You limited your search to:

  Partner: UNT Libraries
 County: Red River County, TX
Gazebo on grounds of the Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville
Photograph of a gazebo on the grounds of the Red River County Courthouse in Clarksville. The roof is supported by four columns, and there are plants all around the gazebo. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6674/
Historic plaque - Members of Confederate Congress
Photograph of a historic plaque in Clarksville, Texas. It reads: "Texas in the Civil War, Members of Confederate Congress. During the 4 years, 4 months after secession, Texas sent 18 lawmakers to the Confederate capitols. Her delegates to the provisional congress, Feb. 1861 to Feb. 1862 were John R. Gregg, Freestone County; John Hemphill, Travis County; Wm. B. Ochiltree, Nacogdoches County; Williamson S. Oldham, Washington County; John H. Reagan, Anderson County; Thomas N. Waul, Gonzales County; and Louis T. Wigfall, Harrison County. Texans in the first Confederate States Congress, Feb. 1862 - Feb. 1864, were B. H. Epperson of Red River County; M. D. Graham, Rusk County; Peter W. Gray, Harris County; Claiborne C. Herbert, Colorado County; Frank B. Sexton, San Augustine County; John A. Wilcox, Bexar County; and Wm. B. Wright, Lamar County. Oldham and Wigfall served as senators, 1862 - 1865. Herbert and Sexton were re-elected to the second Confederate Congress, in 1864. Their colleagues were Gen. John R. Baylor, Parker County; Anthony M. Branch, Walker County; Stephen H. Darden, Gonzales County; and Simpson H. Morgan, Red River County. Several Congressmen left the legislative branch of the government for the battlefield, two becoming Generals. Others left for Presidential assignments -- one, Reagan, to be Postmaster-General in the cabinet. (1965)" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6672/
Historic plaque - Red River County Courthouse
Photograph of a historic plaque in Clarksville, Texas. It reads: "Red River Courthouse. Records date from 1836. Fifth courthouse for county. Built 1885. Italian Renaissance design. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6678/
Historic plaque - Red River County Jail
Photograph of a historic plaque in Clarksville, Texas. It reads: "Red River County Jail. This building was completed in 1889 as the second jail for Red River County. Architects Maj. S. B. Haggart and Marshall Sanguinet designed the structure as a companion building to the county courthouse, which had been completed five years earlier. The elaborate high Victorian Italianate styling of the Red River County Jail features finely crafted stonework and intricate metal cornices. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6667/
Historic plaque - Stagecoach Stand
Photograph of a historic plaque in Clarksville, Texas. It reads: "Stagecoach Stand, C. S. A. Across the street from this site, and facing the county courthouse which was later (1885) torn down, the Donoho Hotel and State Stand operated during the Civil War, 1861-65. Travel in those years was heavy, soldiers arriving in Texas from Arkansas, Indian Territory or elsewhere would catch the stage here for home. Many called by to give news to the Clarksville "Standard", one of fewer than 20 Texas papers to be published throughout the war. The "Standard's" emphasis on personal news from camps was valued by soldiers' families. Stagecoach passengers for Marshall left at 4 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, going by Daingerfield and Jefferson, where steamer connections could be made. Railroad and stage connections were made at Marshall, 42 hours after the coach left here. The stage to Waco every second day went by Paris, Bonham, McKinney, Dallas, Waxahachie and Hillsboro, arriving in 4 days, 14 hours. Connections made in Waco included Henderson, Hempstead, Nacogdoches and San Antonio. 31 stage lines in Confederate Texas hauled mail, soldiers, civilians. 26 made connections with railroads or steamships, expediting travel. (1965)" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6669/
Monument with statue of Confederate soldier, Clarksville
Monument with statue of Confederate soldier, dedicated to Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865. Provided by the John C. Burks Camp No. 656 of United Confederate Veterans 1890-1937. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6671/
Monument with statue of Confederate soldier, Clarksville
statue of Confederate soldier texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6670/
Old Jail Museum, Clarksville
Old Jail Museum in Clarksville texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6668/
Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville
Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6675/
Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville
Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville. Built 1884, architects William H. Wilson texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6679/
Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville
Red River County Courthouse texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6676/
Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville
Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6673/
Red River County Jail, detail of window
Red River county jail, detail of window with barred windows. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6666/
The Texarkana Gateway to Texas and the Southwest
This text gives an overview of the places and resources in Texas with an emphasis on the locations where the railroads run through the state. Indexes start on page 220. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61116/
Veterans Memorial, Red River County
Veterans memorial, Red River County. In grateful memory we dedicate this memorial to those from Red River Cunty who died in the service of their country. They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who were willing to die so freedom might live and grow and increase its blessings. Freedom lives adn through it these patriots live ina way which humbles the undertakings of mankind. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6677/