You limited your search to:

  Partner: UNT Libraries
 County: Shackelford County, TX
Historic Plaque, Lt. Col. William E. Dyess

Historic Plaque, Lt. Col. William E. Dyess

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Albany, Texas. It reads: "Lt. Col. William E. Dyess, (August 9, 1916 - December 22, 1943) "A native of Albany, and a graduate of Albany HighSchool and John Tarleton Agricultural College, William Edwin Dyess was the son of Judge Richard T. and Hallie Graham Dyess. Trained as a pilot at Randolph Field, San Antonio, he led the 21st Pursuit Squadron of P-40s in the Phillipines, where he was when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in December 1941 and the U.S. entered Word War II. Dyess' actions against invading Japanese forces at Subic Bay, despite few operational planes, and his later role as infantry commander earned him a reputation for bravery and resourcefulness. Dyess was among the men captured at the fall of Bataan on April 9, 1942 and forced into the grueling death march. He survived the malnutrition, disease and torture that resulted in the loss of thousands of his comrades. Almost a year after their capture he and 11 other men escaped and made their way through hostile territory. Dyess reported to the U. S. War Department and Gen. Douglas MacArthur on enemy actions. Through his personal accounts of Japanese atrocities in the Chicago ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
[Close-Up of Clock Tower]

[Close-Up of Clock Tower]

Date: unknown
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the clock tower on top of the Shackelford County courthouse in Albany, Texas.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Businesses around the square, Albany

Businesses around the square, Albany

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of businesses along the square in Albany, Texas. Pictured are Bright Sky Press and Lynch Line Books. The buildings are largely stone. Several cars are parked or driving by the businesses.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
[Stone Building]

[Stone Building]

Date: unknown
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a two-story stone building in Albany, Texas. There are cars to the right, and trees and cactus plants are visible in front of the building.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Train depot, Albany

Train depot, Albany

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: The Train depot in Albany.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Texas Central Railcar

Texas Central Railcar

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Texas Central railcar in Albany.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Shackelford County Courthouse

Shackelford County Courthouse

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Shackelford County Courthouse, constructed 1883, architect J.E. Flanders.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Veterans Memorial, Shackelford County

Veterans Memorial, Shackelford County

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Veterans Memorial, Albany. "Dedicated to the men who served in all wars and to those who gave their lives in service to our country."
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic Plaque, Shackelford County

Historic Plaque, Shackelford County

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Albany, Texas. It reads: "Shackelford County. First inhabited by nomadic Indian tribes, Shackelford County was created in 1858 and named for Dr. John Shackelford (1790-1857). The first permanent Anglo-American settlers in this area included J. C. Lynch (1828-1912), a native of Ireland who moved here in 1858; W. H. Ledbetter (1833-84), who arrived in 1859 and later started the Ledbetter Salt Works; T. E. Jackson (b.1820), a merchant who settled in the northern part of the county before 1860; and G. W. Greer (1812-93), who operated a stage station on Hubbard Creek after 1861. During the Civil War (1861-1865), settlers took refuge at "family forts" such as Fort Mugginsville and Fort Hubbard. They gained military protection from frontier perils when the U. S. Army established Fort Griffin in 1867. Griffin, the lawless settlement that grew up around the Fort, attracted buffalo hide hunters and cattlemen driving herds up the western cattle trail. Shackelford County was organized Sept. 12, 1874, with Fort Griffin as temporary county seat. Albany was chosen permanent county seat in Nov. 1874. The county's population increased sharply after the arrival of the Texas Central Railroad in 1881. Petroleum production generated an ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Shackelford County Courthouse

Shackelford County Courthouse

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: The Shackelford County Courthouse, constructed in 1883 by architect J.E. Flanders.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST