Explore by Partners
Lamar State College - Orange contributes their collection of The Orange Leader, a newspaper in Southeast Texas that dates back to the late 1800's. Lamar-Orange opened in 1969 as an extension center of Lamar University in Beaumont and later earned independent accreditation in 1989 and received separate degree-granting authority two years later.
Lamar University presents editions of the school's student-run newspapers and the Larry Jene Fisher Photography Collection. The collections document and illustrate the history of the University as well as the surrounding counties in East Texas.
Lambshead, one of Texas' most historic cattle ranches, is still owned and operated by the direct descendants of Judge J.A. and Sallie Reynolds Matthews. The Reynolds and Matthews were pioneer ranchers and trail drivers who arrived in East Texas in the 1850's and at the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, in 1866. These photographs document ranching history, ranching practices and changes in the land.
Twenty years ago in 1977, 17 "want-a-be" genealogists gathered at the Lancaster Veterans Memorial Library. It was their express aim to promote interest in genealogy and preserving family histories. They chose to call this group the Lancaster Genealogical Society. Now, the roster includes members from Cedar Hill, Dallas, DeSoto, Duncanville, Hutchins, Lancaster, Midlothian, Ovilla, Red Oak, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. Their contribution to the Portal includes issues of the weekly newspaper, the Lancaster Herald.
The Laredo Public Library materials include local history materials selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps. Images include photographs of the border area, Fort McIntosh and maps of early Laredo.
The LBJ Museum of San Marcos has partnered with us to contribute the Norman Dietel Photograph Collection, which contains photos of Lyndon B. Johnson and his family, press conferences, ceremonies, and other historic political events. Noteworth persons included in the photos include Sam Rayburn, John F. Kennedy, Billy Moyers, and Harry Truman.
Helen Hall Library of League City features its photograph collection spanning more than a century. Included are the Joseph C. Kilgore Collection, the Caroline Atkinson D'Etchegoyen Collection and the Albert Kiecke Scrapbook Collection.
The Lena Armstrong Public Library contributes a ledger that chronicles Confederate veterans who settled in Bell County, Texas, after the Civil War. The ledger lists members by the state they enlisted in, often includes notes on where particular people fought, and may note a date of death.
The Livingston Municipal Library, formerly the Murphy Memorial Library, presents issues of the East Texas Pinery and the Polk County Enterprise, newspapers that served Livingston, Texas from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company, Fort Worth, collaborated with us to provide access to photographs from their extensive image archives of the Mile Long Hangar, formerly operated by Consolidated Aircraft Corporation. The images focus on the thousands of hard-working women who contributed to the war effort by constructing over 3,000 B-24 Liberators.
The Log Cabin Village collections feature 19th century photographs of the Tompkins, Parks, Howard, and Foster families, including tintypes and daguerreotypes. Two letter collections include correspondence between the Parks and Howard families dating from 1840 to 1940.
Longview Public Library and Gregg County Historical Society feature its collection of photographs that document the development of Longview and the surrounding communities in East Texas.
Lubbock High School is Lubbock's first and oldest high school. Their contribution to the Portal includes issues of its student run newspaper, the Westerner World.
The Lucy Hill Patterson Memorial Library of Rockdale, Texas contributes issues of the Cameron Herald, a weekly newspaper that served Cameron, Texas.