Saving / Printing / E-mailing
How do I bookmark an item?
Every web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari or Opera, enables you to save a link to a web page or image. Please use your browser's options to bookmark a web page in the Portal. You can also use the Share feature located in the right-hand navigation displayed with each item record.
How do I print an item record or image?
Print an Item Record
- Select an item from the search results list by clicking either its title or thumbnail image.
- Use your web browser options to print the record, or click on Share in the right-hand navigation and then click Print.
Print an Image
- Select an item from the search results list by clicking either its title or thumbnail image. The image is presented with a brief record
- Click on the image
- Click on "All Image Sizes" in the right-hand navigation
- Choose image size and then use your web browser to print or save the image
Tip: All items in the Portal are JPEG-formatted digital images of the original item. For example, each photograph, as well as an individual page of a book, is actually an image!
How do I save an item record or image?
Save an Item Record
- Select an item from the search results list by clicking on either its title or thumbnail image.
- The image is presented with a brief record.
- Use your web browser to save the brief (or full item) record.
Save an Image
- Select an item from the Search Results list by clicking either its title or thumbnail image.
- The image is presented with a brief record. Click on the image.
- Click on "All Image Sizes" in the right-hand navigation.
- Choose an image size and then use your web browser to save the image.
How do I find out which institution (Partner) holds the original item?
Within the Portal, every item's record provides the name of the Partner that holds the item. Beneath the Partner's name in the item record, click on About, which will take you to more information about the Partner - including contact information.
How can I get a copy of an entire document, book, or map?
Currently, we do not provide reprints, or copies, of these types of materials. We suggest that you contact the original holding institution (Partner) for information about whether copies may be available for a particular item.
Can I "zoom in" on a portion of a newspaper and then print just that portion?
Yes. For complete instructions, please see the Printing Guide.
How do I get a printed photo or a high quality digital copy of the image?
Our Partners have all the original images, so to obtain a high resolution digital image or a printed copy of an image, we ask that you contact the Partner directly.
How do I e-mail an item record or image?
There are two ways to e-mail an item record or image:
- Copy the web site address from your browser's location bar and then paste the address in the text of an e-mail and send.
- Select Share in the right-hand navigation displayed with an item record and then click Email.
Can I e-mail a list of search results?
Yes. Copy the URL from your browserâ€™s location bar and paste it into the body of your e-mail message.
Do you have persistent links to items?
Yes, each item has a unique web page address (URL), which displays in your browser's location bar. This URL is a persistent link that will ensure you can always find this item again.
Do you offer RSS?
Yes, you can subscribe to a feed for any page that displays the RSS icon. Simply click on the icon and follow the prompts to set up your feed.