You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Date: unknown
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The First Presbyterian Church of Palestine was organized November 3, 1849 by Reverend Daniel Baker and Reverend J.N. Becton, home missionaries of The Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. There were 18 charter members and the first minister was Reverend A.M. Becton. For the first few years, the Presbyterian Church shared a place of worship with other groups, but a steady growth in membership made it necessary to build its own church. Consequently, a small brick church was erected on North Church Street. On March 7, 1887, the church bought a lot on Avenue A, and the cornerstone for this sanctuary was laid on July 12, 1888. The architects for the project were Dudley and Dudley, the contractor was G.T. Scott, and the builder was Joseph Frederick Wolff. Mr. Wolff also made the bricks from clay excavated from a pit that later became Spring Park Lake. The sanctuary is of Gothic design, and contains beautiful leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. The ceiling was hand painted by an itinerant German craftsman, and has not been retouched since it was originally done by the artist. The lovely silver spire was added in 1890 by G.T. Scott, contractor, and C.S. Maffitt, builder. On November ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church - Palestine]

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church - Palestine]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The First Presbyterian Church of Palestine was organized November 3, 1849 by Reverend Daniel Baker and Reverend J.N. Becton, home missionaries of The Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. There were 18 charter members and the first minister was Reverend A.M. Becton. For the first few years, the Presbyterian Church shared a place of worship with other groups, but a steady growth in membership made it necessary to build its own church. Consequently, a small brick church was erected on North Church Street. On March 7, 1887, the church bought a lot on Avenue A, and the cornerstone for this sanctuary was laid on July 12, 1888. The architects for the project were Dudley and Dudley, the contractor was G.T. Scott, and the builder was Joseph Frederick Wolff. Mr. Wolff also made the bricks from clay excavated from a pit that later became Spring Park Lake. The sanctuary is of Gothic design, and contains beautiful leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. The ceiling was hand painted by an itinerant German craftsman, and has not been retouched since it was originally done by the artist. The lovely silver spire was added in 1890 by G.T. Scott, contractor, and C.S. Maffitt, builder. On November ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[410 Avenue A - Palestine Daily Herald Building]

[410 Avenue A - Palestine Daily Herald Building]

Date: c. 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: The Palestine Herald building was originally completed during 1924 and housed the newspaper until 1981. As per the January 24, 1925 issue of the Palestine Daily Herald, "It was a 40 x 100' building of fire-proof construction, and modern in every sense of the word. The plant consists of a Goss Comet newspaper press, models 14 and 8 linotypes, pony cylinder, a battery of job presses and all other necessary equipment for an up-to-date newspaper plant and job printing office." The newspaper was moved in 1981 to a building on Elm and Lacy Street and the building was sold to the First Presbyterian Church. The inside of the building was refurbished by the church and has been named the W.B. Robinson Hall.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of a two-story white house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and red brick around the lower level of the house. There is snow on the roof and in the yard.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the south side of a two-story white house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and red brick around the lower level of the house.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Date: 1900~
Creator: unknown
Description: Copy negative of the front of a two-story house located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. There are people on the porch and in the front yard.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[419 S. Royall]

[419 S. Royall]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, white, Queen Anne-style frame house located at 419 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. The most noteworthy features are the tower, which is set at an angle on the southeast corner, and the 2-tiered front porch.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church - Palestine]

[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church - Palestine]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: The Centenary Methodist Church is one of 13 historic religious buildings identified in the survey. With its pointed, arched openings and corner towers, this institutional building is one of the city’s best examples of the Gothic Revival style, especially as interpreted on ecclesiastical buildings. The construction of massive additions on the north side have somewhat compromised the historic character but the building retains sufficient integrity to be recognizable to its period of significance. There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located at 812 N. Mallard, which has since been converted into a private residence. During the early 20th century the original congregation split, with some members establishing this church, the Centenary Methodist Church, and some founding Grace United Methodist Church, located just north of downtown. Locally prominent contractor John H. Gaught constructed the sanctuary of this church in 1910-11. It was renamed the First Methodist Episcopal church by the mid-1920s, and today is known as the First United Methodist church. This photo was taken when the windows could be swiveled open to catch air during the warm months of the year.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[501 S. Magnolia]

[501 S. Magnolia]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Charles Jacobs, a native of Prussia, and his wife Rachel Lucas Jacobs built a small one-story house on this site around 1877, according to local historians. Mr. Jacobs was the proprietor of a local men’s clothing store. Jack T. Harris, the subsequent owner, added a second story around the turn of the century. Later owners of the house included Steven E. Reed, who served as mayor of Palestine from 1931-34 and for whom Palestine’s first airport was named.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[502 N. Queen - Carnegie Building]

[502 N. Queen - Carnegie Building]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the Carnegie Building in Palestine. This was once the home of the Palestine Public Library, but the library has since been moved to 1101 N. Cedar.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library