Explore by Partners
The Abilene Christian University Library collections include the Prickly Pear yearbooks from 1916-2007, and and includes photos and information about the university, students, professors, sports, and organizations.
The Abilene Library Consortium (ALC) is a regional nonprofit organization in Abilene, Texas, that provides support and resources to libraries, museums, and information organizations. The ALC collection features thousands of photos, print materials, maps, newspapers, and much more.
The Abilene Public Library has partnered with us to provide access to The Community Bulletin, a local weekly publication that reported on church and community events, civil rights, political races, educational changes, and the job market. A regular feature highlights famous African Americans in history and includes excerpts of African American poetry.
The Alexander Architectural Archive at the University of Texas at Austin is an architectural research center of national importance. As a unit of the University of Texas Libraries within the Architecture and Planning Library, the Archive supports research and education about the history of the built environment by acquiring and preserving research collections and by making them accessible.
The Alvord Public Library contributes local history materials that include the Mayor's Criminal Docket, 1893-1924; Ledger of the Church of Christ at Alvord, 1904-1916; the Union Hill Baptist Church Record Books from 1877-1950; the "Yellowed Pages," a history of Audobon by Mary Steph; a 1920-21 city tax roll; and turn-of-the-century wholesale receipts from the J. R. Rhyne Hardware Store. Funding for this project was provided by the Tocker Foundation.
The Amon Carter Museum of American Art collections include rare books that document early Fort Worth history for the grant "Where the West Begins: Capturing Fort Worth's Historic Treasures." Among the included publications are: Souvenir of Fort Worth, Texas: Photo-gravures, 1907; The Stock Manual by George B. Loving, 1881; and Texans and their State: a Newspaper Reference Work, 1918.
The Anderson County Genealogical Society contributes archival issues of their publication "Tracings" dating 1983-2000. The publication contains genealogical information including generation charts, family histories, and lists of records (births, deaths, church records, etc.).
The Anderson County Historical Commission provides materials for the Rescuing Texas History project. Images include local citizens, businesses, and homes.
Anne and Mike Stewart present their personal collection of written works about the Texas German freethinkers, the history of Comfort, Texas and the Nueces Battle and Massacre of August 10, 1862.
The Archives of the Big Bend at Sul Ross State University contribute materials by W.D. Smithers, a photographer, map maker, news correspondent, author, and naturalist who came to the Big Bend area with the U.S. Army in 1915. Smither's illustrations richly document the border activities of the military from 1916-1935. Details featured include the cavalry, pack mules, horses, equipment, insignias, overland routes of the troops, and the border air patrol.
Archives of the Central Texas Conference United Methodist Church provides materials for Where the West Begins: Capturing Fort Worth's Historic Treasures. Photographs and archival documents, from as early as 1912, include portraits of staff and church events at Glen Lake and Rainbow Camp.
Arlington Historical Society presents photographs from its World War II collection as well as early images of Arlington's development including major construction projects for General Motors, Six Flags Mall, and Arlington Stadium.
The photo collections of the Arlington Public Library document the development of Arlington, Texas as well as the history of the Arlington Police Department. The collections also include a selection of World War II era photographs and documents.
The Armstrong County Museum presents The History of Armstrong County, a two-volume set that provides an historical overview of the county and biographical sketches of pioneer families who settled in the area.
The Atlanta Public Library serves the population of Cass County, Texas.
Austin College partnered with us to provide access to their yearbooks from 1899 to 1950, The Chromascope. This valuable resource documents the history of their college, their students and faculty. Also included are several volumes from the "Telling our Stories" series.
The Austin History Center is the local history division of the Austin Public Library. It provides the public with information about the history, events, and activities of Austin and Travis County. It collects and preserves information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to our history. It presents here images from the Neal Douglass Photography Collection, the General Collection Photographs, the Bergstrom-Austin Community Council Records, the Chalberg Collection of Prints and Negatives, and the O. Henry Project.
The Austin Seminary Archives is the institutional repository for the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary in Austin, Texas. The archives also collect materials that document Presbyterianism in the Southwest including pastoral records, congregational histories, and organizational records. The archives was established in the early 1990s and contains over 140 processed collections measuring more than 300 linear feet.
Bartlett Activities Center and the Historical Society presents their local newspaper, The Bartlett Tribune, dating from 1902 to 1982. Bartlett, Texas is located on the border between Williamson and Bell counties. The town was founded when the Katy Railroad started their survey in 1881 and soon after became a major shipping point for cotton. By 1890 it was a thriving town and had two weekly newspapers.
The Bastrop Public Library presents their local newspaper, the Bastrop Advertiser for the years 1854-1954. Bastrop is located 30 miles southwest of downtown Austin. Funding was provided by the Tocker Foundation for the digitization of the newspaper.
The Baylor County Free Library contributes issues of the weekly newspapers the Baylor County Banner and the Seymour Weekly Cresset.
The Bee County Historical Commission provided local history materials for the Rescuing Texas History project. Images include local citizens, businesses, and homes.
Bell Whittington Public Library presents a collection of photographs from San Patricio and Nueces Counties, including images of the 1919 hurricane, portraits of early residents of the county, hunting photos and President Taft's visit to a local ranch in 1909.
Through a collaboration between the Bellaire Historical Society and the Friends of the Bellaire Library, the Bellaire Area Newspaper collection has been made available on The Portal to Texas History. It is the purpose of the Bellaire Historical Society to preserve, maintain, restore and display designated historical landmarks, natural beauty, documents, artifacts, records of persons active in the history of the City of Bellaire and any other objects distinctive of this history.
The Beth-El Congregation Archives collection includes photographs of confirmation classes dating from 1905 to the present, as well as social events from their community. The collection also includes handwritten notes from the first and second organizing meetings of Beth-El Congregation in 1902.
The Bosque County Historical Commission contributes local history materials for the Rescuing Texas History project. Images include photos of early businesses and citizens, maps, and documents from Texas land agent and colonizer, Jacob De Cordova.
The National Scouting Museum features all its existing issues of Scouting magazine dating back to 1913. The magazine is written for Boy Scout leaders, officials, and others interested in the work of the Scouts. It includes articles about events and activities, updates from the national headquarters, topical columns and essays, and news from various chapters nationwide.
The Boyce Ditto Public Library materials include local history from the A. F. Weaver Collection featuring resort souvenir guides and photos of Mineral Wells from its founding to the present. There is extensive coverage of the Hexagon House, the Baker Hotel, Camp/Fort Wolters and the many mineral wells that made the city a major resort in the first half of the 20th Century.
The Breckenridge Library presents a number of historical newspapers including the Breckenridge Daily American (1922-1940), Breckenridge Weekly Democrat (1926-1933), the Stephens County Sun (1933-1940), and the junior and senior high school newspaper published by the journalism students, The Dynamo (1932-1939).
The Burnet County Historical Commission provides a variety of documents, photographs, negatives, and books that represent Burnet County from its founding in the 19th century up to the 20th century.
The Canyon Area Library contributes a selection of text including 'Panhandle Pilgrimage' to the Texas History Collection; an item which covers the history of the Panhandle region of Texas from prehistory to 1978.
Their Carrollton Public Library contributes their collection of the minutes of the Union Baptist Church, which was organized in 1846 and has the distinction of being the first Baptist church organized and chartered in Dallas County. The materials document church proceedings, the members' beliefs, and the congregation's influence on society during the 19th and 20th centuries.
The Carson County library, which serves Groom, Panhandle, Skellytown, and White Deer, presents issues of its local newspapers the Panhandle Herald and White Deer News. Funding was provided by the Tocker Foundation for the digitization of the newspaper.
The Casey Memorial Library is a U.S. Army library serving Fort Hood, Texas, established in 1942 at Camp Hood, outside Killeen, Texas. The 85,000-item collection emphasizes military history and general interests for all ages.
The Cattle Raisers Association of Texas is the oldest and largest organization of its kind in the U.S., and the museum partnered with us to provide access to thousands of photographs that document the importance and significance of Texas and the Southwest's ranching heritage. The images include portraits of leading Texas ranches and ranchers.
The Chambers County Library System presents issues of the Age Index, a monthly publication which reports the happenings throughout Chambers County. The articles within the publication are selected from old newspapers and also include transcriptions of oral history interviews. These materials were digitized as part of a Rescuing Texas History Grant.
Cherokee County Historical Commission contributes a selection of copy negative photographs depicting families and businesses in Rusk, Jacksonville, and surrounding towns in Cherokee County.
A state historical marker designates the Cherokeean Herald newspaper in Rusk as the state's oldest, continuously published weekly. The publication's rich roots were planted in 1850, when Texas had been a state for just four years. Its contribution to the Portal includes "Two Hundred and Fifty Years: History of Alto, Texas, 1686-1936", a compilation of research regarding the history of Alto, Texas and creative poetry about the town.
The Childress County Heritage Museum partnered with us to provide access to historic photos from the 1880s to the 1950s. Images feature the local city streets and businesses; area ranches; the FW&D Railway Co; and the Childress Army Air Field during WWII. They have also contributed hundreds of items to the Rescuing Texas History, 2007 collection.
Cistercian Preparatory School features its archival materials documenting migration of Hungarian Cistercian monks to the Cistercian Preparatory School in Dallas, Texas.
The City of Clarendon contributes local history materials that include ledgers that document the minutes of City Commission meetings dating from 1901-2003; ledgers showing city ordinances from 1915-2007; and a ledger with the minutes of the meetings of the Chamber of Commerce from 1920-1921. Funding for this project was provided by the Tocker Foundation.
The City of College Station features photographs from Texas' Historic Online Library Database (Project HOLD). Since 2002, the City of College Station has been collecting and preserving the documentary and photographic history of the City of College Station, Texas, as well as educating citizens concerning the history of the City.
The City of Denton Parks and Recreation presents its seasonal catalogs which list activities, special events, and programs available to the residents of Denton.
Collection of oral history interview held by the City of Grapevine, Texas. The interviews are recordings in audio cassette and VHS format, on topics related to the history of the city.
The Clark Hotel Museum materials include images from Van Horn and Culberson County, selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps.
The Clay County Historical Society presents a rich collection of photographs that include early images of Henrietta and surrounding Clay County. Also featured are images of Native Americans taken by photographers Alice Snearly, Lon Kelley, and William E. Irwin. They have contributed to several collections, including Rescuing Texas History, University of North Texas Archives, and the German Immigration to Texas collection.
Cleveland Historic Society features its collection of photographs, documents, personal letters and maps that catalog Cleveland's growth and culture. The Santa Fe and Southern Pacific railroads running just north of Cleveland along with logging and lumber mills were core to Cleveland's development.
Established on January 26, 1885, the Coleman Public Library (CPL) was among the first publicly supported libraries in Texas. Since that time, the community’s involvement and financial support has enabled the library to experience continuous growth and positive change. Originally housed in a corner room at the county courthouse, the library now resides in a renovated Safeway grocery store that has seen major expansion and updating since 1982. CPL serves a county population of over 8,000 people, circulates more than 42,000 items a year, and offers programming for adults, teens, and children.
CPL’s mission is to serve as a community center by providing technology, educational resources, and reading materials for the enjoyment of its patrons. Its collections include print books, popular magazines, audiobooks, and videos. As a progressive library, CPL also offers computers with Internet accessibility, downloadable books, and TexShare databases (full-text articles from journals, newspapers, magazines, and many other sources).
The Collin County Genealogical Society provides access to the Collin Chronicles, its annual publication. The issues run from 1981 and provide transcripts of historical materials, local cemetery information and general research resources. They have supported digitization of multiple newspaper titles in the Texas Digital Newspaper Program, including the McKinney Democrat-Gazette, the Frisco Journal, the Sachse Sentinel, the Wylie News, the Sachse News, and the Plano Star-Courier.
The Collingsworth County Museum contributes their collection of photographs, dating from 1888 through 2010, that represent the culture and heritage of the people of eastern Panhandle Texas. Included are photographs of school children, school buildings, businesses, street scenes, downtown buildings, churches, agriculture, people, and families of the county.
The Concordia University Texas Library presents images of the original campus in central Austin, which was then a boys’ high school called Lutheran Concordia College. These photographs feature early faculty and students as well as buildings including Kilian Hall, Texas Hall, Hirschi Library, Birkman Chapel, Behnker Hall, Studtmann Hall, Woltman Activities Center, and Kramer Hall. Also included in the University Records series is correspondence between the institution’s Board of Control and the national Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod leadership describing the campus development. Correspondence features discussion with architects and contractors regarding building construction and repairs. The Theodore Schmidt Collection includes 73 photographs taken by a student of the first Lutheran Concordia College class, admitted in 1926.
Cooke County Library presents its collection of photographs, drawings and documents that document the founding of Cooke County Library which was the second system established as a Carnegie Foundation library. The items show the timeline and evolution of the library since 1899.
The Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History contributed to the Rescuing Texas History 2007 collection with photos of the 1919 Hurricane; a category 4 storm that was one of the deadliest of the twentieth century with winds up to 110 mph, and waves cresting as high as 16 feet.
Denton's Courthouse-on-the-Square Museum contributes local history photographs from the Harpool Farm Collections, and through the ongoing project From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History, they will provide historic photographs of the communities in Denton County.
The Cowtown Coliseum contributes materials to the collection Where the West Begins: Capturing Fort Worthâ€™s Historic Treasures, which includes action photographs of bull riding, barrel racing, and calf roping at the Coliseum's rodeo events.
The Crosby County Library is located at 114 West Aspen Street in Crosbyton, Texas. County- and city-supported, it serves a rural population of approximately 6,500 residents.
The Cross Plains Public Library contributes a scrapbook and a collection photographs that covers the fire storm in December 2005 that hit Cross Plains, Texas.
The Czech Ex-Students Association Of Texas (Spolek Ceskych Ex-Studentu Statu Texas) was organized in 1909 to promote and perpetuate the Czech language and culture. Their contributions to the Portal include materials related to the late Olga Pazdral (1907-1965), teacher and folklorist of Czech culture in Texas.
The Colony Public Library, born of the efforts of a loyal group of volunteers, first opened its doors in February 1982 in a small, 1,985 square foot storefront facility that it shared with the Parks and Recreation Department.
The Dallas County Community College District (DCCCD) provides images of campus events and significant leaders who have shaped the development of the largest undergraduate institution in the state of Texas. DCCCD consists of seven colleges - Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, El Centro, Mountain View, North Lake and Richland - plus the R. Jan LeCroy Center for Educational Telecommunications. Since 1965, DCCCD has served more than 1.5 million people.
The Dallas Firefighters Museum features its photograph collection of the early history of the fire department which was established by the City of Dallas in the 1870s.
The Dallas Genealogical Society presents its annual publication containing genealogical information about families in Dallas, Texas and the surrounding area.
Dallas Heritage Village contributed large format images of early Dallas citizens such as Dan F. Sullivan, George M. Dallas, and the Carr family for the Rescuing Texas History project.
The Dallas Historical Society provides images from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Collection. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Collection includes photographs of early lock and dam projects throughout Texas, dating from 1913 to the 1920s.
Dallas Municipal Archives partnered with the Portal to provide access to several collections, one of which is the John F Kennedy, Dallas Police Department Collection. Oher collections include Dallas Park and Recreation Department Photographs; Dallas Water Utilities Records and Photographic Series, 1882-1990; Dallas Farmers Market - Henry Forschmidt Collection 1938-1986; Clyde Barrow Gang Collection; and the Love Field Album and Photographs Collection.
The Dallas Museum of Art Archives was established to preserve and administer the Museum's permanent institutional records and special collections. The mission of the archives is to support the goals of the Dallas Museum of Art by identifying, collecting, preserving, and making available for staff the public records of enduring value created or received by the Museum and its employees.
The Dallas Public Library contributes rare books from its Texas/Dallas History & Archives, including a 1910 history of the Dallas Police Department, an 1896 Official directory, taxpayers for Dallas County, Texas, and a Memorial and biographical history of Dallas County, Texas.
The Danish Heritage Preservation Society provides over 1,000 items depicting the history of Danish people in Texas. The items include photographs, postcards, legal documents, and books that date from the 1860's to present day.
The Deaf Smith County Library collections include the Bill and Marcella Bradly Collection, consisting of photographic negatives documenting the history, people, businesses, and ranches of Deaf Smith County. Also included are two local history books: Deaf Smith County: The Land and Its People and A History of Deaf Smith County, featuring Pioneer Families, as well as local souvenir guides. This project is supported in part by Humanities Texas, the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
The Refugio County Public Library was established in 1961. The Library was a gift from Mr. & Mrs. Dennis O'Connor. The Library is a memorial to the Irish Colonists who settled the county in 1828-1834.
Denton Independent School District has served Denton students since 1884. Our collection provides historical documents, pamphlets, programs, yearbooks and other pertinent documents chronicling the history of the school district.
The Denton Public Library partnered with UNT Libraries on a grant From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History, which was completed in 2007. Materials include local history photographs, maps, city directories, and some books. Funding for this project was provided by the Forrest C. Lattner Foundation.
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History features a number of collections on the Portal: the Huth Papers, Lorenzo de Zavala writings and correspondence, the Moses and Stephen F. Austin Papers, the Winkelmann Photograph Collection and a vast store of early Texas newspapers.
The Dublin Public Library is located about seventy miles southwest of Fort Worth, Texas. The library provides free services to all residents living in Erath County and the surrounding communities. This library has been a free public library to citizens of Dublin and Erath County since its beginning in 1952.
East Texas Genealogical Society provides a Quarterly publication containing genealogical information about families in East Texas including fifth generation charts, family histories, and lists of records (births, deaths, etc.).
The Eastland Centennial Memorial Library is a happening place. In 2014, the library applied for and received a Tocker Foundation grant to digitize its local newspapers on The Portal to Texas History, which will benefit area genealogists.
The El Paso County Historical Society has provided the Portal to Texas History with directories of the city of El Paso, Texas and Cuidad Juarez, Mexico. The Society exists to study local El Paso and El Paso County history, to foster local research, to acquire and preserve historical documents and archives, to make collections available to the public for research and information, and to encourage historical writing and publication.
The El Paso Public Library contributes photographs from the Otis Aultman Photograph Collection, which pertain to the Mexican Revolution, Pancho Villa's raid on Columbus, New Mexico, and the ensuing Punitive Expedition of 1916-1917.
On April 21, 1981, the Port Aransas Library was opened to the public and in September, 1981, became a member of the South Texas Library System. By 1995, the Library had out-grown its space in the City Hall complex, was relocated, and was renamed The William R. "Bill" Ellis Memorial Library, in honor of the former mayor and civic leader. The doors opened in January of 1996.
The Erath County Genealogical Society presents the Ralph and Dossie Rogers Historic Image Collection, photographs from the Cross Timbers area of Central Texas taken and preserved by Ralph and Dossie Gilbreath Rogers. The photographs were digitized via a Rescuing Texas History grant.
The Euless Public Library contributes photographs and letters to the Texas History Collection that include a photograph of the WWI soldiers from Company E. 359th Division, and photos from the Falls family of Roxton.
The Ferris Public Library provides the Texas Digital Newspaper Program with the Ferris Wheel from 1896-1897. The weekly newspaper contains local, national and world news, stories, poetry, jokes, church directory, and advertisements.
The Fire Museum of Texas contributes its collection of uniform patches from city and volunteer fire departments from all over the state of Texas. The collection is one of the largest and most complete of its type that represent the history of the fire service in the state.
The First Christian Church of Port Arthur contributes to the Rescuing Texas History, 2007 collection and materials from their collections include two history books of their congregation, as well as photos revealing the legacy of the church. Rock star Janis Joplin sang with the youth choir in the early 1950s, and photos from that time in her life are also included.
Fort Bend County Libraries is a publicly supported, nonprofit institution serving the Fort Bend community as a resource center. The main library, George Memorial Library, is located at 1001 Golfview Dr., Richmond, Texas 77469. The building houses the Genealogy & Local History Department, which has many unique resources documenting Fort Bend County history.
The department’s resources also focus on the southeastern United States and include materials relating to the history of the South, federal censuses, genealogy, and the Civil War. The library strives to make these items easily accessible to as many as possible.
The mission of Fort Bend County Libraries is to bring people, information and ideas together to enrich lives, expand minds, and strengthen our diverse community.
The Fort Bend Museum presents a rich variety of historical materials, including photographs of artifacts from the museum and local history photographs. Among these interesting materials are photographs of U.S. Congressman John M. Moore, prohibitionist Carrie A. Nation, and Jane Long, the "Mother of Texas."
The Fort Worth Jewish Archives, a program of the Jewish Federation of Fort Worth and Tarrant County, presents its collection of archival materials that document the development of a strong ethnic immigrant community over several generations. It includes photographs and archival materials from a multitude of organizations including Men's Chevra Kadisha, Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center, Jewish War Veterans, National Council of Jewish Women, Hadassah, B'nai B'rith Women and Ahavath Sholom.
The Fort Worth Public Library contributes materials from its local history collections for the grant "Where the West Begins: Capturing Fort Worth's Historic Treasures." The collection includes books and souvenir guides about early Fort Worth, and a photograph album by Lewis D. Fox featuring street scenes and parades. Images include the 1936 parade for President Roosevelt, the Armistice Day Parade of 1936, 1939, 1943, and the opening of Casa Manana.
French Legation Museum collection documents the work of renowned preservation architect, Raiford Stripling. In the 1950s, Stripling was hired by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas to oversee the ongoing historic restoration of the Legation structure and planning for the historic site and its outbuildings. As the oldest existing home in Austin, the Legation and the Museum possess a unique and important history for Austin and Texas.
Friench Simpson Memorial Library contributes its collection of photographs of Halletsville and Lavaca County, Texas, many of which were taken by Texas photographer Henry Jacob Braunig. Recognized as one of the premier photographers in Texas, Braunig established his permanent studio in Halletsville in 1887 and continued taking photographs until his death in 1945.
Frontier Texas is a history museum, heritage center and visitor information center located in downtown Abilene. The facility, opened in 2004, showcases the history of the Texas frontier and promotes the historical attractions in the Texas Forts Trail region. The museum allows visitors to relive the Old West through of state-of-the-art technology and brings the frontier to life to let visitors meet people who played out their lives on the Texas frontier. Frontier Texas is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
The Gaines County Libraries main branch is located Seminole, Texas. There is also a branch in Seagraves, Texas. The Gaines County Library System (GCLS) provides free services to all residents living within the state of Texas.
The Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library partnered with us for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps. Selected materials include maps of Hitchcock and Galveston County, and photographs of local businesses, homes, and Camp Wallace.
The George Ranch Historical Park has contributed a collection of over 2,000 photographs, artifacts, letters, artwork and more to us. The Park is a 23,000 acre working ranch and living history museum.
Serving the population of Mexia, Texas, the Gibbs Memorial LIbrary is located in northeastern Limestone County.
The Gillespie County Historical Society presents its photograph collection of life in Fredericksburg and Gillespie County. The images depict the life of German Settlers who immigrated to the Texas Hill Country in the 1840's as well as their descendants.
The Grace Museum contributed issues of newspapers published by the personnel at Camp Barkeley and the Abilene Army Air Field in Abilene, Texas.
Formed in 1966 to save the oldest home in Sherman for m the bulldozer, Grayson County Frontier Village organized and leased for $1 a site embracing 17 acres in Loy Park when the Bass home was relocated and later restored.
The City of Mercedes, long referred to as “The Queen City,” had an informal, small library established in 1911. By 1938, the Mercedes G-Women’s Literacy Club began planning for a free public library in Mercedes. In 1939, more civic groups took up the call and created a Library Council to further the plans for a public library, and by 1940, a small library opened with 500 books, which was the necessary number of books to hire a W.P.A.-sponsored librarian.
Hardin-Simmons University collections include the Bronco yearbook from 1908-2007, and the university catalogs from 1892-2008. The Bronco includes photos and information about the school, student body, professors, and organizations. The Bronco is preserved as a complete collection for the years 1908-2007, with 1918 being the only year not available due to no publication for that year. The catalogs describe the governance, history, course offerings, and campus life of Hardin-Simmons University, 1892-2008. Hardin Simmons University was founded in 1891 as Abilene Baptist College and since 1941 has been associated with the General Baptist General Convention of Texas.
The Harrie P. Woodson Library proudly presents its historical newspaper collection to the Texas Digital Newspaper Program. The Caldwell News-Chronicle, the Caldwell News, and Burleson County Ledger are weekly newspapers that document the development of Burleson County's farming and oil industries as well as events and people. The papers cover the years from 1897 to 1955.
The Harris County Archives has partnered with the Portal to provide access to Inquest Records from the Justice of the Peace dating from 1889-1896. These records are great resources for researchers by providing a window into Houston society in the late nineteenth century by documenting responses to suspicious and tragic deaths.
Haslet Public Library features photographs of farms, schools, and churches that track the development of Haslet, Texas. The area was settled around 1883, when the tracks of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway were extended through the area. The community was named for the Michigan hometown of the railroad's contractor. In 1896 the community had a school with twenty-one students and one teacher. During the 1920s Haslet had three grocery stores as well as a hardware store, dry goods store, and cotton gin.
The Hemphill County Library partnered with us to provide access to the Hemphill County News from 1939-1951 and the Canadian Advertiser from 1938-1939. These two newspapers contain local, county, and national news in addition to local advertising.
The Henderson County District Clerk's Office is working with us to provide access to historic legal documents and court cases from the 1850s to the early 1900s.
The Heritage House Museum partnered with us to provide access to historic materials from Orange County. Materials include photographs of early citizens, homes, churches, and schools; as well as business concerns such as shipping, farming, lumber mills, and oil exploration. Funds for this project were graciously provided by the Summerlee Foundation, the Stark Foundation, and private individuals.
The Higgins Public Library was organized and sponsored by the Litera Club, a women's service organization, in 1937
Dedicated to the preservation of historical sites and artifacts relating to the City of Mesquite, Texas, Historic Mesquite, Inc. (HMI) and the Mesquite Public Library present their collection of photographs showing places, people, and early families of Mesquite and surrounding Dallas County.
The History Center presents a selection of its rich collection of photographs and historical documents. Located deep in the heart of the beautiful East Texas piney woods in Diboll, Texas, The History Center's holdings include manuscripts, business and local government records, maps, newspapers, oral histories, books, and more than 250,000 photographs.
The Hondo Public Library serves the residents of Hondo, Medina County, Texas. Their contributions to the Portal include issues of the Hondo Anvil Herald, the Anvil Herald, and Fletcher's State Rights Farming.
The Honey Grove Preservation League is a volunteer group that believes that the history of Honey Grove and surrounding communities deserves to be preserved for current citizens and future generations.
The Houston Metropolitan Research Center (HMRC) features two of its extensive collections: The John J. Herrera Papers and The Mexican American Family and Photo Collection.
The Walker Memorial Library at Howard Payne University collections include the Lasso yearbooks from 1912 - 2001, and the Swarm yearbooks from 2002 - 2007. The yearbooks feature school songs, yells, student writings and artwork, as well as photos of faculty, students, student groups, and athletic events. The catalogs and bulletins of Daniel Baker College span the years of 1908 to 1953. They describe the governance, history, admission, course offerings, and campus life of Daniel Baker College in Brownwood, Texas.
Hutchinson County Genealogical Society collection consists of photographs, illustrations, and biographies, including death, burial and marriage records.
In 2011, the Borger Branch of the Hutchinson County Library funded digitization and access to their historic newspaper collection of the Borger Daily Herald, which documents the town's economic boom from 1927-1941. Through the support of the Hutchinson County Library, over 7,800 pages of their historic newspaper are available on the Portal to Texas History.
The Irving Archives presents images from two collections, the Charles and Catherine Schulze Collection, and the O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection. Images include photographs of Irving homes, businesses and citizens in the early 1900s.
The Jacksonville Public Library in northeastern Cherokee County, Texas presents issues of the Cherokee County Banner, a newspaper that served the cities of Jacksonville, Alto, Rusk, and Wells.
The Jacob Fontaine Religious Museum provides materials that represent the history of African American churches in the Austin area and have contributed to the Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and Building the African-American Community collections. The museum is named for Jacob Fontaine, a slave preacher who founded thirteen Baptist churches in Travis County. Mainly consisting of photographs, the items date from 1898 to 2006.
Johnson County Genealogical Society presents it quarterly publication Our Finders Keepers providing genealogical and historical information pertaining to residents and locales of Johnson County.
The Kemah Historical Society has contributed historical photographs depicting various aspects, places, and people of the city. The Society was founded to research and preserve the history and artifacts of Kemah and the surrounding Bay Area.
The Kerens Public Library contributed issues of the Kerens Tribune to the Portal. The newspaper served Kerens and surrounding areas and began publishing in 1892.
The Kerr County Historical Commission (KCHC) was established in 1975, with nine members representing all areas of the county. It is a unit of the Texas Historical Commission and works under the guidance of the Kerr County Commissioners Court. Members are appointed by the Kerr County Commissioners Court.
The purpose of the KCHC is to protect and preserve Kerr County’s historic and cultural resources for the use, education, enjoyment and appreciation of present and future generations. These purposes are distinct from organizations or societies focused on genealogical or family history preservation. The KCHC was pleased to join the Portal to Texas History as a partner in 2014 as an avenue to carry out its purpose of preservation and sharing of historical resources.
Major projects of the KCHC include the preservation of landmark buildings (Old Tivy High School Original Building, the Union Church Restoration), and the designation of over 80 Historical Markers. The Oral History Committee, begun in 1998, has an archive of 85 personal histories of Kerr County pioneer and community individuals. The archives of the KCHC are housed at Schreiner University.
The KCHC gratefully acknowledges the continuing support of the Kerr County Commissioners Court, the visionary leadership of the Chairpersons of the KCHC throughout the years, and the contributions of the many KCHC members committed to preservation of Kerr County.
The Killeen City Library System contributes materials for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps. Images include photographs of the Killeen area, early citizens and the library.
The Krum United Methodist Church collection contains the earliest register of the Krum United Methodist Church, covering the years 1886 to 1925. It contains the Register of pastors, marriages, infant baptisms, and members.
Lamar State College - Orange contributes their collection of The Orange Leader, a newspaper in Southeast Texas that dates back to the late 1800's. Lamar-Orange opened in 1969 as an extension center of Lamar University in Beaumont and later earned independent accreditation in 1989 and received separate degree-granting authority two years later.
Lamar University presents editions of the school's student-run newspapers and the Larry Jene Fisher Photography Collection. The collections document and illustrate the history of the University as well as the surrounding counties in East Texas.
Lambshead, one of Texas' most historic cattle ranches, is still owned and operated by the direct descendants of Judge J.A. and Sallie Reynolds Matthews. The Reynolds and Matthews were pioneer ranchers and trail drivers who arrived in East Texas in the 1850's and at the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, in 1866. These photographs document ranching history, ranching practices and changes in the land.
Twenty years ago in 1977, 17 "want-a-be" genealogists gathered at the Lancaster Veterans Memorial Library. It was their express aim to promote interest in genealogy and preserving family histories. They chose to call this group the Lancaster Genealogical Society. Now, the roster includes members from Cedar Hill, Dallas, DeSoto, Duncanville, Hutchins, Lancaster, Midlothian, Ovilla, Red Oak, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. Their contribution to the Portal includes issues of the weekly newspaper, the Lancaster Herald.
The Laredo Public Library materials include local history materials selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps. Images include photographs of the border area, Fort McIntosh and maps of early Laredo.
The LBJ Museum of San Marcos has partnered with us to contribute the Norman Dietel Photograph Collection, which contains photos of Lyndon B. Johnson and his family, press conferences, ceremonies, and other historic political events. Noteworth persons included in the photos include Sam Rayburn, John F. Kennedy, Billy Moyers, and Harry Truman.
Helen Hall Library of League City features its photograph collection spanning more than a century. Included are the Joseph C. Kilgore Collection, the Caroline Atkinson D'Etchegoyen Collection and the Albert Kiecke Scrapbook Collection.
The Lena Armstrong Public Library contributes a ledger that chronicles Confederate veterans who settled in Bell County, Texas, after the Civil War. The ledger lists members by the state they enlisted in, often includes notes on where particular people fought, and may note a date of death.
The Livingston Municipal Library, formerly the Murphy Memorial Library, presents issues of the East Texas Pinery and the Polk County Enterprise, newspapers that served Livingston, Texas from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company, Fort Worth, collaborated with us to provide access to photographs from their extensive image archives of the Mile Long Hangar, formerly operated by Consolidated Aircraft Corporation. The images focus on the thousands of hard-working women who contributed to the war effort by constructing over 3,000 B-24 Liberators.
The Log Cabin Village collections feature 19th century photographs of the Tompkins, Parks, Howard, and Foster families, including tintypes and daguerreotypes. Two letter collections include correspondence between the Parks and Howard families dating from 1840 to 1940.
Longview Public Library and Gregg County Historical Society feature its collection of photographs that document the development of Longview and the surrounding communities in East Texas.
Lubbock High School is Lubbock's first and oldest high school. Their contribution to the Portal includes issues of its student run newspaper, the Westerner World.
The Lucy Hill Patterson Memorial Library of Rockdale, Texas contributes issues of the Cameron Herald, a weekly newspaper that served Cameron, Texas.
The Marfa Public Library materials include photographs that document their local history. Images include photographs of many families, including the Crosson, Contrera, Cordova, Chavarria, Campos, Cline, Love, Vasquez, Porter, Jordan, and Rivera families. Also featured are photos of the ghost town of Shafter, and pictures of the set for the movie "Giant."
The Marshall Public Library partners with us to provide access to local history photographs documenting their library and notable African-American citizens instrumental in Marshall's development. Many of the individuals pictured in the images were featured in the oral history project "The Black Citizen and American Democracy: Black Culture in Harrison County, Past, Present, and Future."
The McAllen Public Library provides access to its collection of aerial photographs taken during the 1960's. The photographs document the extensive growth from a primarily agricultural area to an international industrial trade and manufacturing region.
The McFaddin-Ward House Museum has provided photographs, documents, and historic postcards from the family's collection. The mission of the McFaddin-Ward House Museum is to preserve and interpret the McFaddin-Ward House, its collections, and the history of the family associated with it.
The Jay Rollins Library at McMurry University partnered with us to provide access to The Totem, the McMurry University yearbooks. The Totem yearbook, 1924-2006, for McMurry College in Abilene, Texas, is the University yearbook, presenting a record of student and campus life during the previous academic year. Included are photographs, formal and candid, of students, faculty, administrators, staff, student organizations, social clubs, athletic teams, Homecoming, and other special events.
Meridian Public Library is a Public library that serves Meridian, TX in Bosque County. The library circulates 4893 items per year and serves a population of 1517 residents. Their collection consists of over 200 issues of the weekly newspaper The Meridian Tribune from the 1920's and 1930's.
The Mesquite Public Library partnered with us to provide access to historic photos that document the start of this Texas and Pacific Railway depot town from its beginnings in 1873 to the early 20th century. Images include businesses, families, school children, and weddings.
Mexic-Arte Museum features its collection of photographs, catalogs and ephemera documenting the Museum's many activities since its opening in 1984. The Mexic-Arte Museum is well-known for its longest-running Day of the Dead Festival, showcasing Latino/Tejano artists, entertainment, and educational programs in the heart of downtown Austin.
Midwestern State University is a leading public liberal arts university committed to providing students with rigorous undergraduate and graduate education in the liberal arts and the professions. The University was established in 1922 and is located in Wichita Falls, Texas, which is midway between Oklahoma City and the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.
After more than a half century, the Mineola Memorial Library collection has expanded from 600 books to more than 46,000 books, digital newspapers and other materials.
The Mineral Wells Heritage Association features a selection of items from its archives. The association is dedicated to preserving the history of Mineral Wells and the surrounding area. Its members are the caretakers of the Rock School Museum, located at 105 N.W. 5th Ave., Mineral Wells, TX.
Montgomery County Memorial Library System began as a collection of 1200 volumes housed in a Conroe School Recreation Center and operated by a women’s group known as the HUB Club. In 1947, the HUB Club appealed to the County to make the library a tax-supported function of County government.
The Moody Medical Library at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston provides access to the Meyer Bodansky Papers recording Bodansky’s involvement with the resettlement of foreign doctors to Texas prior to the outbreak of World War II.
The Moore Memorial Public Library materials include local history materials selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps. Images include photographs of the 1st Aero Squadron in Texas City from 1913-15, and of the Texas City Disaster of 1947.
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston contributes photographs from the Robert Joy Collection. Joy, Houston's premiere portraitist, painted more than 350 portraits over a career that spanned more than forty years. Lawyers, politicians, and the socially elite of Houston were among those who sat for Joy. Photos in the collection, assembled over the course of his work, include those of Lillie Abercrombie, Robert E. Blaffer, Sarah Campbell Blaffer, Alfred C. Glassell Jr., William Clayton, Libbie Rice Farish, William Stamps Farish, Lamar Fleming, and Lyndon B. Johnson.
The Museum of South Texas History (MOSTHistory) was founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum. Located in Edinburg, Texas, the museum features exhibits on the history of the Rio Grande Valley between South Texas and Northeastern Mexico highlighting the rich heritage and blended culture of the region.
The Museum of the American Railroad presents photographs from the Burt C. Blanton Collection, a stunning compilation of images of trains from the age of steam to the 1960s. View photographs of the "Louisiana Eagle," "Sam Houston Zephyr," "Southern Belle," "Bluebonnet," "Texas Eagle," "Texas Zephyr," "Texas Chief," and many others.
Founded in 1926, the museum is a department of Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas and contains over 25,000 objects from prehistoric to contemporary times. They have contributed photographs and glass plate negatives to the Portal to Texas History, which depict the Van Uxen family, Schwable family, and European and Mexican ancestry.
The Museum of the Gulf Coast provides over 450 photographs and postcards that depict the industry, activities, and life along the Coast. The museum combines conventional and unconventional methods to tell the exciting story of the Texas/ Louisiana Gulf Coast region.
The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum provide the Texas History Collection with a handwritten ledger containing a list of registered brands in Texas and surrounding states. It includes ear marks and branding symbols as well as the name and address of the holders.
The National Museum of the Pacific War and Admiral Nimitz Foundation present a selection of interviews with Texas veterans of World War II.
The Nesbitt Memorial Library provides items to the Portal to Texas History concerning Colorado County form the early 1800's through the late 1900's. The items focus on early Texas settlers, Civil War letters, Reconstruction after the Civil War, World War veterans and events concerning the development of Colorado County.
The Nicholas P. Sims Library and Lyceum is committed to serving, supporting and educating our community by providing convenient and effective access to high quality library services, collections in a variety of formats, and information resources designed to meet the needs of our community.
The North Texas History Center in McKinney contributes local history photographs that document their local history. Images include photographs of the McKinney family, the Wilmeth home, and early wrestler, "Haystacks" Calhoun.
The Northeast Lakeview College collections feature photographs of the Lower Valley School (1877-1966), a rural two-room German schoolhouse that served the Cibolo and Schertz communities for 89 years. Images include class pictures, students, teachers, school plays and field trips.
The Oklahoma Historical Society's materials include two collection of handwritten documents and treaties relating to the Cherokee and Caddo Indians and the letter collection of I.G. Vore, an Indian Agent in Oklahoma. Many of the letters in the Vore collection discuss the affairs of the Texas Cherokee Indians in his jurisdiction.
The Old Jail Art Center (OJAC) opened in 1980 with four small galleries, in the first permanent jail built in Shackelford County. The mission of the Old Jail Art Center is to be the primary cultural resource for the region, providing visual art, performing art, and local history resources for residents and visitors alike, and fostering memorable experiences for all. Their collection consists of editions of the weekly newspapers The Albany News, The Albany Star, and The Albany Echo.
The Old Settler's Association of Grayson County partners with us to provide access to their minutes from 1879-2005. The ledgers and minutes contain handwritten minutes, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and registers of members.
Orange County Historical Society presents its quarterly publication Las Sabinas that provides extensive historical coverage of the southeastern Texas region along the Sabine River. The journal features essays, oral histories; newspaper articles; letters; records of births, marriages, and deaths; photographs; cemetery records; court proceedings and public records.
Twenty women organized the Palacios Library on June 15, 1910. At the end of the year the library had 104 members, 325 books, and $150 in the treasury. The library was originally housed in a narrow framed building, which was once the town box ball alley.
The Palestine Public Library materials include local history photographs selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the digitization of at-Risk photographs and maps, as well as photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.
The Palo Pinto County Historical Association materials include local history from the Palo Pinto County dating from 1890 to the present.
The Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum opened in 1933 as a showcase for the artifacts, art, and archives that document the history and culture of the Texas Panhandle and surrounding plains regions. Its collections in the fields of paleontology, ethnology, natural history, pioneer history, and art cover the region from its prehistory through the modern era.
Panola College has provided the Portal to Texas History with multiple collections, including "Black Gold," a serial written to help to instill leadership skills in African American students, and "The Pony Express" and "Panola Panorama," which encompass the college's student newspaper run. The M.P. Baker Library of Panola College is dedicated to offering resources and services, when and where they are needed, to enhancing the development of the whole student body, and to offering opportunities for students to become lifelong learners.
The Pearce Museum is located on the campus of Navarro College in Corsicana, Texas. Through our mission to connect with the past by engaging today’s visitor through personal perspectives of the Civil War and the American West, we bring to life two important time periods in the history of our nation. By participating in the Portal to Texas History, the Pearce Museum highlights the involvement of Texas during the Civil War, and provides further access of its collection to the general public. For access to our entire collection, please visit us at www.pearcemuseum.com.
Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame collections are diverse in content, covering life of the West Texas ranching heritage, life in the Permian Basin boom towns, and early oilfield camps. The images date from the 1890s to 1950s.
Port Arthur Public Library contributes its collection of photographs of Port Arthur as well as an extensive collection of yearbooks from four Port Arthur high schools.
The Post Public Library contributed its collection of catalogs for the annual OS Ranch Steer Roping and Art Exhibit that were published from 1976 to 1983. The three day event was a means to benefit the West Texas Boys Ranch. While the ropers performed in the arena before thousands of visitors, the artists' western paintings and sculptures were displayed and sold in the old ranch house.
The Pottsboro Area Public Library was organized in May 1985. In April 1986 the library was officially opened in a donated mobile home. October 1989, the Library moved to a location in Preston Plaza, Pottsboro. In 1991, the Resource Savings Building on Highway 120 was purchased with grants, donations and fundraisers. The Pottsboro Area Public Library was accepted in the Northeast Texas Library System (NETLS). It was the only all-volunteer library in the area, including the librarian. In Jan. 1998, the Library received a Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund Grant to provide computers and equipment for patrons to access the Internet. Also in 1998, the International Rotarian District 5810 built and donated a 600 square foot addition to the Library.
The Pottsboro Area Public Library is a 501 (C) (3) organization chartered by the Office of the Secretary of State for the purposes of providing free public services. We have a current contract with the City of Pottsboro and Grayson County. It is operated by the Pottsboro City Operating Board, responsible for the daily function of the library. A separate organization, The Friends of the Library, holds fundraisers and secures grants and donations. We have one part-time salaried librarian, with volunteers serving in various staff positions.
Prairie View A&M University features the Texas Standard, a publication of the State Teachers Association of Texas, 1933-1966. The Texas Standard documents the history of African American teachers in Texas before desegregation.
The Price Johnson Family Collection provides statistic records, deeds, titles, photographs and newspaper articles relating to the history of an African American family started by Sam Price; a slave whose freedom was purchased by the slavemasters' daughter. The various unions between subsequent family members have given rise to land owners, educators, politicians, athletes, and civil rights leaders.
The Private Collection of Bouncer Goin includes local history materials from Mr. Goin's hometown of Aubrey, Texas. Materials include a 1918 Aubrey High School Yearbook; family photos; images of local churches, businesses, and the tornado of April 1918.
Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards includes letters and photographs predominately from Paris, Texas. Materials include photographs of family members, the Paris fire of 1916, and family correspondence. Letters include correspondence between Judge David H. Scott of Paris and family friend, Cyrus I. Scofield, author of the Scofield Reference Bible.
The Private Collection of Carolyn West consists of a photograph collection of historical markers and related buildings in Grayson County, Texas.
The Private Collection of Charles R. Delphenis features photographs of the Delphinas, Vise, Conrady, and Scrivner families of Paris, Texas.
The Private Collection of Elsa Vorwerk provides an insight into the life of Greenwood plantation through handwritten journals from the 1840s through 1866.
As part of the Texas History Collection, the Private Collection of Howard and Brenda McClurkin consists of receipts and letters belonging to slave owners in Texas.
The Private Collection of Jim Bell features photographs of the Texas county courthouses and the surrounding buildings and streets. Photographer and commercial contractor Jim Bell traveled throughout Texas photographing county courthouses, significant historical buildings and landmarks. His photographs also include interior views, architectural details, and historical markers.
The Judge Joseph A. Carroll Collection consists of 80 letters of approximately 129 pages written to and from Judge Carroll between 1856 through 1869. Joseph A. Carroll played a major role in the early development of North Texas. He was a founding father of Denton, Texas as well as a significant player before, during, and after the Civil War in shaping north Texas.
The Private Collection of Joe E. Haynes includes family photographs, as well as a fascinating array of vintage postcards covering every holiday and locations around Texas and beyond.
The Private Collection of Judy Wood and Jim Atkinson contributed their book, Fort Worth's Huge Deal: Unwinding Westside's Twisted Legend. The book discusses Arlington Heights, a neighborhood in Fort Worth that was founded in the late 1880s.
A private collection of photographs and a Pampa High School Yearbook and Student Directory from the late 19th to mid 20th Century.
The Private Collection of Mary Newton Maxwell includes family photographs, letters, and documents along with journals and church registers. The collection spans many Texas counties and over 150 years of Texas history.
The Private Collection of the Matta Family contributes the Simón Lerma de León Collection consisting of photographs and documents relating to Simón Lerma de León an early colonist of west Texas.
The Private Collection of Melvin E. Brewer consists of 39 letters revealing the courtship of Emma Davis and John C. Brewer between 1876 and 1879. John C. Brewer was living in Rockwall County and Emma Davis was in Hopkins County at the time. The collection includes transcriptions of each letter.
The Private Collection of Mike Cochran features photographic negatives of the African-American community of Waco, Texas. The collection consists of numerous studio portraits, marriage portraits, graduation and older family photos.
The Private Collection of Rev. Andrew Stafford contributes texts concerning the history and cultures of Schulenburg, Texas.
The Private Collection of Rosa Walston Latimer consists of original, hand-written letters and other correspondence from former Texas Harvey Girls (and their families) who worked in Harvey Houses along the Santa Fe Railroad in Texas.
The Private Collection of T. B. Willis consists of historical photographs and albums from the Willis family and extended relatives who settled in Waco, Texas in the 19th century.
The Private Collection of Thadious Polasek contributes texts concerning the history and cultures of Schulenburg, Texas.
The Private Collection of the Ellis and Blanton Families includes photographs predominately from Fort Worth, Texas. Materials include photographs of family members, including weddings, and a photo of the Sunday school class from the First Methodist Church in 1906.
The Private Collection of the Raymond B. Holbrook Family contributed Texas Week, the first weekly magazine devoted entirely to the State of Texas.
The Sutherlin Family presents their collection of family letters to and from James Edgar Sutherlin, when he served in the U.S. Navy in WWII. He enlisted before he was 18 and served from 1943 - 1946. Official Navy documents, ship menus, Newsletters, and family photographs are included.
The Private Collection of the Tarver Family includes photographs and other items that document the life of Dr. Wendell Lee Tarver (1931-1971) and his family.
Rice University's Woodson Research Center, part of the Fondren Library, contributes digital copies of the Thresher, the Southwest Chinese Journal, and Osterhout family papers.
The Richard S. and Leah Morris Memorial Library was completed in 2012 with a gift donation from Mr. Richard S. Morris. Their addition of The Claude News to The Portal to Texas History has been generously supported by the Tocker Foundation.
The Richardson Public Library collection features images of early settlers, local farms, and businesses, including Texas Instruments.
The mission of the Rio Grande City Public Library is to maintain and improve the quality of life for all citizens of our community by providing resources that enhance literacy, life-long learning and access to ideas. The Library serves as a hub for patrons to discover the joy of reading and the value of libraries. The Rio Grande City Public Library has over 5,000 library card holders and welcomes 1000 visitors a month. The Library Board of the City of Rio Grande City was created in 2008 and is charged with encouraging development of the public library and with recommending to City Council policies and programs for the advancement of the library.
The River Valley Pioneer Museum located in Canadian, Texas offers a rich collection of Julius Born's photographs of Hemphill and surrounding counties from the early twentieth century.
The Rose Marine Theater opened as a movie house in the 1920s, and was well-known for screening Spanish language films. The theater brought famous Mexican movie stars from the Golden Age of Cinema to Fort Worth to promote their films. These photographs include images of actors and performers such as Tito Guizar, Victor M. Cuevas, Lydia Mendoza, Carlos Lopez Moctezuma, Maria Luisa Zea, Juan Alvarado, Fernando Casanova, Sofia Alvarez, and others. The Rose Marine Theater is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Sachse Public Library provides fair, impartial, and equal access to information and works to meet the educational, recreational, and informational needs of the community.
The Sam Rayburn House Museum has provided a collection of photographs and artwork from the Rayburn family's personal collection. The mission of the Sam Rayburn House Museum is to increase local, regional and national awareness of Sam Rayburn's life and career as a United States Congressman through the preservation and interpretation of the historic site.
The San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation Library documents the history of San Antonio and South Central Texas with an emphasis on the built environment. Our contribution to the portal includes images from the Raba Collection, which consists of photographs of San Antonio street scenes and a few portraits, taken by professional photographer Ernst Raba between c. 1853 and c. 1939.
The San Antonio Public Library changes lives through the transformative power of information, imagination and ideas. They have provided the Portal to Texas History with items from the San Antonio Development Agency documenting urban renewal of an area known as "Laredito" from the 1800's to the present day and funeral programs of the African American community.
The San Jacinto Museum of History contributes select items for the Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman and Texas Revolutionary collection. See an oil painting of de Zavala or read Mary Jane Briscoe's biographical sketch about him. Her family lived at Buffalo Bayou near the de Zavalas when she was a child.
The Sanger Public Library contributes select items for the Rescuing Texas History collection. Images include early businesses and citizens of Sanger.
Schreiner University Logan Library features a selection of materials from its archives. William M. Logan Library is the academic library at Schreiner University in Kerrville, Texas, in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. As part of the library’s mission to provide innovative information resources, Logan Library began digitizing special collections and archival items in 2006. By participating in the Portal to Texas History, Logan Library strives to preserve and improve access to collections of Texas Hill Country history to serve scholars and educators around the world.
The Schulenburg Historical Museum offers exhibits that depict life in the early days of the rural German-Czech community. Their collection includes two books about the history of Schulenburg which have previously been unavailable to online researchers.
Supporters of the Schulenburg Public Library have funded digitization and access to thirty years of the town's historic newspaper, the Schulenburg Sticker, on the Portal to Texas History. In the 1920's, charter members of the Schulenburg Literary Club began a library located in a local residence.
Representing Shamrock, Texas, the Shamrock Public Library is a member of the Harrington Library Consortium in the Texas panhandle. Members of the Thursday Literary Club started The Shamrock Public Library in 1925, and it is still going strong today.
Singletary Memorial Library features Texas' oldest, continuously published weekly The Cherokeean Herald. The library, located in Rusk, received a Tocker Foundation grant to digitize the newspaper.
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza presents nearly 700 photographs from its Dallas Times Herald Collection that document the events surrounding the Kennedy assassination, November 21-25, 1963.
The Smith Public Library is located in Wylie, Texas. Established in 1970 by Rita and Truett Smith, the library has grown from a small space in a local bank building to a full-service 44,000 square foot library.
The Fred Parks Law Library at South Texas College of Law features its student newspaper Annotations that includes local, state and campus news, dating from 1967 to 2009.
Southern Methodist University Libraries contributes select items for the Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman and Texas Revolutionary collection. See broadsides issued by the governor of Coahuila and Texas.
Southwestern University contributes the early years of its school newspaper, The Megaphone. Special Collections anticipates adding more issues of The Megaphone as well as items from the library’s Texas Heritage Resource Center.
St. David's Episcopal Church presents its collection of early photographs, oral histories and parish newsletters and previously published histories of the parish.
St. Mary’s University, founded in 1852 by Marianist brothers and priests, is the first institution of higher learning in San Antonio and the oldest Catholic university in Texas and the Southwest. The University began as St. Mary's College on the banks of the San Antonio River. In 1894, the present campus was acquired and a second Marianist school, St. Louis College, was established. This school became St. Mary's University of San Antonio in 1926. St. Mary’s currently offers more than 75 programs, including two doctoral and two law programs. While St. Mary's has always been and continues to be a Catholic and a Marianist University, it serves people of all faiths in San Antonio, South Texas, and other parts of the nation and the world. The mission of St. Mary’s University, as a Catholic Marianist University, is to foster the formation of people in faith and educate leaders for the common good through community, integrated liberal arts and professional education, and academic excellence.
The St. Mary's University School of Law contributes issues of its student newspaper, the Barrister's News.
St. Philip's College has provided the Portal with items focused around the history of San Antonio's historically black college; including over 500 photographs. The College is dedicated to providing an educational environment which stimulates leadership, personal growth, and a lifelong appreciation for learning while focusing on socioeconomic diversity.
The Star of the Republic Museum is located in Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site, and its mission is to collect and preserve material culture of the Texas Republic. The Star of the Republic Museum's digital collections include books, letters, manuscripts, portraits, maps, photographs, and an impressive variety of artifacts that includes furniture, clothing, buttons, farm implements, china, trade tokens, arrowheads, and looms.
Stella Hill Memorial Library contributes for digitization all extant issues of the local weekly newspaper, the Alto Herald. The newspapers from 1909-1966 provide an ongoing picture of life in and around this small town located on El Camino Real in southern Cherokee County. Alto is one of the oldest towns in East Texas, and the newspapers, with their feature stories, obituaries and advertisements chronicle the history and lifestyle of the era. The digitization was funded by a grant from the Tocker Foundation.
Stonewall County Library presents 89 volumes of yearbooks from the county's three schools: Aspermont, Old Glory and Peacock. This project was funded entirely by donations from interested parties and funds received from the Loan Star Libraries Grant, a direct state aid program for Texas Public Libraries to Stonewall County Library.
The Sulphur Springs Public Library features images of Texans Katie and Buddy Sinclair during WWII. Images include foreign currency, WWII troops, and Camp Bowie. Buddy Sinclair served in the "Texas" 36th Infantry Division. These materials were scanned for the Rescuing Texas History project.
The Sweetwater/Nolan County City-County Library contributes hundreds of issues of the Sweetwater Reporter; a daily newspaper from the city of Sweetwater, Texas. The papers are from 2010- 2012 and contain local, state, and national news, as well as advertising.
The Swisher County Library presents the Tulia Herald from 1918-1962. The weekly newspaper contains, local, national and world news, stories, poetry, jokes, and advertisements. Funding for this project was provided by the Tocker Foundation.
The Talkington/Clement Family Archives include 500 pages and 50 photographs that provide accounts of the Texas frontier before the Civil War, as well as a memoir of Perry Clement Talkington. The family archives also provide a genealogy of both the Talkington and Clement families.
Tarleton State University contributes its collection of school newspapers and serials The Texas Miner and Texas Mining and Trade Journal, published by the Texas Pacific Coal Company, that recounts company life in Thurber, Texas.
As part of its mission to collect, preserve, and offer for research documents which are a record of the history of Tarrant County, the Tarrant County Archives has partnered with us to provide access to the Woman's Wednesday Club minutes. The minutes are a record of 115 years of meetings and document club business, motions, events, and membership.
Tarrant County College District Archives contributes digital copies of materials that document local and state history, including images of businesses, cemeteries, churches, courthouses, lawmen, monuments, outlaws, schools, Native Americans, and early pioneers of Tarrant County.
The Taylor Public Library contributes hundreds of photographs to the Are We There Yet? Transportation in Central Texas collection. The photos date from 1883 to the 1960s and show buildings, automobiles, businesses, and various other aspects of the history of Taylor, Texas and outlying communities.
The Texas Art Education Association presents its annual publication Texas Trends in Art Education dating back to 1941.
The Texas Chapter of the American Fisheries Society collection contains photos, documents, and newsletters from the Chapter’s beginnings in 1975 to the present. TCAFS membership includes people from various state agencies, universities, and businesses. Its mission is to inspire the conservation, development, and wise utilization of recreational and commercial fisheries, promotion of all branches of fisheries science and practice, and the exchange and dissemination of knowledge about fish, fisheries, and related subjects.
The Texas Department of Transportation Photo Library contributes a selection of photographs from its vast collection.
The Texas General Land Office contributes items from their Historic County Map Collection, ca. 1838-1939 ( 926 maps), Lorenzo de Zavala Online (13 items), and the O. Henry Collection (11 items). The historic county maps are cadastral (land ownership) maps, showing original surveys, usually made by virtue of a land grant, within a particular county in Texas. In Lorenzo de Zavala Online, see the Expediente of de Zavala's 1829 colonization contract, as well as correspondence to or from Jose Angel Navarro, Jose Domingo Ugartechea, Jose Maria Falcon, Martin Perfecto de Cos, Stephen F. Austin, Manuel de Mier y Teran, and Ramon Musquiz. As part of the O. Henry Collection, the General Land Office contributes maps drawn and signed by O. Henry, administrative records, newspaper clippings, a written account, and a land grant records.
Texas Historical Commission (THC) contributes its quarterly publication The Medallion containing articles about historic sites, preservation issues, and heritage tourism opportunities in Texas. The Texas Historical Commission is the state agency for historic preservation. THC staff consults with citizens and organizations to preserve Texas' architectural, archeological, and cultural landmarks.
The Texas Historical Foundation sponsored digitization of two projects. They partnered with us to provide access to their quarterly Heritage magazine, which publishes articles related to the preservation of historic artifacts and sites around Texas. The Texas Historical Foundation also funded the digitization of several volumes of the early session laws of the Republic of Texas.
The Texas Medical Association (originally Texas State Medical Association) was founded in 1853, six years after the American Medical Association and eight years after Texas statehood.
The Texas Parks & Wildlife Department (TPWD) manages and protects the state's parks and historical areas as well as its wildlife and habitats. The TPWD and the Battleship TEXAS State Historic Site present a photograph collection which documents the battleship from its beginning as a warship to its current status as a permanent memorial museum.
Texas Southern University presents more than 200 photographs from its extensive Barbara C. Jordan Archives collection. The photographs record Barbara Jordan's political activities during the early 1970's.
The Texas State Genealogical Society partnered with us to provide access to their quarterly journal, Stirpes, from 1961 to 1990. Stirpes contains unpublished records and other materials whose purpose is to stimulate and support the research and teaching of genealogy.
The Texas State Historical Association features its publications The Southwestern Historical Quarterly (1897-2004) and the Texas Almanac (1857-2004). Organized in Austin on March 2, 1897, the Texas State Historical Association is the oldest learned society in the state. Its mission is to "foster the appreciation, understanding, and teaching of the rich and unique history of Texas and, by example and through programs and activities, encourage and promote research, preservation, and publication of historical material affecting the state of Texas."
The Texas State Library and Archives Commission contributes select items for the Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman and Texas Revolutionary collection. Three times de Zavala resigned as the interim Vice-President of the Republic of Texas, and all of those letters can be found here, along with correspondence to or from Enrique Rueg, J. Benito Camacho, David G. Burnet, J. Mariano Irala, Jorge Antonio Nixon, Joaquin Noriega, Archivaldo Hopkins, and Philip Dimmitt.
The Texas State Preservation Board was established in 1983 to preserve, maintain, and restore the State Capitol and the General Land Office building. The Preservation Board contributed photographs of artifacts that were in use at the General Land Office when O Henry worked in the department.
Texas Tech University's Rawls College of Business contributed issues of its alumni newsletters and funding reports.
Texas Wesleyan University, founded in 1890 in Fort Worth, is a United Methodist institution with a tradition in the liberal arts and sciences and a focus on professional and career preparation. Our mission at Texas Wesleyan University is to develop students to their full potential as individuals and as members of the world community. Texas Wesleyan has historically combined service to a residential population along with its strong commitment to a commuting and adult population.
Texas Woman's University Woman's Collection partnered with us to provide images of their campus, yearbooks, photographs, and other memorabilia to the Rescuing Texas History, 2010 and From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History collections.
The Travis County District Clerk's Office has provided a selection of criminal case documents from 1853. The Office of the District Clerk in the office of record for all proceedings heard in the state district courts.
The United States 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum contributes a selection of its photograph collection. Located in Abilene, Texas, the 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum serves as a display and teaching museum for the study of World War II and its impact on the American people.
The Tyrrell Historical Library presents a selection of its local history archives that consist of personal papers, business, civic, fraternal, organizational, and city records. The collections capture a wide array of material including family letters, journals, diaries, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, business reports, minutes and correspondence, along with thousands of photographs. The Tyrrell Historical Library is a unique library in that it collects and preserves the history of the greater Beaumont area, which also includes the history of southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana. The library as a historical research repository was established in 1975.
The University of Texas at Austin contributes select items for the Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman and Texas Revolutionary collection from the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History and the Benson Latin American Collection.
The University of Dallas Library provides copies of The University News, a weekly student newspaper of the University, to the Texas Digital Newspaper Program. The paper discusses news, sports, arts, entertainment, and other various events and organizations related to the campus and student life.
The University of Houston Libraries' Special Collections presents a large collection of personal letters from Mary (Mrs. Anson) Jones, dated between 1866 to 1882, discussing local affairs, family and friends. After Anson Jones's death, there were issues relating to land claims and taxes on land owned by the family. The bulk of the letters are to Mary Jones's son, Cromwell Anson Jones.
The University of Texas at Arlington Libraries contributes a large collection of maps, photographs, books, and letters to several collections, including German Immigration to Texas, Humanities Texas Grant, and Where the West Begins: Capturing Fort Worth's Historic Treasures. They also provide select items for the Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman and Texas Revolutionary collection.
The Eugene McDermott Library's Special Collections and Archives Division at the University of Texas at Dallas presents a selection of The History of Aviation Collection. The Collection preserves the history and legacy of aviation, with a special emphasis on aviation and Texas, the Cold War, World War I, Lighter than Air flight, and the post war papers of General James Doolittle.
The University of Texas at El Paso Library has contributed digital copies of books from the period of the Mexican Revolution and has participated in a project that digitized the El Paso Morning Times, also from the period of the Mexican Revolution, when the newspaper included news in Spanish.
This collections features 1,000 images from the 1968 HemisFair, "The Confluence of Civilizations in the Americas." The photographs and slides document the fair, from the construction of buildings to visits by important people such as Lyndon B. Johnson, Lady Bird Johnson, John Connally, and Henry B. Gonzalez. From April to October of 1968, over 6 million people visited the fair which brought international attention to San Antonio and Texas.
The Texas Folklife Festival is an annual event sponsored by the University of Texas at San Antonio's Institute of Texan Cultures that celebrates the many ethnicities represented in the state of Texas. Modeled after the Smithsonian’s Folklife Festival, the first event was held in 1972 on the on the grounds of the Institute in HemisFair Park. Thousands attend the three-day event each year, which features cultural foods, dances, and musical performances.
The Libraries of the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio have contributed a selection of books from the P.I. Nixon Medical History Library and selected membership records from the Bexar County Medical Society Records housed in the University Archives. The books were collected by Dr. P. I. Nixon and other physicians in San Antonio and provide a snapshot of San Antonio culture, climate, and medical conditions in nineteenth and early twentieth-century Texas. Some of the books are autobiographies of pioneer Texas physicians. Membership records are limited to members born 1910 or earlier and contain photographs and information on family, training, and experience.
The University of Texas-Pan American images include local history materials selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps. Images include panoramic photographs of the Southwestern Land Excursion Company and glass plate negatives documenting the history of Hidalgo County.
Library facilities at the University of North Texas function as the nerve center for teaching and academic research. In addition to a major collection of electronic journals, books and databases, five campus facilities house just under six million cataloged holdings, including books, periodicals, maps, documents, microforms, audiovisual materials, music scores, full-text journals and books. A branch library is located at the University of North Texas Dallas Campus.
The Digital Projects Unit supports the UNT Libraries with guidance and digital services including imaging, archival storage of electronic files, metadata development, and other activities as needed. Their contributions include UNT related photographs and documents.
Serving as both a federal and a state depository library, the UNT Libraries Government Documents Department maintains a collection of over 1 million items in a variety of formats including print, microform, audiovisual, maps, posters, musical scores, LPs, CD-ROMs, and Web documents. The department is a member of the FDLP Content Partnerships Program and an Affiliated Archive of the National Archives.
The Special Collections department collects and preserves rare and unique materials including rare books, oral histories, university archives, historical manuscripts, maps, microfilm, photographs, art and artifacts. Students, faculty and the public are welcome to access collections and view special exhibits in our Fourth floor Reading Room.
The University of North Texas Press was founded in 1987 and published its first book in 1989. Though it is the newest university press in North Texas, it has quickly become a leading press with the most titles in print (more than 300) and published (15 to 18 each year). The UNT Press is a fully accredited member of the Association of American University Presses. Its books are distributed and marketed nationally and internationally through the Texas A&M University Press Consortium.
The HRC serves MD Anderson and the larger scholarly community by preserving, cataloging, and providing access to materials documenting the clinical, research, educational, and cancer prevention activities of MD Anderson's faculty, staff, and affiliated organizations. The "Making Cancer History Voices" collection documents the history of the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Personal interviews with the men and women of M.D. Anderson who dedicated their work to eliminating cancer provide unique insights into a host of important social, medical, political, and scientific developments related to cancer.
UT Southwestern Medical Center Library contributes a book for the Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman and Texas Revolutionary collection: Memorial to the legislature of the State of Texas, of Wm. H. Jones, Administrator of the estate of Lorenzo de Zavala, deceased, empresario of Zavala's Colony.
Materials from the Val Verde County Historical Commission include images during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio in 1976, featuring local area homes, businesses, and churches.
Victoria College/University of Houston-Victoria presents over 200 photographs belonging to J.D. Mitchell, a rancher in Calhoun County who would later serve as a Texas state representative. The photographs depict ranching practices, hunting and the topography of Calhoun and Victoria County.
The Witte Museum contributes more than 200, The Witte Museum's more than 183,000 artifacts include diverse collections in anthropology, archives, arms and armor, art, history, military history, natural history, and textiles, and reflect the cultural mix of South Texas and illustrates how each is intertwined in the lives of South Texans of the past, present, and future.
The Weatherford College collections include early photographs from the College's founding, as well as images from the Jim Wright collection and Mary Martin collection. Jim Wright served 34 years in the U. S. House of Representatives, and two years as Speaker of the House, and this collection features images of politicians such as Ronald Reagan, George Bush and many others collected by Jim Wright over the years. The Mary Martin collection features images from her days as a Broadway star.
The Weslaco Museum's collections feature photographs from Weslaco's annual "Birthday Party" fashion show. Organized by the Chamber of Commerce to highlight the fruit and vegetables grown in the Rio Grande Valley, area citizens created and modeled clothing made from local fruit, vegetables, and flowers.
The West Public Library opened its current location in 1989 after the local community raised half of the costs through various fundraisers matching the other half of the costs provided by the City of West. The West Public Library presents the West Newspaper Collection. On June 11, 1892 West was officially organized into a town. It had become the center of commerce for the area.
Western Texas College Library features a selection of archival materials that document the college's founding and correspondence with notable statesmen. Western Texas College, located in Snyder, Texas offers programs of study that qualify students for the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree and programs that qualify students for the Associate of Applied Science Degree.
Wiley College partnered with the Portal to provide access to a few of the earliest Wiley University (as it was known then) yearbooks. as well as a biography of College President Matthew W. Dogan. Wiley College was founded in 1873, and is one of the first predominately African-American Colleges west of the Mississippi River.
The Williamson Museum contributes over one hundred photographs and contributes to the Are We There Yet? Transportation in Central Texas collection. Ranging from the 1860s to the 1970s, the photos depict historical transportation methods used in Texas.
Wilson County Historical Society contributes its collection of photographs of people, places, and structures that show the rich history of Wilson County, often called the "Cradle of Texas Ranching."
The Wolf Creek Heritage Museum partnered with us to provide access to materials that document the history of Lipscomb County. Materials include photographs of early citizens, tornado damage from the devastating storms of 1947 and 1949, and ranching. The collections also include two books: Lipscomb County Cemeteries and A History of Lipscomb County, Texas, 1876-1976.
The Zula Bryant Wylie Public Library, formerly named the Cedar Hill Public Library, began in a small frame building in 1948. After several moves, its current building is located at 225 Cedar Street and was completed in 1987. The mission of the Zula B. Wylie Public Library is to be the community place that acts as the Door to Discovery that connects our culturally rich and diverse community to resources that promote lifelong literacy, the arts, and personal development.