Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Historic plaque for the Brownwood Harvey House. "Built in 1914 immediately east of Brownwood Sante Fe railroad depot, this was one of a series of restaurants operated along the Sante Fe line by the Fred Harvey Company, products of railroad agent Fred Harvey's idea to provide superior food and lodging for travelers. The Harvey House was popular from its opening day. The restaurant and hotel closed in 1937, but reopened to serve miliary personnel when Camp Bowie was established in World War II. It closed permanently in 1945 as passenger railroad travel declined in the era of prosperity following the war. Typical of railroad structures built in the southwest during this period by the Atchison, Topeka & Sante Fe Railroad, the structure features elements of Spanish mission revival style with its red tile hipped roof and decorative brackets."
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries