Dear Portal friends: Do you enjoy having history at your fingertips?
We’ve appreciated your support over the years, and need your help to keep history alive.
Here’s the deal: we’ve received a Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Now it’s time to keep our word and raise matching funds for the Cathy Nelson Hartman Portal to Texas History Endowment.
If even half the people who use the Portal this month give $5, we’d meet our $1.5 million goal immediately!
donations are tax-deductible and support Texas history: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
You limited your search to:
Star of the Republic Museum
Texas History Collection
- Annual Catalogue of Blinn Memorial College, Brenham, Texas, 1901 - 1902, Nineteenth Session.
Catalog listing the courses offered at Blinn Memorial College in 1901-1902, in both English and German. Includes photographs, illustrations, and advertisements in English and German. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33011/
- Biographical sketch of General Mirabeau B. Lamar
Manuscript (reproduction) about Mirabeau B. Lamar, written by Edward Fontaine his personal secretary. Original manuscript dates from 1857. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34958/
- The capitalist, or, The city of Fort Worth : a parody on the Mikado
City of Fort Worth.; Texas Mikado. Fort Worth facts in footnote area of each page of text of play./ Subtitle on cover: The Texas Mikado./ Folded colored map inserted at front./ Advertising matter on leaves before and after numbered pages. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29756/
- Captain Jeff; or, frontier life in Texas with the Texas Rangers
From the title page: "Captain Jeff; or, frontier life in Texas with the Texas Rangers. Some unwritten history and facts in the thrilling experiences of frontier life. The battle and death of Big Foot, the noted Kiowa chief. The mortally wounding and dying confession of "Old Jape." The Comanchie, the most noted and bloodthirsty savages that ever depredated on the frontier of Texas. By one of the Nine, a member of Company "E" Texas Rangers." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33010/
- Chapters from life a tale of "our Baylor."
Stories about nine women who attended the University of Mary-Hardin Baylor.d texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29407/
- A description of Texas, its advantages and resources, with some account of their development, past, present and future
A book describing economic conditions in Texas in the early 1880s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33005/
- Difficulties of a Mexican revenue officer in Texas
Difficulties of a Mexican revenue officer in Texas texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29769/
- Elisabet Ney, Sculptor
Biography about the sculptor, Elisabet Ney. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29406/
- Face to face with the Mexicans: the domestic life, educational, social and business ways, statesmanship and literature, legendary and general history of the Mexican people, as seen and studied by an American woman during seven years of intercourse with them.
Book written by Fanny Chambers Gooch after living in Mexico for several years. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34961/
- Farm Ballads
Collection of poems and lyrics to farm ballads. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29405/
- Flowers and fruits from the wilderness ; or, Thirty-six years in Texas and two winters in Honduras
Account of the growth of the Baptist denomination in Texas. Morrell came to Texas in 1830. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33007/
- Frontier life; or, Scenes and adventures in the South West,
Book about frontier life in the southwest. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33006/
- [Handwritten Register of Marriages in Montgomery County, 1838 - 1840]
Handwritten marriage register for Montgomery County in 1838-1840. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29770/
- Hans Teichmueller; biographical sketch, addresses and letters to his family
Hans Teichmueller biographical sketch, includes addresses and letters to his family. Prepared by his loving wife and daughters. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29783/
- History of Methodism in Texas
Homer S. Thrall's the History of Methodism in Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29782/
- A history of the action of the political and civil authorities and citizens relating to the land office at Nacogdoches, under the jurisdiction of Charles S. Taylor
A history of the action of the political and civil authorities and citizens relating to the land office at Nacogdoches, under the jurisdiction of Charles S. Taylor. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29773/
- History of the expedition of Captains Lewis and Clark, 1804-5-6; reprinted from the edition of 1814, Vol. 2
History of the expedition under the command of Captains Lewis and Clark. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29787/
- Impugnacion al informe del señor general Santa-Anna, y constancias en que se apoyan las ampliaciones de la acusacion del Sr. diputado Gamboa.
Book about Santa Anna. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29768/
- Inception, organization and work of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.
Book about the history of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29772/
- Journal. W.P. Huff, San Felipe de Austin, February 22, 1840
Daily Journal from the William P. Huff store in San Felipe de Austin from 1840 - 1841. Lists expenses and sales, including the names of customers. (Handwritten.) texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29767/
- The Karankawa Indians, The Coast People of Texas.
Book describing the history and customs of the Karankawa Indians. Index starts on page 101. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29754/
- Lands for Sale in Texas. Over 150,000 Acres Carefully Selected and Owned by W.S. Herndon of Tyler, Smith County, Texas
Publication listing land for sale in Texas. Description of tracts in many different counties. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29766/
- Lands in Texas
Description of lands for sale in Texas, focusing on Lawrence in Kaufman County. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29765/
- A letter to the Hon. Henry Clay on the annexation of Texas to the United States.
A letter to the Hon. Henry Clay
on the annexation of Texas to the United States. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29764/
- Life of Col. David Crockett
Life of Col. David Crockett, written by himself. Comprising his early life, hunting adventures, service under General Jackson in the Creek war, electioneerng speeches, career in Congress, triumphamnt tour in the northern states, and service in the Texan war. To which is added, an account of Colonel Crockett's glorious death at the Alamo, while fighting in defence of Texan independence. By the editor. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29780/
- The life, travels, and opinions of Benjamin Lundy; including his journeys to Texas and Mexico, with a sketch of contemporary events, and a notice of the revolution in Hayti
A book describing Benjamin Lundy's travels in Texas and Mexico. Lundy was an important figure in the anti-slavery movement. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33004/
- [Map showing the geographical location of Fort Worth, Tex. and Rail Roads]
Map accompanying the book, The capitalist, or, The city of Fort Worth : a parody on the Mikado. The map shows railroad lines all over the U.S. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29755/
- Memorias para la historia de la guerra de Tejas, Vol. 1
Book about the Texas Revolution. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29784/
- Memorias para la historia de la guerra de Tejas, Vol. 2
Book about the Texas Revolution. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33008/
- Mexico and her military chieftains, from the revolution of Hidalgo to the present time. Comprising sketches of the lives of Hidalgo [and others]
Book about military leaders of Mexico, includes biographical sketches of Hidalgo, Morelos, Iturbide, Santa Anna, Gomez Farias, Bustamente, Paredes, Almonte, Arista, Alaman, Ampudia, Herrera, and De La Vega. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29779/
- The morals of Odd-fellowship : a discourse
"Delivered before the Right Worthy Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at the Annual Communication of that Right Worthy Grand Body, at Ithaca, August, 1853." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29763/
- Les Mystères du Transcontinental et de la Franco-Texan Land Co. Dévoilés
A book covering the background of the Transcontinental and Franco-Texan Land Company from 1870 to 1876. "Paris, aux Bureaux du Conservateur." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29781/
- Plea for the life of the Geological and Mineralogical Survey of Texas, and Review of the charges preferred against Prof. E.T. Dumble, state geologist, for "incompetency, plagiarism and maladministration in office" and the sham trial thereof, and opinions of the press and scientific authorities. Plan of reform suggested
Plea for the life of the Geological and Mineralogical Survey of Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29760/
- Prairiedom: rambles and scrambles in Texas or New Estrémadura
Book about travel in Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33003/
- A preliminary annotated check list of the Cretaceous invertebrate fossils of Texas accompanied by a short description of the lithology and stratigraphy of the system
A book "defining the stratigraphic arrangement and composition of the rocks composing the two Cretaceous series of Texas." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33009/
- Proceedings of the Grand lodge of Texas, from its organization in city of Houston, Dec. A.D. 1837, A.L. 5837, to the close of the grand annual communication held at Palestine, January 19, A.D. 1857, Vol. 1
By A.S. Ruthven ... Compiled from the original records and documents now in possession of Grand lodge, together with the constitutions ... also ... history of the ... Masonic order in Texas. Pub. by authority of M.W. Wm. Stedman, Grandmaster. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29778/
- Proceedings of the Grand lodge of Texas, from its organization in city of Houston, Dec. A.D. 1837, A.L. 5837, to the close of the grand annual communication held at Palestine, January 19, A.D. 1857, Vol. 2
By A.S. Ruthven ... Compiled from the original records and documents now in possession of Grand lodge, together with the constitutions ... also ... history of the ... Masonic order in Texas. Pub. by authority of M.W. Wm. Stedman, Grandmaster. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29777/
- The Public Land System of Texas, 1823-1910.
Book describing the public land system of Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29759/
- R.H. Leetch & Bros. Cash Book, Brazos Santiago
Handwritten cash ledger from the business, R.H. Leetch & Brothers. Brazos Santiago, February 24, 1849. It includes a list of customers and their purchases. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29758/
- R.H. Leetch & Bros. Day Book, Brazos Santiago
Handwritten ledger from the business, R.H. Leetch & Brothers. Brazos Santiago, February 24, 1849. It includes a list of customers and their purchases, which include shoes, clothing, ham, rice, herring, raisins, claret, beef, Madeira, sugar, coffee, castor oil, and other products along with their prices. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29771/
- [Record Book of Conditional Land Grants for Washington County, 1841]
"The following are conditional land certificates issued by the Board of Land Commissioners in & for the County of Washington." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29761/
- Speech of Mr. Clayton, of Delaware
Speech of Mr. Clayton, of Delaware delivered at the Whig mass meeting held in Wilmington on the 15th of June, 1844. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29762/
- Tejas y los Estados-Unidos de América, en sus relaciones con la República Mexicana
Book describing relations between the U.S., Texas, and Mexico, in Spanish. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth31308/
- Ten years in Texas.
Book about Baptist life in Texas by the Baptist minister James Bruton Gambrell. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29776/
- Testimony on the alleged election outrages in Texas
Testimony regarding election problems in Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33012/
- Texas and the Texans; or, Advance of the Anglo-Americans to the South-West; including a history of leading events in Mexico, from the conquest by Fernando Cortes to the termination of the Texan revolution, Vol. 2.
Book covering the history of Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33002/
- Texas: Its Geography, Natural History and Topography
A reprint of the first part of "Texas: the rise, progress, and prospects of the republic of Texas."/ Copy of field notes and journal of A. Le Grand, in charge of party surveying grant to New Arkansas and Texas land company: p. 105-115. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29775/
- A Texas scrap-book : made up of the history, biography, and miscellany of Texas and its people
Book covering four aspects of Texas: history, biography, miscellany, and statistical. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33001/
- Texas, the Lone Star State
Real estate brochure for sale of lands in Montgomery County. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29757/
- Who is W. T. Eldridge?
Pamphlet taking a position against the prison reform ideas of W.T. Eldridge, a businessman who ran the Imperial Sugar Company. The political commentary is addressed to the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor, the Legislative Investigating Committee, and the Members of the Legislature of Texas. It includes several letters, question-and-answer transcripts and other documentation discussing Texas legislation and policies related to prisons. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29774/