Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Description: Photograph of 111 W. Spring taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. Alterations have destroyed much of the historic character on the ground floor of this brick commercial building; however, the second story appears to be virtually unchanged since the store’s construction in 1878. Architectural embellishments, such as the segmented-arched hoodmolds, quoins along the side of the front, and the elaborately detailed parapet, present an outstanding example of the Victorian Italianate style. The Hinzie Building is considered the oldest commercial building in downtown Palestine which retains most of its original façade. It was built by real estate dealer Martin Hinzie in 1878. Early tenants included members of the Hinzie family, such as Herbert M. Hinzie, Sr., who was vice-president of the Palestine Title Association and also was a certified public accountant, who had offices here during the mid-1920s. Other tenants included the A. Barro Dry Goods Store during the 1920s; the Pennington Grocery & Market during the mid-1930s; and the J.M. Johnson Jewelry & Music Store during the early 1940s.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library