Hardware Company who lived there with his wife, Clara Welborn, until 1945, when W.T. Lively acquired the building. Lively continued to occupy the house through 1971, and was responsible for the building’s rear addition.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library