You limited your search to:

  Partner: UNT Libraries
 County: Palo Pinto County, TX
 Collection: Photographing Texas
Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the front of the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, built 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972. It is at least twelve stories tall.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, built 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, built 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972. The building is at least twelve stories tall.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, colonnade

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, colonnade

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the colonnade near the front entrance of the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas. It was built in 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972. The floor is made of red brick, and the walls of slightly lighter brick.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, colonnade

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, colonnade

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the colonnade at the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells. It was built in 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, detail of doorway

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, detail of doorway

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the doorway to the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas. There are double doors in white with glass windows. The door on the left has a sign warning against trespassing. The hotel was built in 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, detail of top floor -  the "Cloud Room"

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, detail of top floor - the "Cloud Room"

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the top floor, called the "Cloud Room", at the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas. There is a balcony around the wall. Several of the windows have been punched out. The hotel was built in 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, flyer for the official website

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, flyer for the official website

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a flier for the official website for the Baker Hotel, in Mineral Wells, Texas. It has been pasted into a window.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic Plaque, Courthouses of Palo Pinto County

Historic Plaque, Courthouses of Palo Pinto County

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque about the courthouses of Palo Pinto County. It reads: "Palo Pinto County was created in 1856 and named for a creek south of here that was perhaps named by Spanish explorers of the Brazos River valley. The county seat of 320 acres was surveyed at its geographical center and was originally named Golconda. A court session in 1857 called for the first courthouse to be built of wood frame construction, with two doors and three windows. The contract was awarded to a bid of $300. Shortly after, in 1859, the town name was changed to Palo Pinto. In 1882, just after the Texas legislature allowed counties to issue bonds for new courthouses, a large sandstone structure was built. It cost $35,000 and exhibited second empire styling with a central clock tower. A two-story sandstone annex was added in 1906 and connected to the courthouse by an iron bridge. Sandstone for the buildings was quarried south of the city. In 1940 these buildings were demolished and a new courthouse was erected by Work Projects Administration workers. The reinforced-concrete structure featured subtle classical detail and was clad with some of the sandstone from the old buildings. It ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic Plaque, Jonathan Hamilton Baker

Historic Plaque, Jonathan Hamilton Baker

Date: May 2, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic marker in Palo Pinto, Texas. It reads: "Jonathan Hamilton Baker (July 13, 1832 - October 18, 1918). Virginia native Jonathan Hamilton "Ham" Baker came to Texas in 1858 with his brother G. W. Baker and his uncle Eli Young. Stricken by malaria while a teacher in Fort Worth, he later moved to Palo Pinto County where his uncle Frank Baker was homesteading. Here he opened a school in Palo Pinto, and soon after helped establish the town's first Methodist Church. In 1859 Baker was chosen to lead a company of local men organized to defend the area against Indian attacks. He first served under Capt. J. R. Baylor and later participated with Capt. Lawrence Sullivan Ross in the recovery of Cynthia Ann Parker, the white woman seized by Comanches in 1836. During the Civil War he served as leader of the home guard. Baker was also an open range cattleman, and in 1869 he began driving his herds to Kansas railheads. Active in local government, he served as Deputy Sheriff, Justice of the Peace, Deputy Postmaster and Clerk of the County and District. In 1890 he moved to Granbury, where he became a successful nurseryman. For ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST