Date: October 26, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in San Augustine, Texas. It reads: "San Augustine County Courthouse. When the town of San Augustine was platted in 1834, this property was reserved for the public square, but it was another 20 years before the first courthouse was constructed here. San Augustine was one of the 23 original counties established after Texas won independence from Mexico in 1836. Early courts were held in the Mansion Hotel, and by 1840, the county government operated out of the Federal Custom House. In 1854, San Augustine County built its first Courthouse on the public square. The subsequent Courthouse, an 1893 Italianate structure, was razed to make room for the current building. Completed in 1927, the third San Augustine County Courthouse is constructed of Texas Lueders Stone. It is symmetrical in plan with a prominent central entry bay and exhibits influences of the classical revival style of architecture. The County Commissioner Court, with County Judge Ed Kennon presiding, selected East Texas architect Shirley Simons as the designer and the firm of Campbell and White as the builders. Over the years, the square has been a gathering place for community and county events. Monuments placed on the grounds include ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries